Starting a 42 pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a 42 pompeii

The slab got poured the other day so I started lining out the block today. Have to work over the weekend. so will start mortaring on Monday. I have been reading the forum for three or four months now and I am as ready as i will ever be. It took quite awhile to find sources for all of the material. I got most everything lined up. Reminder to all the price of everything is going up because of fuel prices. Thank you all I will post pics. as I go along.
    Millwrights can fix anything but the break of day and the crack of doom. We ought to be able to build an oven.

Welcome Bob

The oven stand is one thing I would change if I could go back and have a do-over. The member called SableSprings has the stand I would make if I could go back

What are your plans for the stand Bob?
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Re: Starting a 42 pompeii

I am going to make it 5 blocks high and leave it open at both ends. I will pour a lintel over each opening. I think I will use home brew mortar and perlecrete under the floor.
      Millwrights can fix anything but the break of day and the crack of doom. We ought to be able to build an oven.

Comment

Bob,

Sounds like you've done your homework and have decided on your design. Welcome to the group. Looking forward to seeing pics.

John

Comment

Originally posted by Boiler Bob View Post
          I am going to make it 5 blocks high and leave it open at both ends. I will pour a lintel over each opening. I think I will use home brew mortar and perlecrete under the floor.
          I've not seen another oven stand five blocks high. But, here is a picture of mine...
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Re: Welcome Bob

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
            The oven stand is one thing I would change if I could go back and have a do-over. The member called SableSprings has the stand I would make if I could go back

What are your plans for the stand Bob?
            what would you change about your stand? After looking at the latest post I think it looks pretty good.

Comment

Bob, my stand is fine. I made it to support a barrel oven, then changed my mind after making the stand.....Didn't want to go to the expense, take the time or waste materials necessary to make a change at that time, so I just modified the hearth to fit the pompeii oven.

If I could start over, I'd do something like Sablesprings did:
              [image] [/image]

He used the center section to approach the oven, and the sides to house two mobile pizza/firewood utility carts.
              'Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!'
              [image][/image]
              [image][/image]
              Last edited by Lburou; 04-02-2011, 10:56 AM.
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

One more picture to illustrate the usefulness of a movable work surface for use during food prep.
                [image][/image]

I'm considering a cart like that to store under my oven.

Good luck Bob!
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Thanks for the pics. I will Download a pic as soon as I can. I got the blocks all stacked and am ready to pour the voids. Should I leave a foot of rebar out so I can bend it into the hearth slab? We are having crappy weather wind and rain, so I work when I can. I think oven builders are a committed bunch, ah, for the love of pizza.

Comment

It all starts with clearing out the sod, Rocky is waiting for the first crumb.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0026.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	284917

Name:	DSCN0028.JPG
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	284918[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Comment

Name:	DSCN0029.JPG
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	284919

Name:	DSCN0030.JPG
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	284920

Name:	DSCN0031.JPG
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	284921
                      I am getting the hang of downloading pics. the build so far this is a very slow process trying to work between weather, and other projects and working to pay for all of this, but it will be well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Boiler Bob View Post
                        Thanks for the pics. I will Download a pic as soon as I can. I got the blocks all stacked and am ready to pour the voids. Should I leave a foot of rebar out so I can bend it into the hearth slab? We are having crappy weather wind and rain, so I work when I can. I think oven builders are a committed bunch, ah, for the love of pizza.
                        It looks like you are golden in your planning for the rebar. Just bend it over and wire it to the horizontal rebar for the hearth and you'll have a strong and unified perch for the oven
                        Lee B.
                        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

I have a couple of questions but I don't know where to ask them. #1. I bought perlite already but it turns out it is the block fill kind, for block insulation. Will it work for pearlcrete insulation? #2 Will adding fireclay to sackrete hs mortar work for setting the fire brick for the dome? I thought somebody on the forum has done this and I am wondering how it worked. Thanks to the forum for all of the help and insight.
                          Boiler Bob

Comment

[IMG]PhotoPlog - Hearth and Stand[/IMG]
                            I got the hearth poured today 25 sackrete,mixed in a wheelbarrow and sholved.

Comment

Name:	ovenpics.jpg
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	285410

Name:	ovenpics2 003.jpg
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	285411

Name:	ovenpics2 009.jpg
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	285412
                              these are some photos that I took as I went along. Nothing fancy but i think it will work. I am using the indispensible tool to build.

Comment

Working...
                              X