Roasting a suckling pig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roasting a suckling pig

I am ready to roast a suckling pig in my wood-fired oven and have been reading several earlier posts on the subject. All the posts are about 5 years old and there is no obvious pattern as to the best pig weight, cooking temperatures, and cooking times. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations (based on experience) for cooking (say) a 20 pound pig? All suggestions are welcome!

Re: Roasting a suckling pig

I cooked a sucking pig about a year ago, it was about 20lbs. I injected the back end with apricot jam & the front half with lemon/olive oil. I put the pig in the oven when the temp was 250C/480F. It was ready in about 3 1/2 hours. The meat was tender and sweet but the skin did not crackle as much as I would have liked. Will try and post photo later

Comment

Thank you for your prompt response. I will look forward to any photos you post. Also, may I assume you basted the pig periodically?

Comment

Yes I did, but maybe thats why it did not crackle up. I am doing another one early next year. will post results then

Comment

Comment

Red,

It looks like there are grill marks on the back - did you turn it over while cooking it?
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

They are not grill marks, they are cuts. I used a Stanly knife with a blade set to about 5mm deep and cut slices in it. Its easier to cut and everybody gets some crackle. By doing this I am able to rub salt into the skin so you draw the moisture out. You should get a good crackle.

Comment

Gotcha - thanks!

Comment

To Red Dwarf: I apologize for the delay in responding. I was traveling for the holidays. In position now with the grandchildren!

I like your photo -- very impressive.

I have researched several web sites claiming some expertise in roasting suckling pigs. None of these use wood ovens, unfortunately. They seem to share two items that may be important to what both of us seem to be attempting to accomplish. One, they roast at medium temperatures for extended periods (as you reported you had done); but they then return the roast (after resting for up to two hours) to a hot (500 degree F) oven for up to 30 minutes to create blisters and an "extremely" crisp skin.

I'm just speculating, since I haven't actually done this yet, but after roasting the pig in our wood ovens, we could use a conventional oven to crisp the skin; or, more interestingly I would argue, we could use the "rest" period to reheat the oven to 500 degrees or more and do the crisping maneuver there!

To read more about this, visit The Food Lab: How to Roast a Whole Suckling Pig | Serious Eats. Be sure to click on the Whole Roast Suckling Pig link near the bottom of the page.

Also, thanks one more time for your interest in sharing your views on this culinary adventure. I appreciate your advice and experience. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Grandpa Joe

Comment

Originally posted by jfgentile View Post
                    One, they roast at medium temperatures for extended periods (as you reported you had done); but they then return the roast (after resting for up to two hours) to a hot (500 degree F) oven for up to 30 minutes to create blisters and an "extremely" crisp skin.
                    With a two hour rest you could bring your oven back to any temp you desired, I have read on this site somewhere that same process but could not find it. You can easily bring a 400 degree oven to well over 500 in less than 20 minutes.

I think you have something there. Worth trying anyway.

Chip
                    Chip

Comment

Well, I did it again...

This time I put the pig in the oven @ 320F for 2 1/2 hours, then I removed it, wrapped it in foil & a fire blanket for a while until it brought the oven temp back up to 570F, then placed the pig back in for 15 mins. Well the final result was fantastic!!!! Moist & juicy with crispy skin. As you can see from the photos I made a Chorizo/tomato/rice/garlic/onion +some other herbs stuffing. Cant wait till I do it again, Next time I might just invite myself :-)

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry for the quality of the photos, taken from my phone
                      Last edited by reddwarf; 01-28-2013, 06:36 PM. Reason: Pics did not work

Comment

Red,

I assume the pig was around 20 pounds again? Also, do you use butchers twine to close the cavity after stuffing - sorry for the stupid questions. I am still trying to perfect a small pulled pork shoulder - one is in the works for super bowl. I will cook a suckling in the spring.

Thanks!

Comment

Les

This one was a real suckling pig at 6 weeks old & 13 pounds. And yes I did use butchers twine to stitch it all up. I had 12 people over and there was nothing left

Comment

Originally posted by reddwarf View Post
                            Les

This one was a real suckling pig at 6 weeks old & 13 pounds. And yes I did use butchers twine to stitch it all up. I had 12 people over and there was nothing left
                            Thanks dude! Looking forward to getting to the next level...

Comment

Very nice. I am very interested in roasting a pig, What did use for the fire blanket and what is the benefit of using the blanket? why not start with a higher temp and let it go for 8+ hours. Do you roast it in a pan or???

Comment

Working...
                              X