Paella!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paella!

This was the first Paella on my new hearth.....and the first time I have cooked a Paella in Spain!

There were also a number of other notable firsts....
    ....first time with a single meat, just chicken
    ....first time using brown (integral) rice
    ....first Paella just cooked for the two of us, no company but a bottle of red!

Jim

Here's the process:

Light fire
    Heat pan, add oil, garlic, onion, rosemary ....sautee a bit and add chicken.
    Brown chicken well....
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Paella!

Push browned chicken out to the outside. add some olive oil...

Add tomatoes and sautee, add some garlic, onions and rosemary.

Add some olive oil and put in the rice.

Stir rice and mixture to coat rice with oil and flavor....

....then add your hot caldo (soup stock) and let it simmer....
    Last edited by Xabia Jim; 02-19-2008, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Now, after it's simmered a while we add the vegetables...chives, green beans, squash and red peppers....a little parsley. Any leftover garlic or onions too!

Let cook until the liquid is almost gone, cover and let rest 10 minutes and

time to eat...squeeze some lemon over the top.

And hope you have some burnt crust on the bottom...that's the best part!

It's easier than you think! (See more detailed recipe under rice and vegetable postings)

Jim

Comment

Looks great - thanks for the step by step pictures.

That is an auful lot of food for only one bottle of wine!!

Comment

Jim,
          Great photos. How did it taste?

I am happy to say that we found a Spanish Paella pan on our trip, and have already put it to work. It's a 9 place/person pan, and it is 40cm/15.7" round. It easily was big enough for a family of four, and you could make it go for 8 people by using more stuff.

We baked ours on a wood charcoal grill, so we got a smokey flavor. It brings back a lot of memories. Thinking about this, a 15.7" Paella pan will fit into most pizza ovens (not the Casa80 or Artigiano80), and we've made some pretty good Paella in our brick ovens.

This is something everyone should give a try. Here a photo of our new pan.
          James
          Last edited by james; 04-16-2007, 12:51 PM.
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James, the paella was great. Next time I do it with brown rice I will go to a 3.5:1 caldo/rice ratio to let it boil a little longer for cooking the brown rice. Reheated it was better than the first time!

I usually try and use the largest pan I can find since it's a lot of prep/work time. Leftovers are great.

I'm not sure how the thin paella pan will work in a WF oven. It's designed of thin steel for over a wood or gas fire. I've used the terracotta with good success. Now puting it over the coals in the oven and maybe that will work.

BTW, we bought some smoky paprika which is also good for adding the smoky flavor!

XJ

Comment

Hey Jim,

Brown rice sounds too healthy for me. I'm using Arborio, or Carnaroli -- it's very creamy. We had Risotto tonight, after Saturday's Paella; using the same rice.

Where are you? Are you back in MI?
              James
              Last edited by james; 04-16-2007, 12:52 PM.
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Healty?, hail yes!

We've done the brown rice now a couple of times and it's worked out fine.

I like the brown rice and whole grain breads, .... but still having issues finding the perfect wheat crust for pizza....anyone done that?

Comment

Jim,
                  No answer for the wheat crust. All my attempts at wheat breads have been weird. It hydrates differently.

Where exactly in Spain are you, (when you're there)? I'm curious about your dual locations. I'm sure I missed a story somewhere. Vacation, work, or just living life to its fullest? Cool, regardless. Costa Brava, Costa Del Oro, Andalucia, Canary Islands, Mallorca, on and on, I loved them all! Indcredibly friendly people. Great food, great wine, everyone's happy. Always a party, although you have to go out at midnight and stay out till dawn to even get a glimpse of understanding. I'm envious in a (or many) way(s). I'd love to hear the story. Send me a link if you've posted it before. Otherwise, I'll just sit here and dream of flamico dancers working thier magic on wooden crates in small bars , out in the middle of nowhere, and the crowd clapping along in unison, urging them on. Almost a dream now....
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George....Vacation, work, or just living life to its fullest?

No, Vacation, Work and living life to the Fullest! Add the WFO, internet, Skype and twin grandchildren...it could always be worse!

I'm on the Costa Blanca midway between Valencia and Alicante where some World Health Official once remarked...."Environmentally Near Perfect".....Well the Mountains, weather and culture does not change much but there's sure been a lot of building in the nearly 40 years I've come here.

And the rest of the story is that James spent time here as well right next door in Denia! He and I are going to cook and drink wine some day.....

Xabia

Comment

Good living! Nice story. Enjoy! Can't do anything about all the building.

THere was a dramatic change in culture during the 10 years that separated my two tours in sicily. Gone were the droves of old women wearing only black, trudging to the markets each day. Traffic trippled. I've forgotten all the changes I noticed, but I was sad to see the old ways disappearing and technology taking over all aspects of life.
                      George
                      GJBingham
                      -----------------------------------
                      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

But to get back to the subject in the title, if I may...

I've often eaten Paella on holidays etc, and like it very much, but somehow I never made any. Now after reading all your Paella threads Jim, I was inspired to cook my first one for lunch today....

...and it turned out really well (for a first try). With shrimps, turkey and fish. My kids hated it and my husband loved it .

But I'll be rethinking my stock options before I make the next one though. I've got some nice all-natural non-taste-enhanced vegetable stock, but stock made of frozen left-overs will probably knock spots off it!
                        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Kids eh? Try them on a simple chicken version...they'll get used to it.

Glad you tried it....it really is a pretty easy, flexible and forgiving dish.

Comment

"knock the spots off it"

Is that a swiss saying?

....Seems more like a brit saying.

I learned "knackered" recently.....

Comment

Yep, that's a British saying...I guess... Well I AM British - kind of, originally.

"knackered" is a good word. Very useful, very descriptive.

Sometimes if I'm not careful I find myself using student slang I picked up from my parents, that's about 40 years out of date. My cousins back in England nearly died laughing the time they heard me use the expression "yoiks tallyho".

Now the Swiss would say something along the lines of "leave it lying on the left hand side".

Hmm, doesn't translate very well, does it?
                              Last edited by Frances; 02-22-2008, 10:32 AM.
                              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Working...
                              X