Venison In Panchetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison In Panchetta

To finish the WFO weekend off, I got some Venison fillet and coated it in Panchetta that had a coating of blueberry jam to add a little sweetness.

Put it a heated WFO at 250C for 40 minutes, turning it now and then.

We also did crashed potatoes, but forgot the veg!

Tasted gorgeous, but I didn't mention Bambi until after we all had finished
    Where can I find logs? I need more!
    Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Re: Venison In Panchetta

Looks great.

I would love to do Venison but the boss(SWMBO) has a thing about Bambi and Skippy (Kangaroo) which makes it difficult to do. Don't think I could sneak it past her.

The best I manage is my butcher does a fantastic Venison sausage that all of us have but SWMBO who has "other" sausages.

Still might try to sneak it in

Cheers

Craig

PS How were the "Crashed Potatoes" prepared?
    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
    The Pirate Captain

Comment

Originally posted by BOOMERS WFO View Post
      Looks great.

I would love to do Venison but the boss(SWMBO) has a thing about Bambi and Skippy (Kangaroo) which makes it difficult to do. Don't think I could sneak it past her.
      It's definitely an Aussie chick thing mate.
      I went down the South East last June and managed to nail a fallow deer.
      Tell an Aussie sheila you've got venison for dinner ansd it's all "How could you eat poor Bambi," etc.
      Just don't tell 'em till after dinner.

On the other hand I stopped at Salt Creek for fuel and ice on the way home, and the German backpacker serving me asked if I'd been fishing. When I said I'd been deer shooting she said "Ooh, did you get one"
      While I was icing down the meat she abandoned the counter and came out for a look.
      Her only disappointment - "didn't you keep the head?"

Since venison and pancetta encompasses two of my favourite things, I might have to give this a try.

Comment

Grahamg,
        You have some great looking grub going on there, in several posts. How about combining them in one thread, that we can all bookmark and link back to easily
        Last edited by Gulf; 01-27-2014, 07:40 PM.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by BOOMERS WFO View Post
          PS How were the "Crashed Potatoes" prepared?
          Part boiled, then put on to a baking tray, squashed with a masher or fork then sprinkle Olive oil over them and season with salt and pepper, then grated Parmesan over, cook until browned.
          Last edited by GrahamG; 01-28-2014, 10:51 AM.
          Finishing the WFO will come after the barn is completed http://flinthousebarn.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
            Grahamg,
            You have some great looking grub going on there, in several posts. How about combining them in one thread, that we can all bookmark and link back to easily
            I never thought of that Gulf,

My collection is a mix, I don't think there is such a diverse collection from Spam pizza to Venison!

I will have a look how to combine them.

Graham

Comment

KB was right in his answer to you on another thread.

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
              I believe what Gulf is talking about, is to started a thread like what I have done, in the category of what did you cook last night. "What's Bartman cooking". That way we can subscribe to your thread and see it when you post something new. If you start a new thread it would show up on new posts and then quickly be scrolled off the page and we would have to look for it.

Hope that helps.
              Just start a cooking thread, say.......... Graham's Gormet Grub Just kidding ....... Name it what you want.

You can just copy the posts from each of your previous individual posts over to the new thread. From then on, just post your cooks and recipees to that thread .
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf,

Yeah I found what KB put and I will do that later today, been crazy busy at work since last week end.

Will be trying some other stuff this weekend. I've seen chillies with soft cheese and wrapped in bacon but chilies are just too hot for my limey mouth... So I have some Romana peppers that I will half, fill with cream cheese and wrap in bacon.

May also try the chicken in the brick too. Then make stock from the carcass, in between taking our son to play soccer and then rugby on Saturday and Sunday.

Comment

Do you mean the terracotta thing you soak in water then put the chicken in it?
                  Schlemmertoffs or whatever they call them?
                  I've been looking at them and the instructions all say to start them of in a cold oven.
                  Anyone used them one in a hot WFO?

Comment

Yes, you soak the brick in water, very similar to what you said.

Yah, but I found a recipe that says soak them, then start the oven and then build the oven whilst the "brick" is in there. That way the "brick" will not crack due to the high heat! Get it to around 220C and you just have to maintain it at that temp - I do that by just closing the WFO door.

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                    I've been looking at them and the instructions all say to start them of in a cold oven.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                      G'day Mick
                      I've been trying to track one down in Aust. With no success to date.
                      Where did you come across them?
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Dave I reckon the only place I've seen them is online. They used to be all the rage in the 70s.
                        Sounds like the deal is to soak the brick, put the chook in, then put it in the oven when you light the ioven.
                        I imagine that there could be a bit of a smokey flavour imparted to the water in the brick, if it's in there when the fire is first lit. That'd be good, though it is unlikely to make it all the way to the chook.

I will try it if I find one.
                        I suppose it's doable with any terracotta pot with a lid as long it'll fit through the door.

Comment

Found this on ebay - Kitchen Craft Terracotta Chicken Roast Brick Kchmroast | eBay

Comment

I haven't tried the terracotta. But if, that breaks too , try cast iron or even the much cheaper "graniteware" .

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                              I haven't tried the terracotta. But if, that breaks too , try cast iron or even the much cheaper "graniteware" .
                              I admit I have been wondering whether I could achieve the same effect by simply chucking the chook into a cast iron pot with a lid and some water in the bottom.

Comment

Working...
                              X