Re: Pork Shoulder pulled prk

Ok here is the recipe for the brine.
    Brine Solution
    1/2 cup salt
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    2 qts cold water
    2 bay leaves
    3 tbsp dry rub mix (see next post)
    Add salt to cold water and stir very well until all the salt is completely dissolved. Then add the brown sugar, dry rub, and bay leaves and stir well to combine.
    Pork shoulder preparation:
    Rinse the pork shoulder and place in a large container, pour in the brine solution until the shoulder is completely covered. Cover the container and place in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.

I used a 2 gallon zip lock bag which held the 10lb shoulder and the brine easily. I put mine into the refrigerator at 9:00 am an took it out around 9:00pm to start to come up in temp.
    At 11:00 pm I took the pork out of the brine and set it on a cutting board to apply the dry rub.
    Last edited by Aegis; 07-09-2012, 03:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by Aegis View Post
    It is a 10 lb roast and will be in a 250 degrees F oven to start and roast for 15 hours We'll see where this adventure leads!
    Aegis,

This is great timing. I was watching Diners, Drive ins, and Dives yesterday. They had a lot on slow cooked pork. The best I could tell was that it's about .65 pounds per hour. They were mostly smoking the meat but that is only 180 to 220 F. I appreciate any feedback in regard to time / weight / outcome...

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Pork, that lamb sounded great, but you've got my ears open now .

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    started a topic Pork Shoulder pulled prk

Pork Shoulder pulled prk

Today I started the pork shoulder with making a brine and marinaded it all day. Next I will dry the shoulder and pat it down with a rub, put it into a roasting pan and put it in the oven before I go to sleep. It is a 10 lb roast and will be in a 250 degrees F oven to start and roast for 15 hours until the inside temp hit 200 degrees F Then I plan on keeping it in a cooler/insulated box for another two hours covered. We'll see where this adventure leads!
Working...
X