X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef bourguignon

Cooking dinner on a lazy Saturday afternoon

Thanks,

That was a fun video of cooking a full meal in the wfo. I had to look up "beef bourguignon" What kind of hooch did you add? How about a full recipee for the meal including the bread .
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      Thanks,

That was a fun video of cooking a full meal in the wfo. I had to look up "beef bourguignon" What kind of hooch did you add? How about a full recipee for the meal including the bread .
      Hi Gulf, I used this recipe as a baseline for the stew... https://cafedelites.com/beef-bourguignon/
      I improvised a bit. The wine was a Spanish... El Gorú Monastrell/Syrah/Petit Verdot 2017
      The bread was a simple no knead "miracle boule" like this ... https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/miracle-boule/9041/
      However on this occasion I added a teaspoon of yeast as it was a last minute decision. I baked the loaf about 4 hours after making the dough. I also used about 2 1/2 cups of water.

Beef Bourguignon
      Ingredients
      • 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
      • 6 ounces (170g) bacon, roughly chopped
      • 3 pounds (1 1/2 kg) beef brisket, trimmed of fat (chuck steak or stewing beef) cut into 2-inch chunks
      • 1 large carrot sliced 1/2-inch thick
      • 1 large white onion, diced
      • 6 cloves garlic, minced (divided)
      • 1 pinch coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
      • 2 tablespoons flour
      • 12 small pearl onions (optional)
      • 3 cups red wine like Merlot, Pinot Noir, or a Chianti -- for a milder sauce, use only 2 cups of wine
      • 2-3 cups beef stock (if using 2 cups of wine, use 3 cups beef stock)
      • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
      • 1 beef bullion cube, crushed
      • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
      • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (divided)
      • 2 bay leaves
      • 1 pound fresh small white or brown mushrooms, quartered
      • 2 tablespoons butter
      Instructions
      TRADITIONAL OVEN METHOD:
      1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
      2. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or heavy based pot. Sauté the bacon over medium heat for about 3 minutes, until crisp and browned. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large dish and set aside.
      3. Pat dry beef with paper towel; sear in batches in the hot oil/bacon fat until browned on all sides. Remove to the dish with the bacon.
      4. In the remaining oil/bacon fat, sauté the carrots and diced onions until softened, (about 3 minutes), then add 4 cloves minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Drain excess fat (leave about 1 tablespoon in the pan) and return the bacon and beef back into the pot; season with 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper. Sprinkle with flour, toss well and cook for 4-5 minutes to brown.
      5. Add the pearl onions, wine and enough stock so that the meat is barely covered. Then add the tomato paste, bullion and herbs. Bring to a simmer on the stove.
      6. Cover, transfer to lower part of the oven and simmer for 3 to 4 hours, or until the meat is fall apart tender (adjust the heat so that the liquid simmers very slowly).
      7. In the last 5 minutes of cooking time, prepare your mushrooms:

Heat the butter in a medium-sized skillet/pan over heat. When the foam subsides, add the remaining 2 cloves garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), then add in the mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes, while shaking the pan occasionally to coat with the butter. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Once they are browned, set aside.
      8. Place a colander over a large pot (I do this in my clean kitchen sink). Remove the casserole from the oven and carefully empty its contents into the colander (you want to collect the sauce only). Discard the herbs
      9. Return the beef mixture back into the dutch oven or pot. Add the mushrooms over the meat.
      10. Remove any fat off the sauce( if any) and simmer for a minute or two, skimming off any additional fat which rises to the surface.
      11. You should be left with about 2 1/2 cups of sauce thick enough to coat the back of a spoon lightly.

If the sauce is too thick, add a few tablespoons of stock. If the sauce is too thin, boil it over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until reduced to the right consistency.
      12. Taste for seasoning and adjust salt and pepper, if desired. Pour the sauce over the meat and vegetables.
      13. If you are serving immediately, simmer the beef bourguignon for 2 to 3 minutes to heat through.

Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.
      14. To serve the following day, allow the casserole to cool completely, cover and refrigerate.

