What is your oven worth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your oven worth

I am asking this because after one day of my wife emailing everyone she knows pictures of my completed oven I have had 2 people ask if I were going into business making ovens (they apparently are interested).
    I certainly didn't build it for a chance at a new carreer; nor do I think I am at a level high enough to do so. Great learning experience; though.
    But, this got me thinking, what would our ovens cost to have someone build your entire oven to your specs or how much would you sell it for if it could be easily moved.
    I have a figure in mind for my oven which has cost about $1700 for all materials and tools needed. To do it again for someone else I'd say 7500-10000; for my fairly simple build
    Does that seem out of line to anyone? Again, I'm not looking for business, but I would like to be informative when someone ask 'where and how much).
    Give it some thought, I'm sure most don't relize how valuable their ovens actually are.

RT

Re: What is your oven worth

Maybe it could be broken down into 3 general areas:

1 - Base - supporting structure, including site prep.

2 - Oven (itself) - hearth floor, oven, insulation, flue, door/s -

3 - Surrounding structure - generally what houses the oven - the surrounding structure could be very little (stucco etc.) or a lot.

.....plus how much do they want to do themselves

its an interesting question, I have had a couple people interested in either building there own or buying one.....these are the sort of things I throw at them
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

I'm selling my house and am pricing my oven separate from the house - it will cost me a bit to move it if the new owners don't buy it, but I'll have pizza sooner at the new house then. It will still cost less to move than to make a new one. I'll let you know what the oven goes for if they choose to purchase it.

Comment

Guys,

I've not yet had the guts to actually count up what I spent building my oven, though I should for tax purposes. At a rough guess, not counting my labor, I figure my oven is worth in excess of $20 K, but, then again, I went a bit wild on it, both in overbuilding and decoration, and it still ain't finished.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Brick saw rental with blade wear....$180
          Physical Therapy for strained wrist muscles...$400
          Pizza in my own back yard.....priceless!
          ...someone had to do it.

Ouch, OK I just looked in MS Money to see what my wife had categorized it as...it came out to $9,348.71. Now that seems to include every home depot run last summer, so I think it is slightly overstated (home depot total is about $1400). It also includes the brick for the pavestone patio in front of the oven. I would have guessed around $5000, so in my mind I was clearly lowballing...

Drake
          My Oven Thread:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Drew,

This sounds like one of those accounting problems where one business unit moves their costs into another business unit. I think your wife is overburndening your oven with her custom bathroom fixtures. :-)
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

It looks like ours will run into the $1000 range for just the oven. I am also building a grill, tandoor, and flagstone patio so that will definitely get me above 2K.

As for what it is "worth?"

I think a basic install of a custom brick oven would be in the 10K range. Just guessing, of course.
              "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

I did mine really on the cheap with second hand bricks, poor man's mortar, scrap (existing) materials for vent, chimney, lights and theromcouples, but it will cost me in the vacinity of Aus$1400 -1500 and that is without a stand as it is built on a retaining wall and cut into the hill.
                My son-in-law and prospective son-in-law have already put their orders in for one each but theirs will cost considerably more as we will need to make a base and source more cheaper fire bricks. Always looking for a bargain!

Neill
                Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                Neill’s kitchen underway
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I offered my oven with my house for $4000 figuring that would allow me to build a new one and use help to speed up the process for some of the steps. Non-enthusiasts (2 prospective house buyers) refused that price, so instead I am moving my oven to my new house. Of course, that's very different than the price to build new for someone who wants one.

Comment

In my talking with many people about my oven, initially it seems everyone would like to have one (or at the very least, the pizza that comes from one) but after hearing of the potential costs or labor (building it themselves), most are not further interested. I guess that is right in line with your potential home buyers - they are not interested in paying extra for your oven.

I'm not surprised by everyone's interest in my oven or in their wanting invited over for pizza (there is not a 'real' pizza within 10 miles of my house). Nothing but Dominos, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, and the nastiest - Hungry Howies.
                    What does surprise me is the lack of value they perceive an oven to have; including non monetary. I guess the vast majority of people have become so acustomed to dialing the phone and having it delivered that convenience is what they value the most. Shame, they don't know what they are missing.

Comment

Hi RTflorida,
                      doesn't that really get you with people who look at your house and the assets that go with it and don't place any value at all on them.
                      We put our house on the market some years ago and some of the comments, "Oh it's got a fully tiled swimming pool, I guesss that's a bonus" was enought to put them out. They have absolutely no idea of costs and effort to achieve these benefits, even if we see them as needed for whatever reason.
                      Unfortunately, my oven is built in to stay but if and when we sell or move (that is if one of our kids don't want the house) the oven and outdoor entertaining area will be an all year round asset that will blow the prospective buyer away, if not then, they can go fly!

Neill
                      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                      Neill’s kitchen underway
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I suppose thats the trick, building an oven "fits in" with the general theme of your home/property. BUT there will always be someone who doesn't appreaciate an oven though (until they actually have one).

There are some really great ovens on here, hence the $$$$ spent. Mine is at the cheaper end also. Currently my costs are approx. AUS$600...completely finished it will be under AUS$1000. Bearing in mind I already had 99% of the tools, sourced all bricks for AUS$20 (used red bricks) and have a simpler exposed dome kind of style (insulatation included though).
                        my point.... if you are one of those people reading this, that doesn't quite have the $$$$ to build one of the great FB ovens.....you can achieve an oven on a limited budget, under some circumstances and with some limitations.

$$$$$ on labour.......now thats a different thing, what do people think on materials/labour ratio:
                        65% labour cost
                        35% materials cost
                        Last edited by Bacterium; 06-24-2007, 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling...doh and I proof read it 2
                        Cheers
                        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Neill, Thats exactly how I feel. And they can keep ordering their baked cardboard topped with fake cheese...no invites to my pizza parties.

Comment

Damon, don't sell yourself short on the labor. Based on the many terrific ovens on FB; I would put the split at 75% labor & 25% materials. A quality mason will make big $$$$ building one of our ovens......and earn every penny of it.

RT

Comment

I remember reading that one mason was charging 4k to build just the inner chamber of the oven. This was the labor price only and did not include any materials or base/slab/finish. You also have to pay his transportation and lodging fees. I think 10K would be a bargain depending on finish, I could cinder block and skincoat/stucco the whole thing in a very short period of time but as they say "god is in the details"

Comment

Working...
                              X