Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Build Oven At Granite Falls

Originally posted by dvm View Post
    Looks like good progress. Are you planning a spherical dome or something lower?
    It is a lower design half way between the Tuscan and the Neapolitan. The Naples for a 42" diameter has the roof at a low 15.5 inches while the Tuscan is 21". Mine is more a hybrid with an oven height around 19". This places my oven (per Google Earth) around about Rome. So mine would be a Romany oven?
    Capt. Paul
    Granite Falls WA, USA.
    Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

I am with you (in Rome?) with a 42 inch diameter and 19 inch dome height (So I planned - we will see the true height soon enough). I tapered my bricks for the course front to back, and beveled the sides to minimize the "inverted V" are you also also cutting the top and bottom of the brick? If so very cool .... and you will be using a LOT of bricks.
      dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
      sigpic

Comment

I am with you (in Rome?) with a 42 inch diameter and 19 inch dome height (So I planned - we will see the true height soon enough). I tapered my bricks for the course front to back, and beveled the sides to minimize the "inverted V" are you also also cutting the top and bottom of the brick? If so very cool .... and you will be using a LOT of bricks.
        Just the bottom of the bricks so far. Some update photos to follow from this weekend
        Capt. Paul
        Granite Falls WA, USA.
        Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Just when I had my angles and bevels figured out, the dome curved over and the angles (which had been in creasing slowly needed to decrease and the bevel which seemed like it would never change has increased rapidly and dramatically on the last few courses! Mortar saves the day.
          dvm

sigpic

Comment

Checking my angles and it seams I'm right on track. I set up a flat pattern side profile to work out how each tier angle would have to be cut.....So far so good said the man falling off a cliff.

Capt. Paul
            Granite Falls WA, USA.
            Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

You are making good progress - and I see the wood is already stacked. The only wood I have around my place is stained with cement having been used for forms!
              dvm

sigpic

Comment

You are making good progress - and I see the wood is already stacked. The only wood I have around my place is stained with cement having been used for forms!
                Yes, lots of wood stacked, that's just a small portion. I have at least a dozen more trees to fell, buck, cut, split, and then stack. (I call the place the Pilchuck Health Club) Most of this wood will be used in the fire pit next to the oven, then later in the main house when it is built. What I'm looking for is local people that have apple or other fruit trees that need trimming or felling. Those would make for good oven wood. Have chain saw will travel
                Capt. Paul
                Granite Falls WA, USA.
                Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Here's a pic of the entrance and smoke stack hole.

Capt. Paul
                  Granite Falls WA, USA.
                  Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

In looking at your build it appears that your bricks may be to vertical, The face of the brick should be perpendicular to the form you made and from what I see they appear to be to steep at the current chain.

Forgive me if this is just an optical illusion.

Chip
                    Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                      In looking at your build it appears that your bricks may be to vertical, The face of the brick should be perpendicular to the form you made and from what I see they appear to be to steep at the current chain.

Forgive me if this is just an optical illusion.

Chip
                      Yep optical illusion, wide angle lenses on small cameras I'll try to get a better depiction this weekend, and lay more bricks
                      Capt. Paul
                      Granite Falls WA, USA.
                      Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Hello Man7sell

How goes the build? I hope you are enjoying it. It got more difficult (for me) near the dome closure.
                        dvm

sigpic

Comment

All You Guys out in the states seem to have this oven building project off to a fine art between you .. I am now 10 days into my very first brick oven .. it is 45" wide x 18" high .. need plenty of instant heat .. but it is become very difficult after teh first 4/5 links .. Any advice around for teh best way of finishing off teh top half of teh oven .. ? ? ?

Comment

Hello Man7sell

How goes the build? I hope you are enjoying it. It got more difficult (for me) near the dome closure.
                            Got one more rung done this weekend. It's the transition to the entrance that is driving me nuts (short drive miss daisy).
                            When I get this right the remaining rungs should go easier
                            Last edited by man7sell; 08-13-2012, 08:25 AM.
                            Capt. Paul
                            Granite Falls WA, USA.
                            Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Hang in there and think of pizza
                              dvm

sigpic

Comment

Finally FINALLY The last key stone added, Last few interior holidays grouted. Time to burn.

OK so I don't know if this is the correct way to cure the oven, but I'm now on the third burn, each one a little hotter. I'm doing this before the insolation and final outer shell is built. Wanted to be able to fix anything that goes wrong. Anyway here it is.

Video oven next to the river
                                Property :: IMG_0094.mp4 video by man7sell - Photobucket
                                Capt. Paul
                                Granite Falls WA, USA.
                                Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Working...
                                X