The day of serving, remove from refrigerator for at least an hour before reheating. Place over medium-low heat and let simmer gently for about 10 minutes, basting the meat and vegetables with the sauce.
      INGREDIENTS

3 cup flour

¼ tsp instant yeast

1-1/4 teaspoons salt

1 ½ cup 1-1/2 cups water

Cornmeal, wheat bran, or extra flour, as neededDIRECTIONS

1. Mix the flour, yeast, and salt in a bowl. Stir in the water to blend. What you’ll have is wet, shaggy, sticky dough, but not so wet as to be batter. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let it rest in a warm place for at least 12, and up to 24, hours. It’s ready for the next step when the surface is dotted with bubbles.

2. Flour a work surface and dump the bread out onto it. Sprinkle over a little more flour and fold it once or twice. Cover with the tea towel and let rest 15 minutes.

3. Using only enough flour to keep the dough from sticking to your fingers, shape the dough into a ball. Coat a cotton towel with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal and lay the dough on it, seam side down, and dust with more flour, bran, or cornmeal. (You need quite a lot of flour because you want to be sure the dough doesn’t stick to the towel). Cover and let rise about 2 hours. When ready, the dough will be more than double in size.

4. Half an hour before the dough is ready, heat the oven to 450°F\230°C. Put an 8-quart/2-litre cast iron pot or dutch oven (cocotte) inside to heat. When the dough is ready, remove the pot from the oven, turn the dough into it, seam-side up. (It will look messy, but this is OK). Shake the pan to settle the bread evenly. Cover with the lid, and bake 30 minutes. Remove the lid, and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until the loaf is nicely browned. Cool on a rack.
      Read more at http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/mir...IeMCIDUBxzw.99
      Last edited by theDarbster; 03-10-2019, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe, it looks very appetizing

Comment

And I cook beef differently. My grandfather also said that you can use the smokehouse as for preparing tasty Australian Bulk Beef Jerky, but I liked the roasting method. That is, you need to fry the beef to a crust on all sides in oil in a thick frying pan over an open fire and simmer with vegetables for another 5-6 minutes. Then you can add wine and stir, add beef broth (to almost cover the meat). After 3 hours, you can add oil and spices, and then "pearl onions" are a mixture of sugar and onions, where the latter has been soaked. After that, you need to add pearl onions and mushrooms to the meat, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for another 5 minutes and serve with bread crumbs and pasta.
          Last edited by annykidsman; 01-21-2021, 12:04 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Originally posted by theDarbster View Post

Hi Gulf, I used this recipe as a baseline for the stew... https://cafedelites.com/beef-bourguignon/
            I improvised a bit. The wine was a Spanish... El Gorú Monastrell/Syrah/Petit Verdot 2017
            The bread was a simple no knead "miracle boule" like this ... https://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/miracle-boule/9041/
            However on this occasion I added a teaspoon of yeast as it was a last minute decision. I baked the loaf about 4 hours after making the dough. I also used about 2 1/2 cups of water.

Beef Bourguignon
            Ingredients
            • 1 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
            • 6 ounces (170g) bacon, roughly chopped
            • 3 pounds (1 1/2 kg) beef brisket, trimmed of fat (chuck steak or stewing beef) cut into 2-inch chunks
            • 1 large carrot sliced 1/2-inch thick
            • 1 large white onion, diced
            • 6 cloves garlic, minced (divided)
            • 1 pinch coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
            • 2 tablespoons flour
            • 12 small pearl onions (optional)
            • 3 cups red wine like Merlot, Pinot Noir, or a Chianti -- for a milder sauce, use only 2 cups of wine
            • 2-3 cups beef stock (if using 2 cups of wine, use 3 cups beef stock)
            • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
            • 1 beef bullion cube, crushed
            • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
            • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped (divided)
            • 2 bay leaves
            • 1 pound fresh small white or brown mushrooms, quartered
            • 2 tablespoons butter
            Instructions
            TRADITIONAL OVEN METHOD:
            1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
            2. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven or heavy based pot. Sauté the bacon over medium heat for about 3 minutes, until crisp and browned. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a large dish and set aside.
            3. Pat dry beef with paper towel; sear in batches in the hot oil/bacon fat until browned on all sides. Remove to the dish with the bacon.
            4. In the remaining oil/bacon fat, sauté the carrots and diced onions until softened, (about 3 minutes), then add 4 cloves minced garlic and cook for 1 minute. Drain excess fat (leave about 1 tablespoon in the pan) and return the bacon and beef back into the pot; season with 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper. Sprinkle with flour, toss well and cook for 4-5 minutes to brown.
            5. Add the pearl onions, wine and enough stock so that the meat is barely covered. Then add the tomato paste, bullion and herbs. Bring to a simmer on the stove.
            6. Cover, transfer to lower part of the oven and simmer for 3 to 4 hours, or until the meat is fall apart tender (adjust the heat so that the liquid simmers very slowly).
            7. In the last 5 minutes of cooking time, prepare your mushrooms:

