spent grain bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spent grain bread

Absolutely marvelous. It was spent grain from an oatmeal stout, and the bread was a lovely dark rye color, and moist and flavorful. I was initially worried that it would be bitter, which is my experience of how beer tastes (this is why I don't drink it!) but it wasn't at all.

I am insisting that Wilson keep on brewing. I don't care if he gets the biggest beer belly this side of the Mississippi, I must have spent grains!

If any of you have access to a microbrewery or have a source, grab it!

I'll try to get pix later, right now I gotta go paint a garage.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Re: spent grain bread

I thought Reinhart's spent grain bread was the best whole grain style bread I ever ate so I am 100% with you! I really need to find a reliable source. I would hate to have to take up beer brewing just for the spent grain, but...

Thanks for reminding me. Haven't done spent grain in about a year. Gotta find some...
    Jay

Comment

Can't wait to see your pics!!!
      Check out our blog for a glimpse into our hobbies of home brewing, soda, beer and wine, gardening and most of all cooking in our WFO!

http://thereddragoncafe.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm thinking that maybe I'll pan the bread next time to see what happens. I can't wait until Wilson makes his Belgian Abbey Ale to see what that grain does!

Here they are:
        Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
          Absolutely marvelous. It was spent grain from an oatmeal stout, and the bread was a lovely dark rye color, and moist and flavorful. I was initially worried that it would be bitter, which is my experience of how beer tastes (this is why I don't drink it!) but it wasn't at all.

I am insisting that Wilson keep on brewing. I don't care if he gets the biggest beer belly this side of the Mississippi, I must have spent grains!

If any of you have access to a microbrewery or have a source, grab it!
          Hi,

I just ran across this thread and being a homebrewer and homebaker find the concept of merging the two perfect. Can you give me any more info on how you use the spent grain in your bread?

TIA,

Dwight

Comment

I am very interested too. They one thing that pops to mind it that the grain I use is cracked/crushed whole grain and has whole or almost whole husks throught the grain (helps the water flow through it when brewing beer). Does all of this go into the mix?

Cheers
            James
            Real men cook with fire
            My Oven and Fireplace Build

Comment

Originally posted by bimbo View Post
              I am very interested too. They one thing that pops to mind it that the grain I use is cracked/crushed whole grain and has whole or almost whole husks throught the grain (helps the water flow through it when brewing beer). Does all of this go into the mix?

Cheers
              James
              I've kind of wonered the same thing. I found this:

Green-Savvy: Recipe: Spent grain bread

It sounds like they just put it all in. Seems a bit odd but I guess I'll just have to try it next time I brew.

Dwight

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth, for getting this thread started!

I’ve been feeling like a one note orchestra baking Pain Rustic. I always get rave reviews, but needed a reason to push further into other breads. I have PR’s Whole Grain Breads and understand the concepts, so your thread gave me the addition kick in the @$$ to find a source of spent grain. The husband of my wife’s BFF is an advanced home brewer and has some professional connections into the local micro brewery scene, so I placed a call. Karsen, was set to start a batch on Saturday morning and offered to pass along the spent grain. I accepted the offer without reservation. My wife and I arrived just after he had drained off the liquid, tea?, from the grain. OMG! My wife’s impression of the smell was to compare it to something close to chocolate. I went home with about 3 to 4 gallons of spent grain. Last night I put four 3 cup portions of it in the freezer, this morning I made a 4X batch of PR’s recipe. I know I’ll need four loafs, three to pass on one for home. I should do the baking tomorrow afternoon.

The first photo shows, from left to right, The soaker, the Biga and the Spent Grain. The second shows the SG and Biga in the fridge.

Chris

Comment

Chris,

Let us know how the bread comes out. It sounds scrumptious! Funny, I went over to pick up PR's Whole Grain Breads yesterday at the Borders Books (Chapter 11) closing sale yesterday but discovered it for $10 less on Amazon so put it back. I had no idea there was a spent grain recipe in it.

If you continue to make spent grain breads here's some brewing terminology for you.

Conversion - The process of converting starch (barley) chains to sugar chains by placing raw, cracked malted barley into ph-corrected water and holding this Mash at a steady target temperature until enzymes have completed the conversion.

Lauter - The process of straining warm, ph-corrected rinse water through the converted mash in order to extract the now-liquid barley pulp. The leftover grain husks are what makes up the mass of spent grain.

Wort - (Rhymes with squirt) The liquid volume resulting from rinsing your grains. This sweet (chocolate-like in Stouts) sugar-laden liquid base for beer must have something bitter added to it by boiling or you wouldn't like to drink it.

Looking forward to some bread pics!

John
                  Last edited by GianniFocaccia; 02-20-2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks John, As I understand it the liquid just off of the grain is tea, then after heating to near boiling and adding hops, it becomes wort.. Heck, I don't know.

I post pictures tomorrow..

Chris

PS I suppose it could be that the point that it becomes wort, is when yeast is added. Like I said, Heck, I don't know..
                    Last edited by SCChris; 02-20-2011, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Sigh, My first attempt had its ups and downs.

On the upside, I’m comfortable with the techniques presented and have a much better idea of what this bread is and how I would use it. I didn’t get the oven spring that I expected and I think I would have had better results using loaf pans rather than either a floured banneton or linen in a bowl to proof. The high fiber content of the bread and that I had degassing due to stickage, held the crumb structure down below where I had imagined the bread would end up. I also expected that I would have seen more browning on top and that flavor would be sweeter. I used Agave syrup not honey have made some difference in browning and sweetness. I also included vegetable oil for moisture. I’ll give it another go when I get some loaf pans.

Chris

PS John, you are correct regarding Wort. Once the liquid is drained from the grain it's Green Wort.
                      Last edited by SCChris; 02-21-2011, 10:50 AM.

Comment

They look overproofed based on crust color and shape - though as you suggest rough handling and sticking can contribute to the shape. Crust color could be only moderate baking - I like it darker but...

Keep at it! Spent grain bread is a real keeper!
                        Jay

Comment

Chris,

Thanks for posting the pic. It won't be long before you get the process nailed.

I have committed to resuming brewing once the oven is finished, and spent grain bread will be high on the priority list.

Comment

A couple of things. If anyone is interested in learning more about the brewing process a good site can be found at:

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Contents

Section 3 of the book is especially pertinent to the spent grain.

The other thing I have read is some people are using some of the sweet wort in place of water and sweeteners. Seems like a really good idea to add some interesting flavors to the bread.

Cheers,

Dwight

Comment

Dwight,

Cool site. Great primer for the new guy looking to get into the hobby.

I'd like to learn how to use my spent yeast to make Vegemite. I tried it for the first time a few months ago and just polished off my first little $9 jar.

Comment

Working...
                              X