42" build in Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" build in Virginia

An update. I started a low fire about noon for about 1 hour. Let it rest for about an hour and refired again. Same thing, long and slow for another hour.
    By about five I was ready to go to a higher temp, did not notice any major steam coming off. Cooked pizzas at 6:30. No cracks or issues in the dome.

I think most of the moisture staining depicted in the earlier photos was superficial. I was a little concerned because there was some moisture inside the oven on the back wall. That must have been from condensation on the inside of the dome, but not a 'soaking' of moisture.

I'm wondering if keeping the door tightly sealed is a good idea on the oven? Virginia is very humid and with the rain, maybe I should leave the door off? I don't have an insulated door yet, just a cover. Any thoughts?

Comment

If it was me, I wouldn't worry about the door until I got the stucco leaks fixed. I'd put a tarp over the whole thing until I was certain it waterproof
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Leave the door on.

Comment

Yup... leave the door on. It's just as rainy on this side of Virginia. I have a cover over my oven area... that helps a lot especially for those pop up showers we get and keeps the oven dry.

Headed to Gloucester VA next weekend, I'll wave when I drive by.

Faith

Comment

Faith, have you decided on a final coat for the dome?

Comment

Faith,

Did you get that big mixer you were eyeing? So, you're gearing up for some serious baking?

Comment

Anyone with a good pizza dough recipe? I have tried several that have been posted but none have had that nice air bubble crispy chewey feel so far.

Comment

Originally posted by fabby View Post
                  Faith, have you decided on a final coat for the dome?
                  Yes, my oven is not in it's final location yet. I know I will be building an enclosure using steel studs. Then that will get a veneer of what ever matches it's location.

Yes ,I have three mixers now, 30 qt Univex, 20 quart Univex and the KA. I'm done with mixers for a while else I need to buy a new house to put it in.

Comment

Fabby, nice looking oven. Can't wait to start my dome, but it'll have to wait until I get back from vacation toward the end of the month.
                    Link to my build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
                    https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

Fabby - I have tried a couple of recipes but have settled with the 'Pizza Dough by Weight' recipe posted on the sticky by James. It has produced a puffy outer rim and firm base. I expect that different methods of handling the dough creates different results and I have settled for the method in the YouTube video How To Hand Slap Pizza Crust - YouTube and that gets good results for me.

That is my limited experience but that's what works for me.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks for checking my thread guys. I have enjoyed using the oven at least once a week thru the summer months. As the fall comes and things cool down a bit, I am trying to decide whether to build an enclosure or to put another coat of stucco and then waterproof the dome with a final coat.

I have been using the basic FB dough recipe but using a Napoli yeast sourdough starter rather than bakers yeast. The dough has been very tasty, not too sour, and very flavorful. I am currently working on perfecting the proofing times to get the best rise. A lot slower rise than using commercial yeast. Last night I made some dough and left it out all night to rise. Nice doubling in size this am. I knocked it down and kneaded again for a second proof. I plan on cooking it tonight, first time not having some refrigeration time.

Comment

Working...
                        X