Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Down Under Brick Dome Build

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
    That's a relief. Can cancel the appt. to get the eyes checked. Your oven looks good! You are getting near the tasty part and the reward for the labours.

Cheers............ Steve

Hey Steve,

Thanks mate!! Not long to go now I can almost taste the Pizza

Finally get some reward for all the hard work.

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

Nice brick work, something about fires that is mysterious.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Looks good Matt. You're not far off Pizza!
        Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Gudday
          Just had a look at the photos a little more closely , notice the cut outs in the brick back wall. Now i like that ,that's a good idea... Lets a bit of airflow around the wood.
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            Nice brick work, something about fires that is mysterious.
            Thanks Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkey View Post
              Looks good Matt. You're not far off Pizza!
              Thanks Sharkey I cant wait. Anymore progress on your outdoor area?

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                Gudday
                Just had a look at the photos a little more closely , notice the cut outs in the brick back wall. Now i like that ,that's a good idea... Lets a bit of airflow around the wood.
                Regards dave
                Hey Dave,

I am not sure if it will make a difference or not but it worked out well with the brick bond so I went for it. It might just make it easier for snakes and spiders to make a home in there

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

G'Day Guys,

I had last Friday off work so I took the opportunity to start a small fire around lunchtime. I had already had a few small fires in there during the week to push out some moisture. As the day went on I slowly built it up in order to do some cooking that night for dinner. Around 6PM I had enough of a fire going that the dome finally went white and I knew she was ready to go..

I bought a long probe dial temp gauge. So I could use it while I am cooking I drilled a hole through the middle of half a brick and mounted it in there. I will swap it between that and the door when I get around to making one.

Here are some photos.... It was a bloody beauty!!! Everything was cooked to perfection and tasted sensational.

We cooked about 6 Pizza's, 2 Pides and a loaf of bread. I was very pleased with the results

Comment

First Pizza! Congratulations, it looks great.
                    Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Looks great. The tasty end of the WFO building project and isn't it worth the work!!

The temp gauge in the half brick is a good idea too, consider it stolen. Imitation is the highest form of flattery I am told.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks guys. All the hard work has finally paid off. We can start enjoying some meals cooked in the old girl. Still a bit to do with finishing touches and insulation but I will get there...

Wood Duck

If you have a look in the second photo, the shot of the oven at night you will see in the bottom left hand corner a roughly cut piece of Hebel sitting on top of two bricks. I put the half brick with the temp gauge in between the other two. There you have it one temporary door

It still had some gaps around the edge but it did the job. I still had some hot coals up against the back wall when I cooked the bread. To be honest I think it was still way to hot to cook the bread so I had it just inside the door so it didn't burn.

15 minutes and I turned it around for another 15 minutes with the other side facing the coals. I have been practicing making bread in the oven in the kitchen. This turned out better than anything I have cooked before. The oven inside the house just doesn't get hot enough to get these sort of results.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                          Looks great. The tasty end of the WFO building project and isn't it worth the work!!

The temp gauge in the half brick is a good idea too, consider it stolen. Imitation is the highest form of flattery I am told.
                          No worries Greenman. It's good I can lend an idea myself as I have stolen plenty from other peoples builds along the way.

By the way thank you to everyone on here that has helped me with the build. This website is a fantastic resource and I don't think I would have even tried to start it without Forno Bravo being here.

Thanks

Comment

Gudday
                            That's a good looking loaf. Great to see . Just a small point on using you oven there is a school of thought out there that you must take the oven to pizza temps first and then wait as it cools over days to get to the lower baking temps. While that works I done it heaps before its still possible to do a short firing pull out the fire wack on the door and let it the temps settle to roast and bake on the same day. I often poke around the garden while tending the oven and by the end of the day I have both a tidy yard and a roast and bread ... A cold beer and your a satisfied man!
                            There's now a link at the bottom to hebel doors I have made. There easy to make cheap and the materials easy found. I have found silastic the best way to attach a face to the door it insulates so well the silastic and face are always cool unlike a couple of metal ones I have seen.
                            Anyway good to see it finished to the cooking stage
                            Regards dave
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once
                            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                            My Door
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

. Just a small point on using you oven there is a school of thought out there that you must take the oven to pizza temps first and then wait as it cools over days to get to the lower baking temps.
                              I havent heard that one before Dave?
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday
                                That's a good looking loaf. Great to see . Just a small point on using you oven there is a school of thought out there that you must take the oven to pizza temps first and then wait as it cools over days to get to the lower baking temps. While that works I done it heaps before its still possible to do a short firing pull out the fire wack on the door and let it the temps settle to roast and bake on the same day. I often poke around the garden while tending the oven and by the end of the day I have both a tidy yard and a roast and bread ... A cold beer and your a satisfied man!
                                There's now a link at the bottom to hebel doors I have made. There easy to make cheap and the materials easy found. I have found silastic the best way to attach a face to the door it insulates so well the silastic and face are always cool unlike a couple of metal ones I have seen.
                                Anyway good to see it finished to the cooking stage
                                Regards dave
                                Hey Dave,

What school is that from??? The School of Mis-information? I know of 3 Excellent Bakers on this Forum, that belong to the School of Knowing Your Oven, and would argue that taking it to a saturation level that allows you to complete your baking requirement would be the better approach. But as I always say, correct me if I'm wrong, the older I get the wronger, I become.

Comment

Working...
                                X