X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• egalecki
    replied
    Re: Gluten-Free Oven Use

I have the same problem with scallops. I love them and had eaten them all my life, but a number of years ago I had 3 episodes in a row in which I ended up not knowing whether to face the toilet or sit on it- my dad finally said "Just stop eating the @#$% things!". I was trying to blame it on bad scallops, but no one else was sick.....

But no other fish or shellfish does that to me at all.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

Amber and all,

Strange how these allergies develop. I've been called "iron gut," because I've always been able to eat anything without problems, fish to fowl, domestic or wild, weird and not. No more. I cheaped out one day two months ago and bought some cans of flaked tuna at a ridiculously low price, name brand, too. Two hours after the tuna salad sandwich, I thought I was going to die. A projectile response does not do justice to the violence of the reaction. Twice since then, I've eaten shrimp (one of my favourite foods) and had exactly the same reaction within minutes. Looks like my system is saying, "Them days are over, buddy, live with it." What's even stranger is fresh water or salt water fish seems okay. At least I'll save a heap of dough (baker's joke) on lobster.

Best to be safe than sorry in the bathroom later.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

You're right, the question is whether or not the gluten is rendered harmless by the intense heat. I just don't know that. If the pizza stone hasn't had gluten on it, I don't see why it wouldn't be ok. I have a child allergic to shrimp, and while so far it's only been some mild swelling upon exposure, you'd better believe that I do everything I can to avoid exposure of any kind. The problem comes when she eats out- I got a frantic phone call the first week of college when she realized that the fried rice she'd just eaten had shrimp in it. She was ok, thank goodness, but it scared her enough to remember to ask what things have in them from then on!!!

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

That's what we were thinking - Has anyone else had luck with this?

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I don't know, but just for safety's sake, I'd use the stone. More work for you, but potentially a lot less misery for her.

Leave a comment:

• amber
    started a topic Gluten-Free Oven Use

Gluten-Free Oven Use

I have a friend who's gluten intolerant (like really really intolerant) and I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas for using the oven both for her and for everyone else. Does the gluten that's scattered around the oven get killed at such high temperatures? Would using a pizza stone specifically for her be the way to go?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Amber
Working...
X