Paella!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I AM British - kind of, originally

Well I AM British - kind of, originally....
    ............Ok, sounds like there is a story here Frances.....

I can say that too.....Well I AM British - kind of, originally.....Born in Singapore, grew up in CaNaDa eh!, had a british passport.....Is that why I'm happy as an expat here in Spain?.....

I've not spent much time in Switzerland but I do love the mountains.
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Re: Paella!

Nah, not really.

My Dad found work with Ciba in Switzerland years ago, my Mom joined him when they got married. I was born, brought up English, learnt Swissgerman in School, finally married a Swiss guy. Talk English with the kids, Swiss with my husband. I suppose I'm as bilingual and bi-cultural as you can be. But not much of a story really, is it?

I must say, its really cool to have such a multi-cultural (if single minded) forum here.

(Single minded = WFO, beer, fish and more WFO)
      "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

XJim,
        Your 'Guide to Paella' is compelling. Thank you.
        Frances, your vocabulary would dwarf mine: (Tallyho chaps, what.)
        Agree that topics discussed should be expanded to include Wine, Women and Song. (Now I bet that comes as a surprise, eh.)
        Jeff.(From Australia)

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
          My Dad found work with Ciba in Switzerland years ago, my Mom joined him when they got married. I was born, brought up English, learnt Swissgerman in School, finally married a Swiss guy. Talk English with the kids, Swiss with my husband. I suppose I'm as bilingual and bi-cultural as you can be. But not much of a story really, is it?
          We had the pleasure of being invited to a Raclette party in Switzerland a number of years ago, where everyone spoke English, French and (Swiss)German -- with a little Italian thrown in. One of the neighbors was the host of a children's TV show (it sounded like PBS without Barney), and he jumped from language to language during the show. The audience (aged 6) loved it.

I guess that's how a country with three native languages makes it work. I'm impressed.
          James
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I too was impressed with the number of Europeans that speak 3 -5 languages. You quickly realize that all that eduction you suffered through over the years wasn't that impressive after all. Sometimes, you'll feel outnumbered by just one person.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Yes, it's really a different world....but it's old world.

the new world is bilingual....either american/mexican or english/french

In europe, you find yourself playing a game "What language is that?"

In a restaurant, in the market or even outside of someone's walls......Spanish?, English?, Moroccan?, French?, German?, Scandanavian?, Slavic? ... lots of guessing!

Comment

XJ,

I've had a similar experience in St. Lawrence Market, Toronto, on many occasions. Can be bewildering, especially because my ear for far eastern languages isn't very good. Vietnamese? Chinese? Thai? Still, it can be fun, if chaotic.

Knackered is an interesting leftover. The Knacker was the guy who picked up old, worn out animals for disposal (read animal feed), although it originally meant saddlemaker. Hence, the Knacker's Yard. Guess, "I'm knackered" came into the language to mean worn out, tired, falling down.

Shambles is another example; there's a fairly common English expression, "It's a bloody shambles." Well, I guess, the shambles was the abattoir or slaughterhouse.

Thus far the word from today's trivia collection.

Jim
                "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

CJ,
                  What about "wanker"? Can you give us a lesson on that one
                  GJBingham

-

Comment

George,
                    Just a stand-in comment from a dyed-in-the-wool wanker, while the Academics do their research. (I'd love to know too mate, now that you've raised the issue).
                    Meanwhile see 'ambidextrous'.
                    Hahaha. Good onya GJB.
                    Jeff the Dextrous.
                    (EH?)

Comment

George, Jeff,

Not a problem. Picture the inside of an old pub within hearing of Bow Bells in London. One yob turns to another and yells out over the din, "Dgya see 'im, Charley? Bloody two handed wanker just poured my pint down his neck."

Nothing to it .

But if you REALLY want to know, go here: Wanker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Jim
                      Last edited by CanuckJim; 02-23-2008, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Great! Hilarious! Funny stuff Jef and CJ. This thread gets funnier all the time! I love the Wikipedia entry. It even shows a hand gesture!
                        GJBingham

-

Comment

Okay you wankers....time to quit hi jacking my paella post and get back to the pan.

Comment

XJ,

Humble apologies from Canuckland. No more jacking, hi or otherwise. Paella looks absolutely mouth watering. You da man.

CJ

Comment

CJ

That's the kit I'm going to bring to your bread bash. We'll cook one just like it!

And don't worry, if it's a long winter
                              ...I can still do them in the snow!

XJ

Comment

Beautiful! Looks just like I remember.
                                GJBingham

-

Comment

Working...
                                X