The build has begun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The build has begun!

Looking good so far...I am hoping to start myself in a couple of weeks.
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/c...ild-15677.html

Picasa Photo Library:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1020617...72/WFOProject#

Comment

It was a nice day today so I was able to get the hearth ready for concrete. I will put in two photos of what I finished today. One photo is the front of the oven. It has a smaller opening for wood storage. The other is a photo of the rear where it will have a place for storage. I put in a support wall in the center to separate the two spaces.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement!

Comment

Here is a close up of an area of the form for the hearth.

Comment

WoW! A very orderly set of forms and rebar you have there.

What is your plan for the ends of the eye bolts that will remain after removing the forms?
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Lee,

I will cut the ends off with a sawzall. The only reason I have them there is to keep the forms in place as I pour the concrete. I will be pouring the concrete this morning and I will post some photos sometime today. It will be a good day for the pour since rain is coming in a couple days and I will not be able to work on it so it might as well sit and cure during that time.

Brian

Comment

The pour went very well. I had some help today from my brother in-law and a good friend of mine. The work went fast with their assistance. Now I will let it sit for a few days then start removing the forms.

Comment

I bought some foam board and drew the outside diameter of the oven and cut it out. I got the idea from "Ken's Old Kentucky Dome" build. Now I will use it to see where I want to place the oven. Right now I'm trying to figure out how big I need to have the hole for the vent so the chimney draws correctly before I start cutting the bricks. There are so many questions that I have. Fortunately so far I get my answers from reading previous threads and looking at the photos that everyone has put in.
                Last edited by brianventura; 03-07-2011, 06:40 PM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

Very nice brian. its coming along great.

Comment

Originally posted by brianventura View Post
                    I bought some foam board and drew the outside diameter of the oven and cut it out. I got the idea from "Ken's Old Kentucky Dome" build. Now I will use it to see where I want to place the oven. Right now I'm trying to figure out how big I need to have the hole for the vent so the chimney draws correctly before I start cutting the bricks. There are so many questions that I have. Fortunately so far I get my answers from reading previous threads and looking at the photos that everyone has put in.
                    Looking great! You can go to the photo gallery for ideas. How are you planning to insulate the oven floor from the hearth? I used some insulation....If I had it to do over, I might use vermicrete -the insulation I used compressed a bit (one eigth of an inch).
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
                      Looking great! You can go to the photo gallery for ideas. How are you planning to insulate the oven floor from the hearth? I used some insulation....If I had it to do over, I might use vermicrete -the insulation I used compressed a bit (one eigth of an inch).
                      Hi Lburou, What did you use for insulation, may I ask? I am planning on using 4" foamglas hoping it won't compress that much!
                      Thanks
                      John
                      Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
                      Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
                      Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

Hi Brian,
                        Nice work! I Am super jealous of your warmer weather and ability to work on your oven in Feb.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Again, great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John
                        Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
                        Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
                        Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

Dustin, Thanks. Hopefully you will be at this stage soon.

LeeB, I have looked at the gallery a couple of times and have found some great ideas.
                          I am going to use FB insulation board for under the floor. I have not seen any problems with the floor compressing with this product. My floor will be 2.5" thick.
                          What was the time frame that you noticed the drop?

John, Thanks. I am fortunate that I can work on the oven during the winter and get ready for the summer.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by brianventura View Post
                            Dustin, Thanks. Hopefully you will be at this stage soon.

LeeB, I have looked at the gallery a couple of times and have found some great ideas.
                            I am going to use FB insulation board for under the floor. I have not seen any problems with the floor compressing with this product. My floor will be 2.5" thick.
                            What was the time frame that you noticed the drop?

John, Thanks. I am fortunate that I can work on the oven during the winter and get ready for the summer.

Brian
                            Brian

Sorry to be so slow to respond. I looked at the box from my insulation. It is PBX by American Fibrex, or something very close to that. I estimate a one eighth inch compression around the bottom of the dome.

That compression left the center bricks a little high. Stepping on them brings them down flush where I want them. It is likely that your insulation is more rigid than mine.....the FB insulation has proven to be the one to use. It will take a bit more vigilance on my part, but mine will work out fine (a good thing my dome is still open).

Best Regards Brian

P.S. Don't know just when the compression took place...Probably as the chains went up....I would NOT use this insulation under the oven floor again!!!
                            Last edited by Lburou; 03-12-2011, 06:53 PM.
                            Lee B.
                            DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Wow, oddly enough my name is Brian and I also live in Ventura. I started my oven a few weeks ago and am just to the point of building the floor and dome(pics attached).

I was going to start on the dome this weekend but after reviewing and looking over countless pictures and messages in this site I have decided to expand the Pizza oven to include an open fire pit to one side. So I figured I would save the finish brick work until after the structure is complete.

Good to know there in also someone else in the area going through the same thing.

Have fun, I know I am.

Comment

Bmwdiver (Brian),

Yeah! That is a coincidence. It seems that our process is about at the same stage of the build. I'm going to start cutting the brick for the floor sometime during this next week as long as the rain gives me the chance. It will be nice to start building the dome.

What size is your oven going to be? Are you using the Forno Bravo plans?

__________________________________________________ _____

Lburou,

I hope your oven is going well with the floor situation.

Take care, Brian

Comment

Working...
                                X