Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" FB Pompeii Oven with 19" dome, and adjacent fireplace, in the O.C.

Good stuff there man. Next time take the meat IT over 200F so you get shredded beef, or if you want to slice dont over cook it, take it to 130-140 IT. Also dont trim the fat, thats where the flavor is.
    Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Thank's V-wiz,
      I have been lurking over there with the "Brethren". A lot of good info there too. I never trim the fat, I just tell my wife that I selected lean beaf and trimmed the excess fat . I have never used a meat thermometer, though that is next on my list .
      Last edited by Gulf; 01-13-2013, 03:17 PM.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
        Thank's V-wiz,
        I have been lurking over there with the "Brethren". A lot of good info there too. I never trim the fat, I just tell my wife that I selected lean beaf and trimmed the excess fat . I have never used a meat thermometer, though that is next on my list .
        Ya, alot of good stuff there. The only time i trim off the fat cap is when im doing tri tip or any other tender cuts, other than that, such as Brisket its good to leave a 1/4" of fat cap, it will render and drip off & into the meat anyways. Some will disagree either way, and will trim off the fat to get a nice char/bark & seasoning, you will have to play with it and see what you like. Regarding the meat thermometer, i have one of these, been working great so far and its cheap.Amazon.com: Maverick Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set - Maverick ET73: Kitchen & Dining
        Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Hi DVM,

I smoked brickets to make pastrami all the time in my oven and never had a cresote coating. Are burning treated lumber or some green wood? I smoke my meat on bricks supported Tuscan grill, so the the meat is high in the dome and place fruit wood chunks on ash covered coal and once the start smoking I seal the door with no air flow, ever hour or so I open the door to allow air the bring the cinder back to life and repeat the process. rea results, no problems.

Comment

Gulf
            I am interested to hear how you roasts turn out. My Brisket was not bad - but not ideal. I intended to leave 1/4 of fat but in-fact left a 6 inch by 8 inch by 1.5 inch high slab of fat - into which I placed my meat thermometer - which I think is why I was on the verge of over cooking the meat even thought the probe (the probe built into my indoor oven) only read 180

I prepped the corbels today. - yes I drilled in several bars of re-bar in each at differing angles. I will plan to pour one evening, remove the forms the next day and and see what works. I will escalate from sponge to nylon brush to steel brush as needed.
            dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
            sigpic

Comment

Laurentis
              I am cooking with Almond wood and added a few hand fulls of Hickory. The meat was on a rack over a 4 inch pan. My plan was to cook the meat from the retained heat in the oven and have active embers smoking for flavor. In attempt to retain heat I starved my embers. I used the word creosote to describe soot on the meat which i think was the result of smoldering embers in a cooling oven.
              I cooked the meat to 180 on the thermometer - It still had moisture but no hint of red - which was more "done" than I like. I will try for an IT of 140.
              dvm

sigpic

Comment

Actually the roasts turned out a little too smokey. And again, it might be the gravy from the onions, garlic, and drippings that absorbed the smoke. I used that for a side of rice. I only had seasoned red oak to fire and later smoke with. I will be slicing the rest for sandwiches. They should not be to smokey for that. It is a learning process. I have been given a wind fell pecan tree to remove. I am seasoning some old growth scupernine vine at the moment. Will try it again later.

I figured you had it covered on supporting the corbels, I just had to ask. Since you mentioned my build and the corbels, did you read the warning that Karangi Dude gave me about the depth of the landing?
                Again, Just wondering .
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf
                  Thanks for the heads up on the landing. The front of the enclosure and outer arch sits 8 inches back from the front edge of the stand. I plan to make a landing the extends 24 inches from the enclosure on the left and right with rounded edges that sweep back to about 10 inch depth in front of the enclosure - the 2 inch will over hang my planned veneer stone.
                  dvm

sigpic

Comment

I had a lot of fun over the weekend - I enjoy tackling new projects. I poured my corbels then exposed the aggregate, in the style of Gulf. I started with a wet sponge, then a nylon brush, then a steel brush - I took photos to show the progression.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-13 15.39.21.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	898.7 KB
ID:	292780Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-13 16.52.50.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	631.2 KB
ID:	292781Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-20 12.37.41.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	753.4 KB
ID:	292782Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-20 12.40.06.jpg
Size:	896.3 KB
ID:	292783Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-20 12.44.13.jpg
Size:	866.4 KB
ID:	292784
                    So I am framing the landing, then hearth on the adjacent fireplace and the seating on the adjacent pony wall this weekend - hope to pour the following week. We shall see.
                    I have 10 pounds of dry pigment. I am thinking of using
                    QUIKRETE Crack Resistant Concrete Mix which says:
                    "4000 psi (27.6 MPa) construction grade concrete, consisting of a uniformly blended and properly proportioned mixture of aggregates, Portland cement, air-entraining admixtures, special synthetic reinforcing fibers, and other concrete approved ingredients."
                    If I later grind and polish this slab, will I have fibers visible at the polished surface?
                    dvm

sigpic

Comment

dvm -

Looks good. I used those fibers in my concrete pour, and had no problems with them showing once I ground and polished

One question for you - how deep is your landing going to be? I ask because mine is about 15" deep - hangs out about 4" beyond my stand. I found that even adding that little bit made it more difficult to place pizzas in the oven. It looks like you might have quite a deep landing. Have you tried working that far from the oven yet?
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

deejayoh

Thanks for the info on the fibers in the cement and the head's up on the landing. I am actually planning two curved counters on either side that tie together in the middle. I currently have 8 inches of stand in front of my landing and I only plan to extend that two inches. I hope to get the framing done tonight, Photos will make it more clear.
                        dvm

sigpic

Comment

Here Is what I have so far for the landing. Still planning to add re-bar.
                          dvm

sigpic

Comment

dvm,

Jealous you can still work. I'm up to eyeballs in snow and the high temps low teens.....for now, can only dream about finishing the outside of my dome.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Love the shape of your landing! That will let you get right in there when you need to. I haven't completely figured out what I want to do with my landing / counter tops yet. Definitely concrete but now you've got me thinking more about the shape!...Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on what you learn along the way.

AT

Comment

Russell
                                We don't really have seasons here. That is good and bad. In the summer I would come home and work on thd WFO until 8. I don't just have the gumption to work 2 or 3 hours past sundown in the "winter" but I am fitting in a few hours on the weekends. When I started last May I thought I would be done by the end of July. Ha. New target is May 2013.
                                dvm

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X