New Build Oven At Granite Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Build Oven At Granite Falls

Started my first and probably only, pizza oven build. We bought a half acre next to the Pilchuck river. The pizza oven will be part of the outdoor kitchen.

Progress so far is the base built. Oven bricks, FB, Insulation material, etc purchased. Design will be a 42 inch inside 21 inch oven height.

Here's pics of the base.

Capt. Paul
    Granite Falls WA, USA.
    Oven In Granite Falls

Re: New Build Oven At Granite Falls

How thick is your heart slab? It might be just a scale illusion but that doesn't look like 4" to me?

Comment

You are right, it's getting a second layer with more rebar this weekend. I was going to do the insulating layer but then went for the FB option so extra concrete needed
      Capt. Paul
      Granite Falls WA, USA.
      Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Even with insulating layer the slab should be 4" of concrete with single cast. Insulation is not structural element, it would not withstand the weight.

I'm not sure if 2 more inches of concrete will make up that it's poured in two layers, even with more rebar. Maybe someone wiser could chime in on this?

Comment

My concrete expert (Contractor guy next door) say it should be good as there is a bonding agent you can use between the layers to make the concrete adhere to the first pour. This said, it may be wise to add some vertical strengthening bolts set just below the surface of the second pour. But open to any inputs...that's why we are here right?

Cheers

Paul
          Capt. Paul
          Granite Falls WA, USA.
          Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

I'd just add at least 1" of more concrete making it additional 3" or more. If for nothing else then peace of mind. That being said, I'm not an expert in this area.

Concrete is cheap compared to collapsed oven and the amount of labour that would be wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Laku View Post
              I'd just add at least 1" of more concrete making it additional 3" or more. If for nothing else then peace of mind. That being said, I'm not an expert in this area.

Concrete is cheap compared to collapsed oven and the amount of labour that would be wasted.
              Good point
              Capt. Paul
              Granite Falls WA, USA.
              Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

If you do the calculation for the weight of a full brick oven from the hearth up, you will find the required PSI of the hearth slab to be incredibly low. Factor in where the majority of the weight is (the perimeter), and a solid 2" slab will probably be fine. Add another 2" if you want, it won't hurt anything.

Comment

Heh, and there you have it.

Comment

Yep thanks Tscarborough and Laku. I will add the 2" and re-bar for piece of mind (and because I haven't mixed enough concrete yet...... )

Tried a few cuts on firebrick to work out some angles. Glad we bought a professional grate tile cutting a couple of years back when my friend left the construction business. He had used it for only one bathroom project so it is like new. Cuts through them bricks like butter

Capt. Paul
                    Granite Falls WA, USA.
                    Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

An example:

Using the FB plans for a 42" 1 get around 1500# add 500# for slop, 2000#.

Circumference of a 42" is 132"x the width of a brick (4.5) = 594 Square Inches.

2000#/594 SqIn= 3.36 pounds per SqIn load. Assuming a normal concrete mix, it will have a 2500-3000 PSI rating in compressive strength and a comparable figure in tensile strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                        An example:

Using the FB plans for a 42" 1 get around 1500# add 500# for slop, 2000#.

Circumference of a 42" is 132"x the width of a brick (4.5) = 594 Square Inches.

2000#/594 SqIn= 3.36 pounds per SqIn load. Assuming a normal concrete mix, it will have a 2500-3000 PSI rating in compressive strength and a comparable figure in tensile strength.
                        Math...Gotta love it.... now my head hurts
                        Capt. Paul
                        Granite Falls WA, USA.
                        Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Got back to Granite Falls. Measured the thickness of the slab and it's just shy of 3" and 3.5" inside the foundation (The ply form was set .5" lower than the top of the cement blocks.) So some photos to foloow.
                          Capt. Paul
                          Granite Falls WA, USA.
                          Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Cut the Fiber Board (FB) to size being careful to place the board with enough room at the rear to hold the outer casement of the oven. To orient the cooking surface brick I used a speed square to get a 45 degree angle.

First 12"12 tile laid.

Tiles going down. The firebrick cuts like butter on a tile saw.

First course of vertical bricks being laid.

Capt. Paul
                            Granite Falls WA, USA.
                            Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Started my first and probably only, pizza oven build. We bought a half acre next to the Pilchuck river. The pizza oven will be part of the outdoor kitchen.

Progress so far is the base built. Oven bricks, FB, Insulation material, etc purchased. Design will be a 42 inch inside 21 inch oven height.

Here's pics of the base.

thanks for sharing
                              cooking gloves, bbq gloves

Comment

Working...
                              X