Heat the butter in a medium-sized skillet/pan over heat. When the foam subsides, add the remaining 2 cloves garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), then add in the mushrooms. Cook for about 5 minutes, while shaking the pan occasionally to coat with the butter. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Once they are browned, set aside.
            8. Place a colander over a large pot (I do this in my clean kitchen sink). Remove the casserole from the oven and carefully empty its contents into the colander (you want to collect the sauce only). Discard the herbs
            9. Return the beef mixture back into the dutch oven or pot. Add the mushrooms over the meat.
            10. Remove any fat off the sauce( if any) and simmer for a minute or two, skimming off any additional fat which rises to the surface.
            11. You should be left with about 2 1/2 cups of sauce thick enough to coat the back of a spoon lightly.

If the sauce is too thick, add a few tablespoons of stock. If the sauce is too thin, boil it over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until reduced to the right consistency.
            12. Taste for seasoning and adjust salt and pepper, if desired. Pour the sauce over the meat and vegetables.
            13. If you are serving immediately, simmer the beef bourguignon for 2 to 3 minutes to heat through.

Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.
            14. To serve the following day, allow the casserole to cool completely, cover and refrigerate.

The day of serving, remove from refrigerator for at least an hour before reheating. Place over medium-low heat and let simmer gently for about 10 minutes, basting the meat and vegetables with the sauce.
            INGREDIENTS

3 cup flour

¼ tsp instant yeast

1-1/4 teaspoons salt

1 ½ cup 1-1/2 cups water

Cornmeal, wheat bran, or extra flour, as neededDIRECTIONS

1. Mix the flour, yeast, and salt in a bowl. Stir in the water to blend. What youll have is wet, shaggy, sticky dough, but not so wet as to be batter. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let it rest in a warm place for at least 12, and up to 24, hours. Its ready for the next step when the surface is dotted with bubbles.

2. Flour a work surface and dump the bread out onto it. Sprinkle over a little more flour and fold it once or twice. Cover with the tea towel and let rest 15 minutes.

3. Using only enough flour to keep the dough from sticking to your fingers, shape the dough into a ball. Coat a cotton towel with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal and lay the dough on it, seam side down, and dust with more flour, bran, or cornmeal. (You need quite a lot of flour because you want to be sure the dough doesnt stick to the towel). Cover and let rise about 2 hours. When ready, the dough will be more than double in size.

4. Half an hour before the dough is ready, heat the oven to 450°F\230°C. Put an 8-quart/2-litre cast iron pot or dutch oven (cocotte) inside to heat. When the dough is ready, remove the pot from the oven, turn the dough into it, seam-side up. (It will look messy, but this is OK). Shake the pan to settle the bread evenly. Cover with the lid, and bake 30 minutes. Remove the lid, and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until the loaf is nicely browned. Cool on a rack.
            Read more at http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/mir...IeMCIDUBxzw.99
            Thanks for posting. Boeuf Bourguignon is a traditional French dish and we have made it a few times, but not yet in the WFO.
            My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
            My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Dunno why, but this topic is the first one for Beef bourguignon request. Even though it's not a culinary site, I'm not disappointed. The recept is well-build, but it tastes more like homemade than restaurant one. I tasted the beef in Brest, that one was richer in seasoning (or marinade). But homemade beef jerky shared in the comment section is top-notch (yes, I cooked beef jerky too). The only thing I changed is using asian seasoning - the ones used in Tom yum. Believe me, it will be the best jerked beef in your life.
              Last edited by SableSprings; 08-12-2021, 06:03 AM. Reason: Removed commercial site link

Comment

Working...
              X