Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to charge a Makita battery that wont charge on the charger due.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to charge a Makita battery that wont charge on the charger due.

Originally posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
    I was managing a building site in London in 2001 and it was mainly hand tools.
    Tradies coming to work on the tube carrying their tools in a bag.
    In Australia you need a ute(SUV) to fit all your gadgets in.

.................................................. ..
    My crap home brand Ozito Cordless drill (well under $100)outlasted my Metabo($300+)
    To replace just the batteries on the Metabo its cheaper to buy another Ozito.
    Same thing has happened with a Makita jigsaw and Angle grinder V cheapy crap brand ones.
    You do the maths and you might as well buy the crap ones.
    Theyre all made in China, some just spend more money on branding.

Not great for the environment but that's how electric tools in the globalised first world rolls.
    There is a distinction between tradesman tools and contractor tools and who needs to supply what.

If you are a contractor, you have to have all the tools required to do the work that you claim to be able to perform or are licensed to perform.

As a tradesman, usually, you need to have personal tools only. Usually the trade unions set the guideline OR the size of the project will.

If you are even a small general contractor--look out! You need warehouses to store tools or multiple lots.

Little guys get stuck in the middle, sometimes working for a contractor, sometimes on their own. You have to have everything or at least that is what you keep telling your wife when you go to the tool store!

Another thought, sometimes the longevity of a tool depends on who owns it.
    If you had to pay for it, you try to make it last...keep it clean, out of the weather, stored properly when transporting. If a worker is using a company tool, sometimes abusing a tool to get performance makes a tool wear out quicker. At times, the "time clock" limits the time available for cleaning, storing, or proper transportation or maintenance of a tool.

Comment

Not sure about that one. I've been abusing my tool for years and it still seems to work ok.
      Cheap and nasty!
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        Not sure about that one. I've been abusing my tool for years and it still seems to work ok.
        Cheap and nasty!
        Song lyrics "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was" little like old cordless tools that don't keep their charge.

Have you noticed? no hehehehehehe out of Chiba recently?

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
          Sometimes we expect too much from the tools we have available to us now.
          I expect to get what I pay for...which is why I don't buy cheap tools. I'll get a dud once in a while, but buy it once, buy it right factors into what get. Then again,I also subscribe to two is one and one is none.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
            I expect to get what I pay for...which is why I don't buy cheap tools. I'll get a dud once in a while, but buy it once, buy it right factors into what get. Then again,I also subscribe to two is one and one is none.
            Haven't heard that before but -- a Google search reveals it goes back to Marine Corps thinking!

I don't buy junk either, for the trade that I do or things that I do as a hobby. My hobby tools are equal to any top quality trade tool. I do not want to be caught flat footed at a job where I should be prepared.

My wife asks me "Why do you have seven of the same tool?"

I say, the last job had 5 men working doing the same thing and a tool failed, we were on a tight schedule--I had a spare tool--the job did not stop! Plus there was one in reserve! Plan for the worst and don't be surprised when it happens!

Is that what you are talking about?

Usually what you get is as good as you pay for! But not always!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
              ......I had a spare tool--the job did not stop!

Is that what you are talking about?
              Yes...it's worked for me so far. Correct, the two is one saying is used by many branches of the military.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Gudday
                I agree a tradesman must have tools he can trust
                But a one off oven builder in America seem to mostly buy the famous Harbour Frieght 10 in wet saw. Inexperienced hands wrestle through a couple of hundred bricks and then what happens? On sold? Continue service on a patio? Languish in a tool shed?
                Haven't heard of one failing to complete the original task for what they were brought, building one oven.
                Wish they were available in Aust.
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                  Gudday
                  I agree a tradesman must have tools he can trust
                  But a one off oven builder in America seem to mostly buy the famous Harbour Frieght 10 in wet saw. Inexperienced hands wrestle through a couple of hundred bricks and then what happens? On sold? Continue service on a patio? Languish in a tool shed?
                  Haven't heard of one failing to complete the original task for what they were brought, building one oven.
                  Wish they were available in Aust.
                  Regards dave
                  Most of the people who have posted on this particular thread are not "one off" oven builders either in America or Australia.

Don't know which saw Brickie uses or Stonecutter or David s, maybe they want to say..

I have no use for a wet saw right now, but I owned several in the USA and none were Harbor Freight.

Some guy used to telephone with the great deals from China. I bought one drill press that was Chinese--a long time ago, and won't knowingly buy another stationery tool made there.

As for all the builders in Australia--what do they use to cut their bricks?

Comment

Mikku, my saw is an MK 1080 1 1/2hp that I have had for 14 years. Outside of replacing a couple switches, it has done very well.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

• Re: How to charge a Makita battery that wont charge on the charger due.

I don't own a brick saw. When cutting bricks I use a 5" angle grinder and diamond blade. Most of my oven building is cast work. A whole oven can actually be built without a saw by using a brick bolster to cut bricks in half and the angle grinder to cut the odd brick, particularly the ones near the top. The large gaps can easily be filled from the back with home brew which is cheap enough.Cutting every brick is wasteful and time consuming IMO, but I know there won't be too many members who'll agree with me on this one.
                      Last edited by david s; 12-16-2013, 12:46 PM.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

For that matter, a well placed wack with a hammer eliminates the need for a chisel.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Gudday
                          You see those Italian made professional ovens used in pizza places.
                          Not many fancy cuts in those . Probably not cost effective in time and tools.
                          Recon a lot of these one off builders produce a truly amazing product because thier own labor and time is worth nothing to them to gain the finished product.
                          And they get a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction doing it, cost blow outs over time work has no meaning to the end result.
                          Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once

My Build
                          My Door

Comment

A constant activity over a life time in the building industry has been explaining to Clients the different criteria between a commercial standard and what a reasonably skilled person can achieve without the constraints of cost or time

Comment

Over the last 10 years, I have gone through a bunch of NiCad 12V rechargeable batteries. Somehow never venturing to disassemble one to see what the inside looks like. Yesterday, I took one apart and was amazed to see all the little cells. I can imagine that not every cell is dead, maybe only one in the chain. But all the main connections are using a spot weld. If you could isolate which cell or cells are dead, the batteries could probably be made useful again. The batteries that I am mentioning do not have any internal circuitry like the Makita one that Brickie showed.

I never seem to get to the point of throwing the batteries away --so there are many by the same manufacturer to get spare parts... Any ideas for making a conductive connection without spot welding? All the battery cases are stainless steel...Don't know if soldering is possible? Probably not!

Comment

Originally posted by Toomulla View Post
                                A constant activity over a life time in the building industry has been explaining to Clients the different criteria between a commercial standard and what a reasonably skilled person can achieve without the constraints of cost or time
                                Gudday
                                And there worse trades ,I recon ... House painter ... Everyone is an expert ... They learnt it in pre school. I can paint.... It's universal ! My local paint store tells me so!
                                But most only do it once ....the second time ... They get a painter.

Regards Dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once

My Build
                                My Door

Comment

Working...
                                X