• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frances
    replied
    Re: Mixers

Originally posted by Wiley View Post
    everywhere one looks one sees smiles, the people are happy, life for them as never been so good; most unlike the glum chums endemic here
    ...except for those of us who are lucky enough to own a WFO, of course.

I wish I could get my hands on equipment like that, strongly built and mendable. And I like the mixer, too. Bet it'll be a real work horse once you're finished with it!

Leave a comment:

• ERASMO
    replied

Bosch report:
    I used my Universal Plus last night for the first time. I made a 1500 gram batch of Tipo 00 Pizza dough. Mixer performed great! Next time I will try 2000 gram.
    YouTube - BOSCH UNIVERSAL PLUS MIXER PIZZA BREAD DOUGH GALANTINO

Leave a comment:

• bturton
    replied

Excellent! Be sure to send a picture of your dough hook. Bake on...

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Neill,
    THAT looks like a mixer, no pretending to be a design statement, just plain rugged commercial good looks. The only downsides for me are its size (just too big for where I need it to be) and my disdain for Chinese electricals (never owned anything designed for their commercial home market - just the mass produced, dirt cheap crap, destined for the low end Sams Club, Walmart, Costco market). I would be confident of getting decent life out of a commercial product. Too bad it came without a dough hook, I'm sure you don't mind with your crafty abilities.
    I should be firing up my Bosch this week (just arrived yesterday). My wife wasn't surprised (she knew we needed one) but was surprised with all of the attachments (I caught a little grief for that). She will actually be the first to use it, my daughter and her have about 20 dozen cookies planned for tomorrow...sorry to say, I won't get around to any pizza dough until Friday or Saturday......look for a Bosch report early next week.

RT

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

I think it's ruggedly handsome. You gotta love that rough hewn commercial look -- he's a tough guy. My vote is that it's going to be great.

Can anyone give us the basic difference between a Hobart-like commercial mixer and the basic KA stand mixer with a dough hook? The pluses and minuses?

James

Leave a comment:

• Wiley
    replied

I'm with you Neil, the proof will be in the job it performs.

I have no problem with how it looks and as to the fact that it was made in China, frankly I look upon that as a plus, especially as it was made to be sold and used in China. And not made to some foreigner's specs to be rebranded and sold under some western name.

I've been lucky enough to spend a few short weeks in country. I was amazed by many things of which two things standout 1) equipment for the most part was strongly built and made to be repaired should it need it by relatively inexperienced people... no send it back to the factory; and 2) (totally unrelated and yet maybe not): everywhere one looks one sees smiles, the people are happy, life for them as never been so good; most unlike the glum chums endemic here (save for in the adverts where someone is trying to sell you something). It took some getting used to, walking down streets and almost everyone has a smile one their face, most disconcerting at first (and I admit to checking to make sure my fly was buttoned expecting the smiles were due to something amiss in my dress :-).

Wiley

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Archena,
    does it really matter what something looks like when we buy things to do specific tasks.
    Hell, if went on looks alone (as obviously some people do), then we have what we've got, a load of unusable inadequate mixers that are worthless for mixing dough.
    Take it to the next level, some of us would still be single looking for a partner unless we are able to perform!!!!!

Elizabeth,
    I will get a piece of stainless tomorrow, start to machine it tomorrow night and will probably have to wait until Tuesday when I can get access to an oxy set to heat and bend the hook to shape.I will however keep you posted.

Les,
    like you, I am unable to read Chineses and in the instruction sheet/specis, I think it says that my model does not come with a dough hook.
    Yes the red button turns it on (even though the button is upside downand you push the switch down to turn it on), the other button is a pulse, only operates the mixer whilst you hold it on.
    I am happy with it so far (although I haven't used it yet) fairly quiet, smooth and good speeds. It seems well made and finished which is unusual for bottom of range equipment. The truth will be when I mix a 5Kg mix of dough.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• amber
    replied

I'm with Elizabeth - I think he looks like R2D2. Adorable. I also love my KitchenAid, but before I got it, it was all by hand. From there, most anything's an improvement.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Neill,
    I think the red button turns it on - not sure, I'm a little weak reading Chinese

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

aww. I think it's kinda cute. I want to see the dough hook you make, Neill. I ran into my first problem with Dinah yesterday on a rye bread. It tried to climb out of the bowl and up the hook! It was a bit lively, to say the least.

Leave a comment:

• Archena
    replied

Neil,

Sorry, but I have to go with your wife on this one. That thing is just ugly. I think you're lucky she lets it live in the outdoor kitchen. I hope it works better than it looks...

Leave a comment:

• ERASMO
    replied

Jim

I just received a new Bosch universal plus. I will mainly be mixing caputo pizza dough and some basic bread doughs. What do you find is the most comfortable quantity of flour for the mixer? Also, In what order do you add the ingredients?

Does anyone else have any advice for this mixer?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Well, it's done, collected and only needs to be installed, (once I get the bench tops done.
    I have been sourcing several commercial dough mixers over the past week. I have read this thread from beginning to end, decided that a Bosch mixer would suffice, try to source one here NONE AVAILABLE!.The next best thing was good secondhand Hobart. Only 20 quart sizes available - way too big for this little duck, so a new one?? A 5 quart Hobart is a minimum of Aus$3200 and the smallest commercial ones are $800 PLUS freight (another couple of hundred bucks).
    I purchased a new (albeit a Chinese model) 10 quart (5Kg) model, 2 speed with a whisk, beater but NO DOUGH HOOK! It is a very heavy duty (and weight of 70kg) so the next task is to make one to fit. The importer dropped $200 from his initial price for me to source one, but I recon I can make one for less than $5 using some 5/8" stainless bar and buying a 4" billet of 1 1/4" stainless for the coupling.
    It should do me well for the few times that I need it.
    The wife won't let it in the house, so I guess it'll live outside in the new kitchen.

Neill

Leave a comment:

• jimmaria
    replied

Hello:

I have a Bosch Universal Mixer. It is built like a rock, and I have no doubt that it will last a long time. The one hesitation I would have in recommending it is that, even on the lowest speed, the rotations are very fast and, in my experience, can quickly heat the dough beyond where I want it to be (i.e., 78 degrees F or less). I have actually hooked up a light dimmer switch to the power cord so that I can slow it down, which helps a bit, but is not perfect (at slow speeds the motor will often just stop upon resistance).

I feel it is important to keep the temp of the dough down so that it does not lose flavor or become over-oxidized. (It is possible I am placing too much emphasis on this, and I have not done a side by side comparision in this regard).

I would say that, other than the temp issue, the mixer does a great job developing the dough at full speed.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Burning electrical smells!?!

Holy cow. Dinah has never smelled remotely like that. If she did, I'd stop using her immediately. The last appliance I used that smelled like it was on fire WAS on fire. A hair dryer. Luckily, I was not also on fire.

Does your mixer smell funny when you use it for other things? Or just bread?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X