• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nissanneill
    replied
    Re: Mixers

Elizabeth,
    sorry, in the rush of last night (I actually put up the post whilst we still had guests), I overlooked your questions.

by the way. In the picture of the mixer, the bowl seemed long and narrow. Does that shape complicate the hook? As opposed to shorter and wider like my KA hook, I mean.
    The mixer is the 'smallest commercial' one that I could find. I am not sure why they claim it is a "10 quart" but will mix comfortably 5 Kg. The design of the bowl is a little unusual in that it is rather long and pointed on the bottom rather than being flatter and squat (more like the KA) That is why I had to make a narrow hook that when turning in the planetary motion, clears the bottom and sides by only 5 mm The Kenwood that I have been using had more like a 20mm clearance.

There are so many different types and styles of hooks but I was limited with time and ability to bend a rather convaluted spiral shape to fit the mixer and bowl assembly whilst trying to get tight bends out of 5/8" (16mm) stainless steel bar. You should have seen me grunting with a 3' long extension on a vehicle tow bar (that slipped over the rod) trying to 'cold bend' it to clear the bowl.
    It will never move that it is now welded into the boss.

Ken,

(I think my KA hook could stand for some improvement)
    The KA I would imagine could do with only a flattened 3/8" stainless spiral hook, as it looks a rather simple shape.
    You really do need the machine and bowl to 'fit the hook' properly. It is abit like making a shirt with dimensions only. Yes it will fit ok but would be better if tailor made.
    And definitely NO to going into a new business. I would end up making them all for the cost of materials.
    I developed a new process of making printed architectural surfacings for the model railroaders in the UK, printed 10's of thousands of different sheets in various colours, styles, brick bonds etc but look to doing what I want to do rather than what I need or have to do today.

Jed,

It'll be so much fun making and baking, you might need to get into the butter and honey business to keep the toppings ready for the bread and buns!
    I think that it will come in very handy for making a load or two of doughnut mix for the grand kids when they get old enough. We're expecting out third grandchild in a couple of weeks and our other two children are trying for their second, so it looks like the kitchen will be getting a workout.
    I will be making some batches of 'hot cross' buns with a spicy chili cross (isn't that why they call them hot cross buns?)

Francis,

I have been sort of keeping an eye open for metal working courses here... but no luck so far.
    Contact the school(s) where they teach structural engineering. Over here, we have tertiary education between the high schools and university (called TAFE - Technical and Further education). They should have blacksmithing courses which might only run during the day but often are available at night for the interested non tradespeople!

Neill
    Last edited by nissanneill; 12-20-2008, 03:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jed
    replied

Neill,

With those dough hooks installed, you are creating a great looking mixer!

It'll be so much fun making and baking, you might need to get into the butter and honey business to keep the toppings ready for the bread and buns!

Keep up the good work.

JED

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Neill,

Once you find the "perfect" dough hook, you'll have a new business on your hands. "Neill's Custom Dough Hooks". You'll need to create adapters for all the popular machines (I think my KA hook could stand for some improvement).
    Last edited by Ken524; 12-20-2008, 08:08 AM. Reason: Typing too fast.

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Well, we just finished a wonderful pizza feast with some sultans scrolls and topped the evening off with 3 loaves of bread, Will put them under "what I cooked last night" or rather tonight!
    I didn't get to finish the dough hooks until AFTER I made both my pizza and bread doughs which was after 1:00 pm this afternoon for a 6:00pm meal
    They are however finished now and I need to play with them to see how they perform.
    Here are a couple of pictures, they still need a little polishing but look like they will do the job.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

I think having your own forge (and using it) is way cool, too!

I have been sort of keeping an eye open for metal working courses here... but no luck so far. They have these courses specially for women who want to learn how to use power tools, but quite frankly I think I'd be over qualified by now ("How to use an angle grinder", "How to do your own tiling"... no, I don't think so)

Anyway, your dough hook is looking good. It'll probably work better than the original by the time you're finished with it.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Neill, you are my hero!

My dad has always done a lot of work with wood- he has just about every power tool I know of for it and, curiously enough, all his fingers. So far. But when you say you have a lathe, well, you have a LATHE. Holy crap.

The forge and the anvil, well, I hang with farriers and blacksmiths several times a month, so they're not so impressive to me....

What's impressive is that you use all your tools. No one else I've ever known would think to make their own dough hook. It's looking promising, by the way. In the picture of the mixer, the bowl seemed long and narrow. Does that shape complicate the hook? As opposed to shorter and wider like my KA hook, I mean.

Whichever hook works best, you'll have a really cool accessory for a Halloween costume! Neill as Captain Hook!

