Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Backofen

Originally posted by Coloradoredusa View Post
    so I cut a bunch of bricks at a 7 degree angle today .. question.. on the sailor course, when i do set them in HS50 do I stagger the mortar joints on the second course? Do I cut the the second course with the taper 7 deg? Or do I do whole half brick?

Mortar the first chain together by the sides. you don't need to mortar to the floor.

If you want those tighter joints, the second chain (and all after that) will also have the 7 degree cut on both sides. And yes, stagger the joints

I think your second chain will be tilted in a bit. To figure this out, mock up the profile of your dome on a flat surface with a bunch of half bricks to see how much you need each chain to be tilted. Try to keep it uniform for each chain. It's probably going to be 1/4 or 3/8" range. You can do this with just the mortar

Of you want to avoid the triangular joints inside the oven, then check out the approach in this thread for cutting the bricks. It's not neccessary to do this, but it does give you nice tight joints inside the oven and doesnt really take any longer.

Here's a picture of the first three chains on my oven for reference. Note that I built my dome around my floor, and didn't start the arch of my dome until the fourth chain - so it's not exactly the same but will give you reference on how your first two chains should look.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thanks DJ..I think I will just go with the 7deg cuts.. I will be ok with the small mortar joints on the inside..I do appreciate the quick responses..Thanks!
      “Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.”

Trellis

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

sigpic

Comment

should I put a tapered brick in the center ?
        It's not required. If it's the outside arch you can get creative. I put in a piece of Nevada granite that I pulled out of the desert. We've seen quite a few clever ideas for a keystone.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

If you taper your bricks, you can make three cuts per brick and have two tapered half-bricks if you plan well enough. It will work for several rings.

Staggering the bricks on each ring is important. I still recommend at least 1/4 inch of mortar between the bricks, rather than contact at the edges (wish I had left that 1/4 inch in there!). You are watching for freezing weather, right Trellis?
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Thanks DJ..I think I will just go with the 7deg cuts.. I will be ok with the small mortar joints on the inside..I do appreciate the quick responses..Thanks!
            I love to feel like I can be helpful (whether I am or not!). I have learned so much from others on this site. Wouldn't have much more than a pile of bricks were it not for the patient input of others

BTW - looking at your pictures of the first chain - are you going with that layout, or are you tapering them?
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

lots of work yesterday..

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Is looking good Trellis
                Lee B.
                DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Finished the arch today!!!!!!!!! too dark to take pics.. pics tomorrow!

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Arch Mortared in and 3rd course finished..hopefully will have time on the weekend to do course 4!

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

So not much progress.. last week was back to work after Vacation..long days ,then crappy weather.. this weekend continued crappy weather and today Mothers Day!..so this next week I will cut more firebrick and look to getting another course done!

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Trying to do a little each day after work! Almost done with the 4th course..hopefully pics tomorrow!

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

5th course almost done.. pics attached!

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

You are making it look easy! Won't be long now
                            Lee B.
                            DFW area, Texas, USA

Comment

Help..Re: The Backofen

Ummm. Yah.. Well I am wiggin out .I dont know what to do. My project has been moving along nicely,but now I know that the calculations that i made were incorrect.. My dome is going to be right at 20". This is several inches higher than what I figured..my dome and brick work are good but the dome obviously higher than what it should be.. It looks more like a beehive than what i think it should look like. I am wiggin now .. I had help with the bricks , and yah there you go.
                              What should I do?

Trellis

sigpic

Comment

Cook Pizza.

Comment

Working...
                                X