Fried Green Tomatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave,
    I'm sure that I would like the chicken liver pate. There is nothing in that recipe that I haven't already eaten. It looks and sounds like a gormet potted meat!

Russell,
    I would definately try that. I don't know anything about sea weed. I can only guess that it is like cooked greens. Is it similar? I even love "origional" spam right out of the can. I haven't fried, grilled, smoked, or bbq'd spam in a while. It is about time I did .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

G'day
      Russel I don't to the sushi thing well but I'd give that a go.
      Wow that's a spin out really island meets east meets west. Sushi with spam. Well why not. i know from experience that the phillipino people really love there spam
      But I never realized that it was big in Hawaii
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Yeah, it goes back to WWII when SPAM was part of K rations I suspect the Phillipines were a similar reason

Here's a little historical fact:

Hawaii consumes more Spam than any state in our union -- in total, 7 million cans a year. According to the SPAM website, the island's love affair with Spam began in World War II, when GIs were served the salty luncheon meat because it didn't require refrigeration and had a long shelf life.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
          But, we will also eat them as a desert or as a snack. Then, we cut the top off and fill them with jelly or honey.
          Jam (apricot, strawberry, plum) and Cream is the traditional filling for scones here in Oz at morning smoko.

It sounds like "rural living" (we call it "country life") has the same obstacles, no matter where you live . But, I would not fit in real good in town
          I moved into town (currently 17,000 people) in 1980, mostly to eliminate the 40 mile commute.
          35 years later I'm still here and I still feel like an outsider.
          We get a lot of university grads from the eastern states and they often have values that make me feel like a throwback.
          For example, they mostly think it savagery to kill your own food.
          I usually have to suggest to them that unless they are vegetarian, my preparedness to slaughter and butcher a sheep, or hunt and eat wild game just means I'm prepared to do my own dirty work.
          A saving grace these days is my boss, who looks like a professional metallurgist, walks the talk, etc, but goes bush once a year to hunt and fish and sleep on the ground. He gets it,. and this makes life easier.

Anyway, back to the tomaties.

Planted 4 advanced Roma seedlings late September. Got 'em up and running, went off to New Zealand on my first ever overseas holiday, leaving my 16 year-old with dire threats of death and mutilation if he forgot to water them and let them die.
          Came back to flourishing tomatoes, weeds, and basil, rest of garden looking suspiciously dry. At least the boy can prioritise.

Now picking at least a pound of fruit a day that I reckon I can legitimately claim are organically grown - no fertiliser, no pesticides, etc.
          They look like it, not uniformly shaped like store bought, plenty of blemishes on the skin, etc, but dang they taste good.
          Can't believe how many fruit we are getting from 4 plants.

For the Aussies - Spot the Grosse Lisse. Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic_1222_234.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	384136
          Last edited by wotavidone; 12-21-2015, 03:31 PM. Reason: Brevity, honest :D

Comment

There is no comparison of a vine ripen home grown tomato vs a store bought one, even the vine cluster tomatoes in the store that are the rage now.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              There is no comparison of a vine ripen home grown tomato vs a store bought one, even the vine cluster tomatoes in the store that are the rage now.
              I think that goes for anything homegrown and ripened. But as tomatoes are my favourite food I would agree whole heartedly. Nothing beats fresh tomatoes lightly salted straight off the vine. unfortunately we can't grow tomatoes now (our summer) we can only grow them in the winter (tropics)
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David,

It's difficult for me to think "upside down" .. Is it too hot for ya'll to grow tomatoes this time of year?
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

David,

It's difficult for me to think "upside down" .. Is it too hot for ya'll to grow tomatoes this time of year?
                  No, it's just that we live in the north of this big continent. Those who live in the south would be harvesting their vegetables now.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post

No, it's just that we live in the north of this big continent. Those who live in the south would be harvesting their vegetables now.

Ok, I get it. Ya'll have many more latitudes than the US . Come to think of it, we share a continent with two other countries .
                    Last edited by Gulf; 12-22-2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X