New Build Oven At Granite Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Build Oven At Granite Falls

Boy miss counted here, my opening is too small. 2 soldiers removed and the entrance rebuilt. That's better, bigger pizzas
    Capt. Paul
    Granite Falls WA, USA.
    Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Second course laid, these are all wedge shaped to start the roof line.

Third course much less of a wedge and sides cut to go around the circle. The remaining bricks will have a slightly shallower wedge and progressively more of side cut angles as the dome climbs. These are all hand laid. Need to decide on which system to use to finish the rest of the brick courses.

Capt. Paul
      Granite Falls WA, USA.
      Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Looking good. Curious about where you found the 12 x 12 firebrick tiles? I looked for something like that locally (I am in Seattle) and could not find them
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Found them at Harbison-Walker Refactories in Kent.
          19817 8th Ave S Suite D
          Kent, WA
          Manager's name is Daniel.

They were $20 a piece. They have larger but get exponentially more as they get bigger.
          Capt. Paul
          Granite Falls WA, USA.
          Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
            If you do the calculation for the weight of a full brick oven from the hearth up, you will find the required PSI of the hearth slab to be incredibly low. Factor in where the majority of the weight is (the perimeter), and a solid 2" slab will probably be fine. Add another 2" if you want, it won't hurt anything.
            Actually Tom, if you study it a bit more carefully you find that the heaviest part of the oven is not at the perimeter, but somewhere closer in. For this reason I believe that a cantileverd stand, under the supporting slab is a stronger solution. Ultimately is doesn't really matter so long as the thing is strong enough so it doesn't fail.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
              Actually Tom, if you study it a bit more carefully you find that the heaviest part of the oven is not at the perimeter, but somewhere closer in. For this reason I believe that a cantileverd stand, under the supporting slab is a stronger solution. Ultimately is doesn't really matter so long as the thing is strong enough so it doesn't fail.
              Well to be safe, I've installed an adjustable steel building support post and a large steel disk on the top of the post (It was laying around the property so perfect and free). The post will not really get in the way of the wood storage.
              Capt. Paul
              Granite Falls WA, USA.
              Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Since the perimeter of the oven is the only thing that touches the hearth, it is the only place were there is ANY weight, other than the brick of the floor (and the perimeter of the hearth slab will have weight if there is an enclosure).

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                  Since the perimeter of the oven is the only thing that touches the hearth, it is the only place were there is ANY weight, other than the brick of the floor (and the perimeter of the hearth slab will have weight if there is an enclosure).
                  Yes true, I was thinking of an igloo which has very little mass outside the inner dome.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

man7sell
                    How goes the build?
                    dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
                    sigpic

Comment

I was trying to do an update using photobucket today but the site's not working correctly today. I will try from another computer
                      Capt. Paul
                      Granite Falls WA, USA.
                      Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Huh, must be my other computer's java is out of date. Works from my MAC Update to come.
                        Capt. Paul
                        Granite Falls WA, USA.
                        Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Made a version of the indispensable tool (IT) for the dome build. Used hardware from Home Depot and stuff I had laying around. Works great and is fully adjustable. Up to the third course now. At this point it is time to build the entranceway to allow the intersection of the dome to tie in with the entrance.

Each brick gets cut 3 ways to radius the dome and create to dome profile.

Here's the IT made from a castor wheel I had and a piece of threaded rod. (Never throw anything away right?).

OK, don't get a photo of me everyday, usually the one taking the photos.

Capt. Paul
                          Granite Falls WA, USA.
                          Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Did you use 5000psi concrete or something equivalent? My hearth is about 3 1/2 thick. But I know very little about how much weight concrete can hold. I do have rebar in mine. Quite a bit. Your cinderblock structure looks great! I like the concrete pad underneath. Will make your area very clean looking.

Comment

Originally posted by ShannonCorum View Post
                              Did you use 5000psi concrete or something equivalent? My hearth is about 3 1/2 thick. But I know very little about how much weight concrete can hold. I do have rebar in mine. Quite a bit. Your cinderblock structure looks great! I like the concrete pad underneath. Will make your area very clean looking.
                              No idea what the strength rating of the concrete is. Rebar should support the load.

The concrete pad underneath was the work of my next door neighbor out there. He was really good at it. Later we will add mosaic tile on it to match whatever design we come up with for the oven
                              Capt. Paul
                              Granite Falls WA, USA.
                              Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Looks like good progress. Are you planning a spherical dome or something lower?
                                dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X