Bread, bagels, maccaroni chease, meat pie and fruit pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bread, bagels, maccaroni chease, meat pie and fruit pie

Yesterday I finally got a fresh load of wood - beach, two years old, 100 CHF (which is about 100 USD at the moment ) for one cubic meter. This is a bit more than half what I payed last time, so I'm pretty chuffed!

To celebrate I fired up right away despite the raging storm (well, strong wind), and cooked/baked another loaf of no-knead bread, 12 pumkin bagels (my first ever bagels by the way - they were yummy!), maccaroni chease for the kiddies' dinner, meat pie for the grown ups' dinner and fruit pie with plums for desert. And a very small loaf of something thats going to be sourdough when it grows up.

It is just so cool having this oven!!
    "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Re: Bread, bagels, maccaroni chease, meat pie and fruit pie

That all looks great, the meat pie though really got my attention.

Comment

Awesome bread, Frances! The meat pie looks scrumptous too. That's a ton of work to pull off and manage the oven too.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Frances, you're making me hungry.
        RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
        Oven Thread

Comment

Great job Frances........seems you've got this WFO thing sorted........

Comment

Thank you all! I think maybe I am getting the hang of it slowly .

The meatpie is very complex recipe called "left over meat and veg ? la maison".

And I'll admit, by evening I was feeling a little bit tired... or should I say knackered?
            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

Comment

yep knackered isjust the word....

For me its now Friday night and we have a public holiday Monday and I'm thinking I might do a big cook up (but its pretty hot all weekend).......the excitment started building as I read your post......the wife wants me to do pannetone ?
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Panetone, MMMMHMMM.... Go for it and let us know how it turned out!

Comment

Below, some pictures from Christmas Pannetone.
                  Was made with sourdough and strong flour (W=300), lot of work, lot of fun and delicious, fantastic taste.
                  Please note that the baked pannetones rests hanging down to let them more air opened (fundamental step).
                  More information as needed.

Luis

Comment

Final pictures about pannetone

Comment

Awesome, Frances and Luis! We've just had dinner, quaffing some Hunter Valley semillon totally out of character with the kanguruh fillets and mushrooms I made - but I still could rip into one of your creations!

Luis, can you divulge the how-to of the panettone? Bianca NEVER EVER succeeded in getting the panettone right (don't tell her I said that!')?

Gruezi and ate ja (what the hell happened to my Brazilian accent?!)

Luiz a.k.a. carioca
                      "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Luiz (Carioca):

Of course I could divulge... but, the instructions that I have are in Italian language. You could see these in the site Pizza, ricette on-line, annunci di lavoro, richieste ed offerte, scuola di pizza, corsi di formazione, mercatino degli annunci,consigli per aprire una pizzeria,pizza fatta in casa, clicking in Forum and searching by the keyword pannetone.
                        The main recipe came from Pixior and is fulfill of details.
                        This site is one of the best sites to anyone that would like to go deep in the real pizza world and Pixior is a 'must be' reading.
                        If there is any problem with the language, I could translate the recipe and tips to English (or Portuguese if you like), may be on the next weekend.

Um abra?o,
                        Luis

Comment

wow there are some great pics of the pannetone you posted Luis.

I didn't fare to well this weekend - had a blocked ear and the weather has been stinking hot here (and will be for the next week). So no WFO cooking.....However I did manage to cook something in the house oven. Found this recipe for "Burnt Butter Macadamia & Marmalade Biscuits"

Burnt Butter Macadamia & Marmalade Biscuits - ABC TV: The Cook and the Chef

turned out really moist and everyone gave them the thumbs up, might be a good one to do in the WFO
                          Cheers
                          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Muito obrigado, Luis!

I'll have a look at that site ASAP... (Bianca reads Italian, and I'm catching up :-)

Ate logo!

Luiz (a.k.a. carioca)

NB: In view of this remark by pixior, I think Bianca's past efforts at panettone may be excused:
                            "Purtroppo il panettone e' un dolce molto, ma molto difficile da realizzare in modo perfetto."
                            Last edited by carioca; 03-11-2008, 03:31 AM. Reason: adding quote
                            "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Carioca:

Of course, all the 'not so good results' from Bianca could be excused. She puts a lot of love in there...
                              By the way, the panettone needs a attentive work, however it is not difficult at all...Go for it.

Luis

Comment

Working...
                              X