Proofing - raising questions????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Proofing - raising questions????

Jim's starter arrived on Friday! I fed it yesterday - lovely and active, it's now in the fridge, whispering 'Come bake with me' ... but I have a full slate over the next few days, then I'm away for a week, so it will have to wait.

The family says that Jim's stuff smells like the real deal, while the stuff I had made smells like baby barf, and are adamant that they will only eat bread made from Jim's starter. That said though, I'm still going to nurture both of them over the next while, to see if the difference is just that regional difference in yeasts that I keep hearing about (mine had developed ... 'hootch'? ... and after stirring it in a few times, I poured it off this morning).

Anyway, huge thanks, Jim! And the rest of the family thanks you too !

Sarah

Comment

Sarah,

You're very welcome indeed. It will be an interesting experiment to work with both, side by side. Any starter, left to sit for a week or two in the fridge, will develop hootch. That's a natural thing, because starter fementation, like any organic fermentation, develops alcohol as a byproduct. Just stir it in before feeding.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

...I always thought baby barf smelt surprisingly nice - compared to the grown-up variety anyway.

Good luck with the yeasts Sarah, let us know how it turns out!
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
        X