No announcement yet.

Cast Iron or Stainless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I regularly clean the grill of my Weber in the WFO, I just throw it on the coals after cooking and add a little wood on top. All the greasy crud just burns away. The next morning I remove it and brush off the ash.
    Last edited by david s; 04-14-2022, 01:40 PM. Reason: typo
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by hillscp View Post
      I got the steven raichlen cast iron one. Just ask alexa. I like cast iron. Holds heat and you can't see the stains.
      I purchased a custom stainless steel one.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chach;n445300]
        Originally posted by Pizza Guy FL View Post
        The Burn Shop got back to me. SS grate similar to what you have above is $450. They told me SS price is crazy now!
        Carbon Steel is $150.

I dont think Ive used carbon steel for any cooking in the past. Would this be a good choice and how would it compare to a cast iron grate?[/QUOTE

Yes steel in general is crazy. My material for work has almost tripled. I for sure did not pay that price or would pay that. They did do a great job but not worth the money for something you use a fraction of the time. Carbon steel is good as well but just like JR said, keep it oiled after each use and when storing it. I keep mine in my gas grill when im.not using it and when I use the gas grill I just take it out and leave it on the side until I'm done.

I don't think $150 is terrible for a custom-designed one but you can get them cheaper at stores and online but they will not be as beefy as the one they will make for you.

I also belive the one I have is bigger than the ones you buy in-store ls and online I can give you the dimensions if you are interested.. Just make sure it will fit in your oven entry. I kept mine small enough to fit inside a full-size sheet pan to collect the drippings so the oven floor doesn't get all greasy.

Ricky
        I know this question has been asked and answered a gazillion times over the internet, but every website I've looked at and every video I've seen has given me conflicting, contradicting information. I wanna try and get closer to the truth. Some places have said that cast iron has better heat distribution than stainless steel, others have said the exact opposite. Does anyone know which it is? What are some advantages and disadvantages of either of the materials for pans? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by David s View Post
          I regularly clean the grill of my Weber in the WFO, I just throw it on the coals after cooking and add a little wood on top. All the greasy crud just burns away. The next morning I remove it and brush off the ash.
          Brilliant David! But how do you fit them through the door opening? You must have a wide door!
          My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
          My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

The grill is 39cm wide and the oven mouth is 40cm

i don’t really know the answer to your question, but it probably rests on the fact that cast iron is way more conductive than stainless. Because ithe cast iron will be a lot thicker there’s also lots more thermal mass. These two characteristics combined will affect the cooking qualities.
            Last edited by david s; 02-01-2023, 12:37 PM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Chainsaw13 I think david s is spot on in his answer about cast vs ss. I like both metals for my cooking. On an open windy campsite over the coals, I like cast iron for the reason Dave stated. However, inside the confines of WFO it doesn't really matter which you use. The heat is coming from all sides and directions. In a WFO I like the lightest, easiest to clean pan, pot, or skillet that I can find. That puts ss and enameled wear at the top of my list for most WFO cooking.

MarkJerling Being a big fan of Weber grills, I did not question Dave's reply in post# 16. I have 3 sizes of Weber grills. The grates of the two smaller grill sizes would easily fit through my oven door. The standard size Weber that I have won't. You probably have the standard size Weber Kettle which is 22" or 55.88 cm if my conversion is correct.
              Last edited by Gulf; 02-02-2023, 05:04 PM.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Being a big fan of Weber grills, I did not question Dave's reply in post# 16. I have 3 sizes of Weber grills. The grates of the two smaller grill sizes would easily fit through my oven door. The standard size Weber that I have won't. You probably have the standard size Weber Kettle which is 22" or 55.88 cm if my conversion is correct.
                Indeed. We (also) have the small camping one, which will fit, but the 570mm one (which I suspect is your 22") is too large. My oven door opening is 508mm. Dang, I should have built a bigger oven! LOL

I'm a big fan of Weber BBQs. Fun fact: You can date any Weber kettle BBQ from the number on the ventilation opening cover on the lid. And, yes, they carry replacement parts so your Weber can last a lifetime. Ours is more than 20 years old and with regular use is still as good as new.
                Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-05-2023, 12:29 AM.
                My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Working...
                X