Gluten-Free Oven Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluten-Free Oven Use

I have a friend who's gluten intolerant (like really really intolerant) and I'm wondering if anyone else has any ideas for using the oven both for her and for everyone else. Does the gluten that's scattered around the oven get killed at such high temperatures? Would using a pizza stone specifically for her be the way to go?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Amber

Re: Gluten-Free Oven Use

I don't know, but just for safety's sake, I'd use the stone. More work for you, but potentially a lot less misery for her.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

That's what we were thinking - Has anyone else had luck with this?

Comment

You're right, the question is whether or not the gluten is rendered harmless by the intense heat. I just don't know that. If the pizza stone hasn't had gluten on it, I don't see why it wouldn't be ok. I have a child allergic to shrimp, and while so far it's only been some mild swelling upon exposure, you'd better believe that I do everything I can to avoid exposure of any kind. The problem comes when she eats out- I got a frantic phone call the first week of college when she realized that the fried rice she'd just eaten had shrimp in it. She was ok, thank goodness, but it scared her enough to remember to ask what things have in them from then on!!!
        Elizabeth

Comment

Amber and all,

Strange how these allergies develop. I've been called "iron gut," because I've always been able to eat anything without problems, fish to fowl, domestic or wild, weird and not. No more. I cheaped out one day two months ago and bought some cans of flaked tuna at a ridiculously low price, name brand, too. Two hours after the tuna salad sandwich, I thought I was going to die. A projectile response does not do justice to the violence of the reaction. Twice since then, I've eaten shrimp (one of my favourite foods) and had exactly the same reaction within minutes. Looks like my system is saying, "Them days are over, buddy, live with it." What's even stranger is fresh water or salt water fish seems okay. At least I'll save a heap of dough (baker's joke) on lobster.

Best to be safe than sorry in the bathroom later.

Jim
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I have the same problem with scallops. I love them and had eaten them all my life, but a number of years ago I had 3 episodes in a row in which I ended up not knowing whether to face the toilet or sit on it- my dad finally said "Just stop eating the @#$% things!". I was trying to blame it on bad scallops, but no one else was sick.....

But no other fish or shellfish does that to me at all.
            Elizabeth

Comment

I agree - better safe than sorry. We're thinking we can have a pizza stone that we use only for her and then remove and wash it when we're done. That and cook her stuff first...

Comment

Gluten is definitely not killed off by heat...You will prob end up cooking whatever pizza recipe you find on a sheet pan for her anyway...not too much stretchy pizza dough without gluten...
                My Oven Thread:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Thanks, it's nice to have a few other oppinions

Comment

Drake's right - even if high heat would destroy gluten the pizza itself never reaches those temps. Pizza that does get that hot is called 'charcoal'. A dedicated stone and meticulous cleaning are your best bet.

Your prep area is the greater risk. If you're going to cross contaminate that's where it will happen. If she's that intolerant use a different prep area or do a complete wipe down before prepping hers - especially if they are seconds. You're more likely to make a mistake once you've done it a few times and the paranoia wears off.

You might try the (awful sounding) alternative of pork rind crust. I can probably find a link if you like.
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                    [/CENTER]

Comment

Pork rind crust? I'd love to know about that. Our plan is to make her stuff first and just not let her get seconds

Comment

Use a pan or a dedicated stone. My experience has been that all of the gluten free doughs need to be rolled out with a rolling pin or shaped like frosting a cake. After you achieve the pizza shape is is very difficult to transfer until after you have cooked it for awhile. A cheap pizza pan is the fastest and easiest solution. I have shaped rice flour pizza on a hot stone but I would not recommend it. If she can tolerate any gluten then Spelt is a good alternative. If is fairly easy to modify a wheat recipe and Spelt only has a little bit of gluten. If she has Celiac or is completely Gluten intolerent then you are stuck with the rice/soy/bean flours. It's doable but becomes much more of a production.

Bruce
                        Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

I'll have to hunt for it - I'm in the process of moving and on my laptop for now. I'll see what I can find...

The pancake recipe I know where is - now, where did I see pizza crust?
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                          [/CENTER]

Comment

Here it is. Looks kind of interesting

Pork Rind Pizza Crust Recipe @ CDKitchen.com :: it's what's cooking online!

Bruce
                            Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

She has Celiac, so gluten-free is the name of the game. Thanks for the tip

Comment

Working...
                              X