Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Backofen

Originally posted by Coloradoredusa View Post
    Thanks guys .. I am on my way to HD to get the materials for the IT and a new saw blade. will post progress this evening .. thanks again!
    I see the Kissing Camels in your signature! Lived one mile from them for 15 years, lots of good memories rock scrambling with my grandchildren.
    Lee B.
    DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
      I would not taper my bricks again. It was a lot of effort with little return. Also, I would not attempt a tiny mortar seam on the inside of the oven (that makes it impossible to completely chink the openings between the bricks with mortar. At least one forth inch of mortar between bricks has worked fine in many a good build. Those are a couple of my observations in hindsight, I hope they are useful to you.

I agree you can get a good build either way. My suggestion to taper was based solely on the use of HS50. At $80-100 per bag, the return on tapering is that mortar goes much further. If you are using homebrew then the cost vs. time equation is less compelling.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
        I agree you can get a good build either way. My suggestion to taper was based solely on the use of HS50. At $80-100 per bag, the return on tapering is that mortar goes much further. If you are using homebrew then the cost vs. time equation is less compelling.
        I wasn't trying to be mean, just reiterating my thoughts. Thoughts we discussed on the telephone, and were not pointed at your remarks deejayoh.
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
          I wasn't trying to be mean, just reiterating my thoughts. Thoughts we discussed on the telephone, and were not pointed at your remarks deejayoh.
          no worries. I didn't take your comment as mean or critical in any way. apologies if my remarks came across as defensive. It's all good conversation
          My build progress

Comment

here is the photo of the brick..lemme know..
            “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

Ummm. yeah.. that didn't work.. I guess I need to find a bag of fire clay..I had too much sand and not enough clay.. wont post any pictures of that fiasco..
              any suggestions?

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

here is the photo of the brick..lemme know..
                That looks right for the cuts.

You might want to use a herringbone pattern on your floor so that you don't have bricks perpendicular to your peel.

Ummm. yeah.. that didn't work.. I guess I need to find a bag of fire clay..I had too much sand and not enough clay.. wont post any pictures of that fiasco..
                any suggestions?
                Cut a bunch of your sailor bricks and you will have plenty more wet fireclay. Just clean out the saw tray.
                My build progress

Comment

How thick does the bed need to be?
                  On the herring bone pattern.. aren't there going to be ridges on that even when its tapped into the clay?

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

How thick does the bed need to be?
                    On the herring bone pattern.. aren't there going to be ridges on that even when its tapped into the clay?
                    Thick enough to level the bricks used for the floor only. If they are flat without filler, you don't need it.
                    Lee B.
                    DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Thanks Lee Thanks DJ... will be cutting a mess of bricks tomorrow again!

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Did you use a square notch trowel to trowel it out? It only needs to be as thick as the grooves. 1/4" maybe?
                        Last edited by deejayoh; 05-02-2012, 07:37 PM.
                        My build progress

Comment

Yah.. bought the same one at Ace.. I'll see how it goes tomorrow..
                          My head hurts now..LOL

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Hah. I haven't been able to work on my oven since Sunday night. Pulled off the tarp and looked at the last three bricks I laid, and they looked horrible. None of them lined up. I wondered if I had been drunk when I put them in and just forgot that part. Ended up knocking them out with a cold chisel.

Sometimes it's one step forward, two steps back.
                            My build progress

Comment

so I cut a bunch of bricks at a 7 degree angle today .. question.. on the sailor course, when i do set them in HS50 do I stagger the mortar joints on the second course? Do I cut the the second course with the taper 7 deg? Or do I do whole half brick?

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

I did a mock-up of the arch..14 inch door opening 9 inches from the floor..
                                should I put a tapered brick in the center ?

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X