High Heat Wood Fired Roast Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Heat Wood Fired Roast Turkey

We did our thanksgiving turkey in the oven last week. I have followed the high heat method for years, so it was quite adaptable to a wood fired oven.

My steps starting the day before :

0. Butterfly the bird. I list this as 0 since it's totally optional, but makes it easier to organize the bird so that all the skin is up (no flipping required) and the breast and thighs get done at about the same time.

1. Brine the bird for 4 hours in 2 gallons of water, 1 cup normal salt, 1 cup sugar. My understanding of the high heat method is that this step is really optional, but I always end up doing it.

2. Rinse bird thoroughly, pat dry, and leave uncovered on a plate with paper towells in the fridge overnight to thoroughly dry out the bird. This step is VERY important for the high heat method.

3. On the day of... start the fire. I actually pre-heated the oven the night before and started a new fire the day of... when the soot burned off the roof and the IR thermometer I borrowed was zeroed out (it only goes to 600 degrees) the oven was about ready. This took about 1 hour to 90 minutes.

I spread the coals to each side and the hearth was about about 570 with the ceiling totally maxed out. Then I piled extra bricks in the mouth of the oven and went to prep the bird.

4. Oil the bird everywhere with your favorite fat (olive oil or butter in our house) and season it with salt, pepper, and any dry rub you might like to use (we used finely chopped fresh sage, rosemary, and thyme).

5. Arrange bird for the oven.

Notes on this step.
    Do NOT stuff (not for this high heat method). We arranged the insides of the bird to lay on a rack over a roasting pan full of our stuffing (made up of cubed sourdough bread, hot italian turkey sausage, sage, thyme, onions, celery, some egg and half n half. The drippings all fall into the stuffing.

The skin is up with the thighs floating over the lower breast.

This is the other reason we butterflied the bird. I roasted the backbone and giblets to make drippings, then stock, and gravy.

I've also done this without butterflying, but you don't get the benefit of drippings in the stuffing and have to use the stock for that instead. If you don't butterfly the bird, start it the first half of the cooking time upside down, and then flip it to finish.

The important thing about this fast, high heat method is to avoid stuffing the bird. That is only for slow roasted methods. I like this approach because I always want/need more stuffing than could fit inside ANY sized bird anyway.

6. Cover loosely with foil and place in center back of the oven.

We cooked an 18 pound bird, which in the high heat method at 500 degrees should take 3 hours, 15 minutes.

Since our oven was hotter, I used the foil (normally you don't) and left it on for 90 minutes. Then I removed the foil and returned the bird to the oven. I added a couple very small logs to the red coals on each side at this stage to keep the oven over 500 degrees.

Cook uncovered until the thigh registers somewhere above 150. From experience I recommend between 155 and 160. For our 18 pounder, this was done at 3 hours (a little early due to the even higher heat).

Remove the bird and tent with foil for at least 20 minutes. It will coast on up to the recommended finishing temperatures. This is the time to finish all your other dishes.

I put the stuffing back in the oven to crisp up the top; reheat the gravy; mash the taters (or reheat them if you made them earlier). We also roasted root veggies and squash in the oven with the turkey for the last hour and I left them to finish while the turkey was resting.

Then carve the turkey (carving a butterflied bird is awkward the first time or two because it's basically upside down) and serve!

My 90+ year old step-grandmother-in-law (how's that for a mouthful) told me that she's had a LOT of turkeys in her life and while last years (1 BBQ'ed and 1 rotisseried), this years was the BEST she'd ever had in her life.

I have to admit, I was pretty amazed myself. I can't wait to try lamb.
    --
    Tarik

High heat cooking time table

Guidelines... obviously my 18 pound turkey was done at a different time (between 2.5-3 hours).

Unstuffed bird; conventional oven at 500 degrees
    8-12 pounds 1 hour 45 minutes
    12-14 pounds 2 hours 20 minutes
    14-18 pounds 2 hours 45 minutes
    18-20 pounds 3 hours 15 minutes
    20-24 pounds 3 hours 45 minutes

Unstuffed bird; convection oven at 400 degrees
    8-12 pounds 1 hour
    12-14 pounds 1 hour 30 minutes
    14-18 pounds 2 hours
    18-20 pounds 2 hours 15 minutes
    20-24 pounds 2 hours 40 minutes

You really need to just check with a cooking thermometer for 155 degrees to 165 degrees in the thickest part of the thigh. Also, remember, residual cooking continues for a minimum of half an hour after you remove the turkey from the oven (because the bones retain the heat) and the temp just coasts up.