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

"Hmmm, 1750 g? What is that in cups?"

<Looks at trusty online converter>

"Volume. Where the heck is grams? Duh, grams are weight!" <Grumbles> "Don't these people own measuring cups?"

<Looks at cooking measurements>

"Density? Why the heck do they want density? Oh yeah, dealing with weight."

<Looks at list>

"Flour. Ten different kinds. Shoot, what kind of flour did he use? Never mind, I'll just use all-purpose. It's not like I'm making the recipe..."

<Makes selection>

"Okay, from grams to cups... Of course US cups, you stupid thing..."

<Hits enter. Looks at result. Rubs eyes. Looks again.>

"That can't be right..."

<Tries again>

"Seventeen cups?! No woman in her right mind would..."

<looks at post bit>

"Oh. It's a guy..."

<Runs conversion for 2000 g>

"20 cups. Yep, definitely a guy. Only a guy would view a mixer as a muscle machine..."

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

Neill, you are awesome. That's gonna be one sweet mixer.

Leave a comment:

• ERASMO
    replied

Mixed up a 1750 gram of flour batch of KA bread flower in my Bosch mixer last night. Worked like a charm. Their is something about the way it mixes dough that gives the dough a really great feel when handled. I may attemp a 2000 gram batch but I think I may be pushing the limits.
    YouTube - BOSCH UNIVERSAL PLUS MIXER 1750 GRAMS KING ARTHUR BREAD DOUGH

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

I'm not sure how to break this to you, but not everybody has a forge in their backyard. Even if they did, welding just doesn't strike me as one of those things that you can easily learn by goofing around with it. Well, you might can learn easily enough, but it might not be worth all the trips to the emergency room...

The only metal work I do involves either aluminum foil or punching holes in tin cans...

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Archena.
    Metalwork, doesn't everyone work with metal?
    Why not, it's just another medium to work with. You simply use a few different tools, a welder instead of glue or mortar.

RT,
    I just took a couple of pics, the forge came from my inlaws farm when they moved into the township, the anvil took a couple of years to source, I crank it up when I have enough spring steel tortion bars to make crowbars, jemmy bars, pinch bars and mean cold chisels (the ones you smack with a 16lb sledge hammer). It is a little crowded at the end of my wood pile, but manageable.
    I don't use the hand blower, too much effort required so I plug in my leaf blower and whammo, a ripper fire and your underway.
    The lathe is the most widely used tool I have, I turned up 2 different bosses (one on the rod and the other sitting on top of the lathe), for two different dough hooks, one straight and fairly simple whilst the other will be a little more difficult being a spiral.
    The boss was made adjustable so that I can try different styles and shapes. I can also change the clearances with the bowl as required. The spiral hook will be welded into it's own custom boss.
    I made a couple of patterns and secured them into the first boss for trials and clearances in the bowl but I need to use the oxy accetylene tomorrow for some tighter bends than I can easily achieve with the forge without deforming the 16mm (sorry 5/8" 304 stainless steel rod)Unfortunately I won't get them done for the pizza night tomorrow as I will need to make my dough as soon as I get home from work, but that's life!

Neill

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Neill, your killing me.....fire up the old forge? Clean the rust off of you anvil? I have not actually known anyone who owns a forge and the last person I knew that owned an anvil was during my youth (30 plus yrs ago). I really need to get out of the city more. You're simply having too much fun and some of us are really getting jealous.

Be sure to share photos as soon as you get a prototype.

RT

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

You can do metalwork? Man, I'm so jealous...

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

rcspott,
    an interesting mixer. I hadn't come across that one in my researching. A very simple mixing action but I wonder what it would look like with a lower hydration, full wheat load rather than that small high hydration demo clip?

Decisions, decisions! Ain't life full of them?
    Thought that I had a few sources for hook designs so I did a Google search and couldn't believe the range of shapes. I have included a few pics of the shapes available. I will make one that is adjustable and can change the actual hook until I establish which one works the best and produces the lowest temp increase (as my new thermometer arrived yesterday).
    I made the mandrel fitting last night, (well at least bored the 3/4" hole and turned it out to the 20mm required diameter) and went looking for my stainless hook rod - gone! Well I'll get some more today.
    I guess that I will get the old forge going this afternoon and clean off the rust from the anvil.
    Will keep you posted.

Neill
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• rcspott
    replied

Any one have an opinion of the Santos for pizza dough? It is about $1300-$1400.

Santos - Dough mixer # 18 for restaurants, pizzerias, pastry shops, institutions...

YouTube - Santos Dough Mixer
    Last edited by rcspott; 12-18-2008, 09:43 AM. Reason: Additional information on price

Leave a comment:

Working...
X