Bread Maker Wanna-Be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bread Maker Wanna-Be

For the few who were following this thread?I apologize for falling off the face of the earth. I have spent the last 10 weeks baking bread and taking care of all the necessities of starting a LLC, along with all other normal responsibilities of life. Here's an update to my adventure in becoming a bread baker:

My wife and I have started "Companionship Breads, LLC" out of our home. Check out our blog companionshipbreads.blogspot.com

Our goal is to offer bread made with local organic flour produced and delivered in a sustainable way. We are using Heartland Mills Flour (which is more than 90 minutes away... 4 hours.) They have distributor in Kansas City so it is very easy to get. We will be selling bread at farmers' markets this summer, but our main customers come via the CSA (community supported agriculture) model. We have paired up with a local CSA to offer a bread share. We have two different shares, each with six different loaves on a rotation for 24 weeks. To date 37 shares have been purchased (pre-paid!) for this season (May-October). Every week the share holder will receive their loaf of bread at a specific pick-up location.

So we have 12 different loaves of bread that we make regularly and are working on a Cinnamon/Sugar Pan de Mie loaf and pitas. I bought a 30qt. mixer which is perfect for my 18lb. batch size. I was trying to by a 60qt. Hobart but the bidding went to $1200 and I said forget it. I am glad I did, I have no need for that 700lb. beast. I picked this mixer up for $680 on craigslist and it works perfect and is enough of a beast at 370lbs.

I converted a room downstairs into my prep room. I have a nice 3' x 7' prep table, sink, refrigerator, and an old chest freezer that I converted into a proofing box with an external thermostat (I can maintain 45 F constantly for long bulk rises).

Thanks again to everyone who has offered ideas and encouragement.

Comment

Congratulations JohnR - your bread looks great and it seems that your plans are all coming together nicely!
      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Funny how life twists & turns sometimes...sure is nice when I hear a budding success story like yours. Hopefully you'll keep us all up on how this CSA season goes. Glad to hear that you'll be making a lot of people aware of how good bread should taste. I somehow think this will become one of the most satisfying things you do...making folks in your community very happy!

p.s. I never thought I'd be baking in a WFO as a beloved hobby when I retired, but here I am. Maybe I'll look into the CSA model down the road (when my wife decides to cut back on our traveling...no pun intended )
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SableSprings View Post
          John, I had to move out of our kitchen to a prep room I created in the garage (to return the kitchen to my wife). I originally had covered a set of metal shelves with plastic and 1" insulation board, installed a small heater & fan and used it quite successfully as a proofing box. I recently purchased a nsf stainless steel wire 4' wide x 6' tall rack. It's got 5 shelves and is 18" deep...so a full baking sheet fits nicely on a shelf. I proof my baguettes in a couche on an inverted half sheet (5-6 baguettes on each sheet-4 half sheets to a shelf). My upcoming plan is to use panel board and rigid insulation board to enclose the top 3/4 of the rack unit (4 shelves). With a small heater on the bottom shelf (that has a good thermostat & fan), it will become my new proofing box. I don't plan on doing the amount of dough that you do on bake day, but the rack cost $89 at Costco and I've spent another $75 on the heater, insulation, and panel board. Since I haven't seen a used proofing box for anything near what I'm willing to spend...this will probably be what I use for quite a while and thought it might be something for you to consider if you don't find an inexpensive commercial unit. I really like the fact that the nsf rack comes with a set of heavy casters, so I'm able to easily move the homemade proofing box around. I currently use an nsf rack to cool my breads when they come out of the oven and have been really happy with the quality of the unit components.

Anyway, my real restriction now is the refrigeration space for the dough...I only get to use part of our garage refrigerator for baking...so I really love it when we have cool nights (not freezing) here in Oregon on the night before a bake. I guess there's always something

Happy Holidays & looking forward to another great year of baking.
          SableSprings. I'm planning to build an integrated proofing box for my oven. Interested to see some pics of yours and discuss it if you care.
          Here is my first idea.
          Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
          I forgot who said that.

Comment

Working...
          X