Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down Under Brick Dome Build

G'Day Cobbers,

I have been looking on this site for a while and there are some bloody good builds on here. Some really top stuff!! I just hope mine turns out half as good as some of them.

My Mrs (The Boss) and I have finally decided on a location for the oven. It will be right down the back of the yard. We are planning on building an extension on the back of the house one day soon and dont want the oven to get in the way.

There was an old sandpit here which I have removed. I spent most of Sunday clearing it out and getting reading for the slab / formwork.

Cheers,

Matt

Re: Down Under Brick Dome Build

Hi Matt, and welcome aboard.
    I have added you to the ever growing list of Aussie forum contributors.
    A little word of advice, dig a beam footing and include a few reinforcing rods as the stand and oven will weigh in close to a ton and will need more than what looks like a 4" (100mm) slab!
    Great to see that you are already up with the pics. Keep them coming.

Cheers.

Neill
    Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
    Neill’s kitchen underway
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Hi Matt.

Dont put it too far from the house, once you start using it you will want to use it every weekend to do all manner off cooking, traipsing long distances to and fro from the kitchen especially with a hot tray of meat will become a chore.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

....... couldn't agree more get it near house...... And also get it under cover, well at least the mouth of it so that you can cook whatever the weather. Welcome aboard anyway
        Cheers
        Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Make sure you get all of the roots from the trees out from under where the foundation is going to go. Just my $.02.
          "You can tell a dutchman,
          but you can't tell him much"

Comment

Hard work to do that
            You would kill those trees too
            Just dont water near the slab and the roots should keep chasing water down deep and somewhere else

Comment

I have to agree you don't want the oven too far from the house. If the plan is to build the extension to the house in the near future I guess it isn't a problem. The problem I had was construction slowed way down as I was busy cooking in my oven.

Comment

You can't remove those big root unless you want the trees to fall over on your house or your oven (I am an Arborist). As well as those trees may get bigger and lift the slab/oven if you leave them. You need to talk to someone who knows those trees before you do anything. Picking the right spot for an oven can be the hardest part.
                Good Luck,

Mike D

Comment

Matt,
                  those trees will cause you some heartache down the track as they grow. Even if you put down some serious foundations, the trees WILL LIFT THEM in time. I have numerous retaining walls with reinforced centre and have cracked over the 30 years since being built by tree roots.
                  Why not look at putting down some piers, 1000-1500mm down and supporting the footings on them OR put your oven on a steel trolley, make it mobile!
                  Just a thought.

Cheers.

Neill
                  Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                  Neill’s kitchen underway
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

G?Day Guys,

I am glad I decided to put my build up on this site. It is good to get comments and suggestions from people who have been there and done it before. I am sure this will be a massive help along the way.

In regards to the location of the oven we have been looking at that for about 12 months now and it has probably moved at least 5 or 6 times. Down the back looks like where it will have to go. Our yard is long and narrow plus there is a double garage up near the house. Plus the other major factor is the extension we will be putting on is a big entertaining / dining area so it won?t be too far to walk with the food.
                    Additionally I am going to turn that back area into an outdoor kitchen with seating area.

The slab will be 6? and I still have a bit more digging to do. I have not been able to do anything lately with the weather we have been having around here. I have been talking to a few mates and looking at different options for footings. This might end up being a bit different but we will see what happens. Not much I can do about the trees as the council won?t let me chop them down I will just have to work around them.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice.

Rain, rain and more rain...

Comment

G'Day,

Just wondering if anyone has installed a damp proof course on their brick / block stand?

There is a lot of talk on here about keeping the over dry and protecting it from the elements.

What about rising damp?

Just a thought. I think I will definatley be installing it in my stand.

Comment

Gudday
                        Don't even think.... just do it

Regards Dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Good idea Dave!! I will definately be putting one in.

I finished off the formwork on ANZAC Day and then poured the slab on Saturday.
                          Nothing special with the foundations as that was expensive enough for my budget.

I'm pretty happy with it considering it is the first slab of concrete I have ever poured.

Also had to set up a fence up to keep the dogs off it...

While the slab is curing I have a pile of second hand bricks to clean before I can start building the stand. I can't complain as I got them for free.

Comment

Gudday
                            Cleaned a few bricks before of there mortar....use your brick trowel... strike it the trowel edge just on the edge of the mortar and brick at 45 degree , just a quike blow. If a secound blow doesn't get a result try a blow right in the middle of the mortar at 90 degree and then back at the edge again . The brick trowel is lite enough not to damage your brick like a hammer. Trust me you'll figure it out real after a few bricks and you'll find that the trowel makes a real ring sound on a clean hit.
                            Check your first bricks with a hammer on the ground if a blow in the middle cause them to crummble into many sections....forget it.
                            If it breaks cleanly in 1/2 it should be strong enough to use.
                            I too built my oven on a budget just buy as you can afford and it'll happen

Regards Dave
                            Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-01-2012, 03:46 AM. Reason: spelling
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once
                            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                            My Door
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

G'Day Guys,

I am back after a bit of a break.

With the birth of our first baby back in May, Pizza Oven Building has been on the back burner. She is now 6 months old and we are settled in and into a bit of a routine so construction has resumed.

After finally cleaning enough bricks for the stand I got stuck into building it. It's pretty rough but not bad for my first ever bit of bricklaying. The bricks were 300mm long instead of 230mm so it was a bit confusing working out the bond.

Comment

Working...
                              X