Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood fired sourdough heaven!!!!

Oh man.
    I just got back from the land, where I spent the afternoon painting the boards for a picnic table. Every set, I threw a log or two on the fire in the oven. It slowed down my firing time, but the oven still got hot - with WAY FEWER COALS!!! ( just hot ashes)

My first loaf of sourdough using my oven started turning very brown on one side, so I turned it after about 10 minutes. Second loaf did not get so brown because I didn't have a flame going during the bake.

When I got home, I cut into it.... and WHOA! I do NOT used the expletives with abandon... Oh man! The flavor is something I cannot describe. You can taste the wood, the smoke, etc. but not in a campfiery way, but in an expensive single malt scotch kind of way!

O-Kay then !

Wow. ( going now to have another piece....pictures on next post)
    This may not be my last wood oven...

Re: Wood fired sourdough heaven!!!!

Here are the pics.

I really love my picnic table design. We had eight people around this table. I painted the boards for another table today!
    This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

Yeah! I know what you mean. I didn't have bread like this in France or Italy, of course I was looking at the sites, not the cuisine. Duh! I can't wait to launch into the ryes.
      Mark

Comment

Lars
        You have to try the bread in a completely clean oven. No fire no coals. Then the oven gets steamy and your bread will spring higher in the oven and you will get incredible textures as well as flavors. It really is a sublime thing though...bread from a wood fired oven that is!
        Best
        Dutch
        "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
        "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Working...
        X