Paella!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Paella!

Wankers?! Present company excluded, as we say her... But listen here, Jim: you seem to cook your paella on some hibachi-type charcoal device - one of the first things I did in MY forno was indeed a paella (see picasa album) done entirely IN the oven...
    ( I was a bit scared still, so the temperature was perhaps a little low, or I didn't give it enough time - but the rice remained al dente :-)

Salud, y fuerza del canut!

LMH
    "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Basically you need a fire relatively close to the paella pan. That rig in the previous picture was my second burner in Michigan, cut out of a stainless steel barrel based on the prototype. It works pretty well and I put it on a washtub so I don't have to bend over too much.

The first pictures are from my open hearth in Spain which may be more traditional.

I did Paella on the shore of Lake Huron this year just using rocks and an old round grill as a base. One of my best ones....You can make your own support out of anything solid. The key is having it level and solid enough that it does not tip. It's a crying shame to lose some of that valuable liguid or ever worse have the pan tip over. I've shimmed with rocks. With that kit in the last photo, we used a shovel in the sand to level the paella as the liquid went in, worked the best!

I did "paella" in my WFO but I think I called it Baked Rice and Vegetables. Rice will do fine in your oven, I think the tough part will be getting your liquid:rice ratio right...and whether you cover or not.

keep cooking....
      sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Any tips on cooking paella on a conventional stove? (Other than it doesn't work as well )

I also had a really good joke lined up on a dyslexic wakner, but I see the subject of this thread has moved on again...
        "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Penelope Casas has a great book called "Paella" (and some other nice cookbooks by the way) and in that book she does a lot of different paella recipe's on the stove and oven.

I would guess the majority of paella's in Spain are done over a gas ring and a (gas) stovetop would be similar.

It's a very flexible and forgiving dish, just do it....

....that's the best I can do since all of mine have been over wood fires.
          sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Working...
          X