Always allow the turkey to rest before cutting for at least 30 minutes. Longer is actually really good too, which takes a lot of stress out of getting dinner ready. That turkey is still hot enough to serve 1 hour later!
    --
    Tarik

Comment

One last note!!!

no Basting!!!!!
      --
      Tarik

Comment

We need photos

Tarik,

Did you take any pictures? It sounds great.

We were in So Cal seeing family (and going to Disneyland), so this is the first time in years we didn't do our turkey in a brick oven. Our daughters said that they missed our own Thanksgiving at home, so I think we are going to do a re-run this weekend. I'll use your recipe (and take photos). :-)

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james
          Tarik,

Actually, we did! I just haven't had a chance to upload them. I'll do that tonight when I get home.

I got a bit distracted because... in all the excitement of thanksgiving and trying to finish the oven, and a heavy work schedule, and my black belt exam... we also just found out that we've got our first bun in the oven after over 2 years of trying!

We were in So Cal seeing family (and going to Disneyland), so this is the first time in years we didn't do our turkey in a brick oven. Our daughters said that they missed our own Thanksgiving at home, so I think we are going to do a re-run this weekend. I'll use your recipe (and take photos). :-)
          Let me know if you have any questions about butterflying the bird or making the gravy (roasting the backbone and giblets). We also used the liver is a quick little brandied liver pate that turned out very popular with the grandmothers-in-law (mine are all gone now). Between thanksgiving and the shoulder rubs, I think I've got all the various mothers-in-law very happy with me!

This recipe is adapted (since I simply can't follow a recipe) from technique and stuff I've learned over the years from my aunt, Chef Marc (www.chefmarc.com) and Cook's Illustrated aka America's Test Kitchen.

Enjoy!
          --
          Tarik

Comment

James,

Pics are here
            --
            Tarik

Comment

bread products

Originally posted by aikitarik
              we also just found out that we've got our first bun in the oven after over 2 years of trying!
              Tarik, Congratulations on the "bun in the oven". It is a grand journey.
              Peace
              Chad
              Renaissance Man
              Wholly Man

Comment

Chad,

Originally posted by janprimus
                Tarik, Congratulations on the "bun in the oven". It is a grand journey.
                Thank you so much. We're looking forward to it!
                --
                Tarik

Comment

Re: High Heat Wood Fired Roast Turkey

[QUOTE] we also just found out that we've got our first bun in the oven after over 2 years of trying!

Congratulations, How did your sweet little bun turn out ?? Boy or Girl ??

Comment

When you cook a turkey in the oven, and the oven gets to cooking temperature, do you leave the coals in or remove them?

Comment

hi Joseph,
                      I prefer to take them out... I dont like too much of a smoke flavor.. I heated my oven for 6 hours,,,(prob overkill) and let it cook off reatined heat with the door on.. Others keep a small fire with flavored chips (mesquite) etc.. Its a personal choice I think..
                      Here is a link to my test drive...
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/...rkey-7990.html
                      Cheers
                      Mark

Comment

Thanks Mike for the information. I don't like the smoke taste myself. Also, when you cook your food in it what temperature do you start at? Does it matter what size turkey it is for the start temperature?

Thanks,
                        Joe

Comment

Okay,, the Turkey was actually 13 lbs... Just wanted to add that for time reference

13 lbs.
                          1 hour 35 Mins..
                          I know thats only 7.5 mins per pound,, But it was cooked all the way thru and checked with a meat thermometer
                          700 (f) degrees going in
                          550 (f) coming out
                          Put it in with foil on and took the foil off for the last 10 min...
                          Cheers
                          Mark
                          Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Tarik,

When you cooked your turkey in the oven with the coals and added wood later did you have the door closed and does it come out tasting smokey?

Thanks,

Joe

Comment

A Cautionary Tale

I REALLY should have read this thread before this last Thanksgiving!

OK, here's the story. A week or two before T-day, I fired up the oven for pizzas and apps. The neighbors were over, and we served up yet another great night of WFO delicacies. I had purchased a chicken that day, and as the wine flowed we all decided to throw the bird (a small fryer) in the WFO and see what happened. Some simple salt & pepper, a little Italian spice mix, and a quick EVOO rub. The wood had burned down to active coals. After 45 minutes, we were rewarded with CHICKEN NIRVANA.

So for Thanksgiving, I thought we would do an experimental turkey by the same method. Thankfully (pun intended) we also roasted one in the traditional way. The turkey went in, and after 75 minutes I went to check on it (OK OK I was distracted by the company, the wine, the mulled cider, the antepasto....) figuring that it might need another hour or so.

I was greeted by this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0320.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	279859

Actually, once we peeled off the char, it was quite delicious - but it did get a good laugh when I jiggled a leg and it crumbled, followed by smoke pouring out of the bone!
                              "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Working...
                              X