practice turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• practice turkey

With thanksgiving a week away, I decided to cook a practice turkey in the pizza oven.

I lit a fire the day before and got it to pizza temps. Once the logs burned off I threw the door on.

The turkey was a medium/ large size bird and was purchased for only 6 dollars.

I brined it, which is just a fancy way of submerging it in a salt water solution overnight.
    This ensures a super moist turkey. 24 hours later pulled the turkey out of the brine, rubbed some salt, herbs and seasoning on
    it and placed it breast side up on a roasting pan.

I threw 4 more logs in and lit a slow medium fire.
    Once these logs flamed off I slid the turkey in the oven and threw the door on.
    3.5 hours later, pulled it out and had a perfect turkey. Smokey, juicy and tender with meat falling off the bone.

When it comes to the actual turkey day I would do everything the same.

Re: practice turkey

Michelevit,

Did you measure any temps?
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

i have a dial thermometer in my door and it registered 600 when I threw the bird it. the skin darkened to crisp deep fried type dark brown crust, just what i was looking for. Some might consider it burnt, but i call it blackened.

i'll take some pics when i cook the next turkey come thanskgiving day.

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f18/...rkey-7990.html hey mich,,, sounds like you did fine,, here is a link to my Turkey Test Drive.. I didnt use the brine... mine came out great, But do you think it comes out better with the brine ??

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Brining makes it moister somehow. But if you brine make sure you don't have a pre-basted or self basting bird. It will be way too salty if you do.
          Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Working...
          X