Perth WA Pizza Oven/Outdoor Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perth WA Pizza Oven/Outdoor Kitchen

Thankfully on saturday it was nice enough weather for me to make some progress. I had the father inlaw over to help again which was handy! It meant I could concentrate on the mortaring whilst he cut the bricks required.

At this stage I think there will be 2-3 more rings till completion of the dome, then probably another saturday or two of the front arch section. I can smell the pizzas already!

Yes i know my arch transitions look messy, but its structurally strong and looks good from the inside

Last picture of me playing with the chimney, undecided as to whether i go backwards or forwards through the patio..

Comment

Hi All,

I found a cheap brick saw rental in the past week and decided I just had to get in whilst it was available, this meant I completed the front arch before closing the dome, which i know was a backwards method, but im sure i'll manage to clean the inside still.

Was nice to use a wet brick saw compared to a dry drop saw.. a whole world of difference.

I just laid a halfbrick to test my theory for the transition, but im hoping to have that completed sometime soon!.

Will be pulling out the form tonight to cleanup the mortar.. im hoping 2 days to dry is enough to pullout the forms.

Chris.

Comment

Ahh Glasshopper, I see you have used shims for the arch template, velly good.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          Ahh Glasshopper, I see you have used shims for the arch template, velly good.
          After lurking this forum for 6months, one does tend to pickup alot of usefull information.

Comment

So last night I removed the formwork and got to work on gap filling and cleaning it all up, Im not too happy with some of the angles and gaps but im sure once the pizza starts rolling out, it will be a thing of the past.

Im hoping my flue transition isnt too big/small.. and that it works ok!

Such a slow progress! this project is definately teaching me a thing or two about patience.

Comment

hey there,

wondering where you got the firebricks from in Perth?

Comment

Alex. These are just solid cream house bricks. They are fired at around 1400c so well above the temps a pizza oven will get!
                As to the performance... We shall find out very soon! Any questions for supplies on anything let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by chidding View Post
                  Alex. These are just solid cream house bricks. They are fired at around 1400c so well above the temps a pizza oven will get!
                  As to the performance... We shall find out very soon! Any questions for supplies on anything let me know.
                  hey thanks for that. yea be interested in where you got them from and what you paid.

i built a barrel style oven about a year ago and used second hand fire bricks as the hearth and red brick for dome. worked perfectly fine but cutting old kiln bricks was a mongrel job...

what do you use for the cooking floor?

Comment

Got a pack of 256 or something for $300. From midland brick on armadale road. Used them for the floor aswell. For my 36inch oven I've got heaps left over. Can sell you the leftovers when I'm done If you looking for a cheap option.

Comment

interesting...be interested to see how those bricks go on the floor...and also in heat retention as well....

yea shoot me a message on here if u have any leftovers...be defintly interested in purchasing...

Comment

One more ring and a keystone to go! finally getting close!! this last ring was so complex in comparison to the rest. Managed to get them relatively lined up, although one brick from the inside looks abit dodgy, doubt anyone will ever see it.. or care for that matter.. not long till curing time!! hooray!

Comment

DOME COMPLETED!

Wow what a feeling, although it seems like this has gone on forever, its only been just over 2months, but im so glad to have got up to this stage so quickly.

Now to finish off the chimney spigot mounting and start the curing fires! I can tell I will have to restrain myself with the fires, as im so keen to get a huge fire roaring!!

Attached is some pics, wasnt able to get inside the oven so the gaps look quite big at the top, but are much tidier than they appear.

Comment

Originally posted by chidding View Post
                            im so keen to get a huge fire roaring!!
                            Slowly Glasshopper, slowly.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Finally!

All the brickwork is completed! chimney spigot has been mounted and cemented + concrete screwed in, hoping this will not have issues with expansion but im guessing it should be ok!

Such a relief to pack away the brick saw! was getting sick of cleaning up the brick dust/mess every time! but hopefully it will be all worth it.

Next stage is to put a roof above the outdoorkitchen/pizza oven.. this will be a grey tinted polycarbonte to keep out the hot sun/rain! Doing that in 2 weeks, in the meantime, will attempt to cure it using heatbeads for chimineas.. hoping this is ok? will be using eco firelights so-as to not contaminate with kerosene.

Once roofing is done. it will be blanket/render time.. then chimney .. then PARTY!!!

soo happy

Comment

Noice.......

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X