Today's Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Bread

This one is 50% KA GP and 50% KA White Whole Wheat. It's light and easy. I forgot to leave my starter out overnight, so I mixed the dough in the morning and gave it all day to rise, and then baked it right before going to bed.

It didn't have that crazy oven spring -- I would say that the loaf was well-proofed (almost overproofed) and it came down a little with the slash.

I have run out of rye flour, which is a really nice addition to everyday sourdough -- I have to get back to Whole Foods and pick some up.

Enjoy your day!
    James
    Last edited by james; 12-11-2008, 10:21 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: Today's Bread

James,

Another good looking loaf!

Practice, practice, and just a little bit more - practice at making the prefect loaf of bread... and they all are, the perfect loaf of bread..

JED

Comment

Originally posted by Jed View Post
      Practice, practice, and just a little bit more - practice at making the prefect loaf of bread...
      JED
      Exactly! It's fun, and you get to eat it.
      James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James
        Looks very good to me! Excellent color, nice crust depth, loose crumb...quite top notch I would say. Quite like what a WW miche should look like. When you have a wet dough and dock the dough in that "pound sign" it tends to spread out at the sides. Always ends up seeming like a wider loaf than when you started. Just remember the cover of Reinhart"s BBA!!!
        Best
        Dutch
        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Thanks Dutch,
          That means a lot to me -- I'm going to tell my wife. :-)
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I'm baking tomorrow. I have a Pain Poilane (well, three, because I wasn't going to bake one that big!) retarding in the fridge. I also have an 85% whole wheat recipe retarding- it's been interesting. I found the percentages on a website for sourdough. It increases the starter twice- first time is quite small, second is larger (nearly 300G). Any ideas why they'd do it this way? The final dough is about 65% hydration. Lovely smooth dough, quite workable in spite of the moisture.

I hope at least one of them turns out as well as your loaf today! I'm using the KA white whole wheat for the first time. Much smaller particles than I'm used to!
            Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Christmas party for my wife's swim team tonight...baked a few loaves(5-1kg) of our most popular Italian...due to the weather it was baked in the our kitchen oven...thought I would post a pic
              All the best!
              Dutch
              "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
              "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Very nice! :-)

Is that a yeast dough? It has great color.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                  Very nice! :-)

Is that a yeast dough? It has great color.
                  James
                  Thanks James
                  It is made with a 48 hour prefermented biga using commercial yeast...then a bit of yeast in the finished product...it gets a little sugar, malt powder and EVOO...so a great confluence of ingredients yields great color , texture and flavor...
                  Best
                  Dutch

Comment

Working...
                  X