On the Menu Today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Menu Today...

On the menu today is premium Black Angus ribeye steak. It will be cooked in the WFO on a cast iron grid. Pieces will be 40mm thick to ensure they retain moisture and are pink inside. May do a mushroom pepper cream sauce to go with it. Served with rosemary potato wedges... pics to follow..
    / Rossco

Re: On the Menu Today...

Sounds so good. Can't wait for the pix.

Comment

Here is the finished product - with a pink peppercorn cream sauce..
      / Rossco

Comment

Looks good. Did you try aging it? Carl

Comment

OMG - this is my most favourite food in all the world!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback...

Currently running the WFO Friday night, to Sunday night cooking everything from main meals, soups, starters, bread, scones, pizzas and breakfasts.. right down to the toast!!
            / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by heliman View Post
              Thanks for the feedback...

Currently running the WFO Friday night, to Sunday night cooking everything from main meals, soups, starters, bread, scones, pizzas and breakfasts.. right down to the toast!!
              on running out of pizza dough, about a month ago, I tried a drizzle of olive oil over some sliced Vienna bread topped with whatever we had left over. It was cooked direcly on the oven floor. Presto, a new toaster.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Sounds good... very nice to have as a starter before the main cooking begins! Guests are always hinting that they need something to nibble while waiting.

I was also impressed with the toast - it wasn't dry like it you get in an electric toaster but had a certain moistness to it. Nice!!!
                / Rossco

Comment

Rossco,
                  As you are having so much fun with your oven, you may be interested in trying pies in a tin. My method is to 1/4 a puff pastry sheet and using each 1/4 , squash into a small greased pie tin, then fill with whatever you want. Some leftover roast vegs, egg, bacon, tomato, herbs, etc. Instead of going to the trouble of making tops, I simply fold the four corners into the centre. That way half the pie is open and you can see how well things inside are cooking. For puff pastry you need to have the temp around 200 C. I usually keep an active flame going to give me an oven light. It's great fun sitting around the oven making and building these little pies.

Comment

[QUOTE=david s;113667]Rossco,
                    As you are having so much fun with your oven, you may be interested in trying pies in a tin....QUOTE]

Hi David - thanks very much for the tip .. that sounds fantastic (and so easy).

I am going to try it this weekend in fact. I have the sheets of puff pastry already so will shop tomorrow for some filling!!! All the leftovers went into a pot of soup that we have been tucking into for the past few days (due to the cold weather)..

Will post results ...
                    / Rossco

Comment

What a great idea! Bet it works great for desserts...

Comment

Yes, it does, but I've found the main problem is that the oven is usually too hot. We often find that by the time the oven has cooled sufficiently we're no longer interested in eating. The puff pastry doesn't seem to work at all well if the temp is over 250C If I'm cooking little pies I usually fire the oven for one hour only or until the crown of the oven starts to clear. It's faster and saves fuel.
                        Last edited by david s; 05-24-2011, 05:42 AM. Reason: Thought of more

Comment

Thanks for the clarity David. I find the high temp plays havoc to a lot of my dishes so tend to make a small fire and bake bread and other "low temp" items early on. It seems easier to UP the temp than DOWN it...

I have got a really good sausage roll recipe which I would like to share too. Will hopefully get to it this weekend but it's the wife's birthday on Sunday and we have a party on Saturday night so my WFO cooking will be somewhat restricted!! ;-((
                          / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                            Rossco,
                            As you are having so much fun with your oven, you may be interested in trying pies in a tin. My method is to 1/4 a puff pastry sheet and using each 1/4 , squash into a small greased pie tin, then fill with whatever you want. Some leftover roast vegs, egg, bacon, tomato, herbs, etc. Instead of going to the trouble of making tops, I simply fold the four corners into the centre. That way half the pie is open and you can see how well things inside are cooking. For puff pastry you need to have the temp around 200 C. I usually keep an active flame going to give me an oven light. It's great fun sitting around the oven making and building these little pies.
                            David, I'd like to see some pictures of one of these masterpieces
                            Lee B.
                            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Just made a full breakfast and will keep the fire going till lunch time and then give the pies a go. Bought some mince for the filling and will see if I can make a thick, rich gravy. I really enjoy a curry pie so will include one of those in the trial run.
                              / Rossco

Comment

Working...
                              X