X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archena
    replied
    Re: Gluten-Free Oven Use

It should work. Just make sure that none of the ingredients in the mix are repeated in the recipe - or will have the same effect as another ingredient. The yeast is going to be tricky - most mixes include it (I think). You'll have to adjust the recipe accordingly.

The mix I found looked fine - it did include xanthan gum and maple sugar though. Still, I think it would work but you might want one without the sugar to better match most dough recipes.

Gluten Free Bread Mix | Gluten Evolution
    Last edited by Archena; 09-01-2009, 06:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rodneyf
    replied

My mum has the same problem and I really want to make a pizza for her but I don't have a recipe for the base. She is also a vegetarian so I don't think pork rind is the way to go and I was wondering if I could use a gluten free bread mix as a substitute for the flour in my pizza base dough. Has anybody tried this yet and do you think it will work?

Leave a comment:

• thebadger
    replied

My neigbhor has celiac. She just brings her "special" pizza crust on a metal pan that we use in the oven. Not the same effect you get on the stone but she doesn't seem to mind.

Dick

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Thanks, BC! I forgot...

I like the terracotta tray idea. I'll have to keep that one in mind.

Leave a comment:

• eyepatch
    replied

My sons has Celiac's. You just have to get used to separate EVERYTHING. But once you do, it'll be fine. We use a terracotta tray for the food we prepare for him in the oven.

Cheers,
    Mike

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

And for the recipe, odd is a good word...

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

She has Celiac, so gluten-free is the name of the game. Thanks for the tip

Leave a comment:

• brokencookie
    replied

Here it is. Looks kind of interesting

Pork Rind Pizza Crust Recipe @ CDKitchen.com :: it's what's cooking online!

Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

I'll have to hunt for it - I'm in the process of moving and on my laptop for now. I'll see what I can find...

The pancake recipe I know where is - now, where did I see pizza crust?

Leave a comment:

• brokencookie
    replied

Use a pan or a dedicated stone. My experience has been that all of the gluten free doughs need to be rolled out with a rolling pin or shaped like frosting a cake. After you achieve the pizza shape is is very difficult to transfer until after you have cooked it for awhile. A cheap pizza pan is the fastest and easiest solution. I have shaped rice flour pizza on a hot stone but I would not recommend it. If she can tolerate any gluten then Spelt is a good alternative. If is fairly easy to modify a wheat recipe and Spelt only has a little bit of gluten. If she has Celiac or is completely Gluten intolerent then you are stuck with the rice/soy/bean flours. It's doable but becomes much more of a production.

Bruce

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

Pork rind crust? I'd love to know about that. Our plan is to make her stuff first and just not let her get seconds

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Drake's right - even if high heat would destroy gluten the pizza itself never reaches those temps. Pizza that does get that hot is called 'charcoal'. A dedicated stone and meticulous cleaning are your best bet.

Your prep area is the greater risk. If you're going to cross contaminate that's where it will happen. If she's that intolerant use a different prep area or do a complete wipe down before prepping hers - especially if they are seconds. You're more likely to make a mistake once you've done it a few times and the paranoia wears off.

You might try the (awful sounding) alternative of pork rind crust. I can probably find a link if you like.

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

Thanks, it's nice to have a few other oppinions

Leave a comment:

• DrakeRemoray
    replied

Gluten is definitely not killed off by heat...You will prob end up cooking whatever pizza recipe you find on a sheet pan for her anyway...not too much stretchy pizza dough without gluten...

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

I agree - better safe than sorry. We're thinking we can have a pizza stone that we use only for her and then remove and wash it when we're done. That and cook her stuff first...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X