Dead sourdough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead sourdough?

I have not fed my sourdough culture for several weeks, and this morning I went to feed it and it was NASTY! I actually almost puked when I stuck my nose in there.

So I threw out the top and scraped a little of the white solid part from the bottom and fed that. Do you think that will work or do I need to start a new culture?

Yech, I can still smell it now!

Drake
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Re: Dead sourdough?

Not quite sure, but its worth a try to see if you can revive it. I took my starter out and fed it before going on a week long vacation...only thing is I forgot to put it back in the fridge. Needless to say when I returned home it looked dead as a doorknob. Took a couple days of feeding it every 12 hrs at room temp to bring it back. Good luck!
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Yep! Keep feeding it. Dump half of it out. Use equal measures of flour and non-chlorinated water. Stir. You should have it back in a few days.

If you are not going to use it for an extended time, Feed the healthy mix and stick it (covered) in the fridge.

Comment

I think puke-inducing smells are a little worrisome, but that being said... I have left my starter for over a year and successfully revived it. When left for a long time, it does get that sort of black layer on top. I just stirred it back in and started the routine PizzaPolice mentioned--toss half of it, and expand with equal weights flour and water. I left it at room temperature and fed it once a day; it was fine after a few days.

Let your nose be your guide--if it still smells nasty after a few feedings, something bad probably started growing in it. From what I've managed to learn, a more acidic starter will survive periods of dormancy more successfully.

Comment

Hi all!
          Describe a little bit more what "nasty" meant. The smell could have been due to an abundance of alcohol and stuff. If the "hooch"(liquid layer on top) did not have a pink or green color it was probably OK. It would have been better in that case to stir in the "hooch", discard half the starter, and gently feed the remainder much like you would when starting it. Let me know because you may be able to revive it without much trouble!
          Dutch
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

No, I know the hooch smell. I mean I literally almost threw up...twice! I fed it, but there is still that "off" smell, not as strong but still there. I am afraid I have introduced some mold or other off flavor and may have to just start over.
            My Oven Thread:

Comment

I'd get rid of it and start over again... but that's just what I've done when the smell was strong enough to make me vomit. Fortunately it was just a one-time occurance.

Comment

I think I will...from now on, I will keep it in the fridge when I am not actively using it...
                My Oven Thread:

Comment

Mine stays in the refrigerator now. The only frustration is fif I forget to take it out several days before a baking session to revive it. I've let mine sit for a couple of months in the refrigerator and with 4 days of feeding had a very nice starter.

Comment

I had it on the counter, unfed, for a month before, but that was in winter when the house is 68 degrees. I think it spoiled in the warmer weather...
                    My Oven Thread:

Comment

Originally posted by DrakeRemoray View Post
                      I had it on the counter, unfed, for a month before, but that was in winter when the house is 68 degrees. I think it spoiled in the warmer weather...
                      Whoa! In that case, you'll need to call Dr. Frankenstein. Hope you saved some flakes from a previous mix.

Comment

If the smell was that "off" it is best and safest to just throw it out. The hooch would have smelled kind of like beer or wine. Store it in the fridge though...from now on...the cooler drier environment tends not to let the unwanteds in
                        Dutch
                        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Makes you appreciate the old "sourdough" cooks that kept that stuff going in the old days!
                          Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Rumor has it they sometimes kept the starter in a pouch hung around their neck...betcha they smelled really good at times...
                            Dutch

Comment

Working...
                            X