• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aegis
    replied
    Re: Pork Shoulder pulled prk

Originally posted by di11on View Post
    This looks great - I'm definitely gonna give it a go this weekend.

Regarding the homemade buns - what temperature do they need to be baked at and for how long (the recipe didn't say)? Do people generally do it in their WFO? Sounds like the temperature would be too low when the roast it finished? Are they done before the roast goes in?

Thanks in advance
    I do bake the buns in the conventional oven, I used to bake the buns the day before doing the pork, but (no pun intended) the rolls are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good when baked that day that I go for the regular oven being on for 25 minutes at 375.

Beautiful Burger Buns: King Arthur Flour

5) Bake the buns in a preheated 375?F oven for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden. Remove them from the oven, and brush with the remaining melted butter. This will give the buns a satiny, buttery crust.

Leave a comment:

• di11on
    replied

This looks great - I'm definitely gonna give it a go this weekend.

Regarding the homemade buns - what temperature do they need to be baked at and for how long (the recipe didn't say)? Do people generally do it in their WFO? Sounds like the temperature would be too low when the roast it finished? Are they done before the roast goes in?

Thanks in advance

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by CoyoteVB View Post
    I tried the brine and dry rub recipe on a 7 pound pork butt. Temperature seemed too high but I did not have time to allow further cooling and needed to to get cooking. Started cooking at 8:00 am. Returned home at 4:00 pm and the aroma in the yard was amazing. Pulled the roast out at 5:30 and the meat was falling off the bone. The best ever! Thanks!
    I'm glad it worked for you! We keep going back to this recipe on a regular basis! You have to try the rolls with it! They are worth it for sure!

Leave a comment:

• CoyoteVB
    replied

I tried the brine and dry rub recipe on a 7 pound pork butt. Temperature seemed too high but I did not have time to allow further cooling and needed to to get cooking. Started cooking at 8:00 am. Returned home at 4:00 pm and the aroma in the yard was amazing. Pulled the roast out at 5:30 and the meat was falling off the bone. The best ever! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied
    Re: Pork Shoulder pulled pork

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
    Well it has been 15 hours since the roast went into the oven. The oven temp is down to 220 degrees F I had left the door ajar for about one hour and knocked down the temp to 235 degrees F around 9am It is now 3 pm and time to remove the roast from the oven. It comes out with dripping in the pan and a beautiful crust on the outside. Roast temp. was 194 degrees F It was a short trip from the roaster to the cutting, eh, I mean shredding board. Starting to pull the skin off the pork just started falling apart! We shredded the pork added a bit of the rub and mixed in some barbeque sauce, put foil over the pan and back into the oven to keep warm so the hamburger rolls can cool.
    Well this was a fantastic pulled pork! The neighbors had thirds! The buns were an excellent compliment to the pork!
    WOW WOW WOW You have to try this recipe!!!

THIS is what im talkin about. This is the real deal. Good stuff man, looks amazing.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Thanks Aegis!

I made your rub and the rolls - I put the roast in at 325 for five hours (had to remove the door for a while to get it back to 190 and let it stay there for 2 hours). Dropping temp isn't that hard to do when it's snowing outside. It wasn't a shoulder, just a wrapped roast. Came out perfect. I obviously cooked the rolls inside - I didn't build a double oven
    Great Job Les as always! Glad it came out so good! I have to admit making the rolls a couple of times with the indoor oven Yes, temp drops in winter are much easier!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Thanks Aegis!

I made your rub and the rolls - I put the roast in at 325 for five hours (had to remove the door for a while to get it back to 190 and let it stay there for 2 hours). Dropping temp isn't that hard to do when it's snowing outside. It wasn't a shoulder, just a wrapped roast. Came out perfect. I obviously cooked the rolls inside - I didn't build a double oven

Leave a comment:

• fishn4daze
    replied

That pork looks fantastic. I decided yesterday to cook a pork roast in my wfo, I wanted a different taste. Was cooked in Dr. pepper, with chiplote peppers, S and P., 1 cut up white onion on the bottom and a little brown sugar. Oven was 350-400 and it cooked for 4 hours. Ran out of time. Was fully cooked and VERY tender. Pulled apart with a fork. I used a 6lb pork shoulder, bone-in. I used almond wood, fired it off earlier in the day and just let oven sit with door open.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by JoeyOz View Post
    well, I gave this a crack after making pizzas on friday night - why waste the heat?

Gotta say, this is a great recipe! very easy, and the results just blew me away.
    Made some texas and Eastern N.C. style sauce, with coleslaw and freshly baked bread rolls. Amazing!
    Great Job! This is on our must do list, neighbors keep asking when the pulled pork will be made! Simple and fantastic to boot
    Enjoy!

John

Leave a comment:

• JoeyOz
    replied

well, I gave this a crack after making pizzas on friday night - why waste the heat?

Gotta say, this is a great recipe! very easy, and the results just blew me away.
    Made some texas and Eastern N.C. style sauce, with coleslaw and freshly baked bread rolls. Amazing!

Leave a comment:

• JoeyOz
    replied

this one looks and sounds great!

will be giving it a whirl sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• trapper
    replied

Very nice! I think the home made buns are the only way to go with pulled pork.

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Your oven has impressive heat retention.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Thanks John - I will try that temp the next time. I am sticking with the water smoker until it's dialed in, it's incredibly consistent.
    Hi Les, Be sure to brine it to maintain the juicyness (is that a word?) of the pork. I did not tent or wrap it in tin foil, because I like the crakling skin.
    Good Luck
    John

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Thanks John - I will try that temp the next time. I am sticking with the water smoker until it's dialed in, it's incredibly consistent.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X