42" build in Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" build in Virginia

Thanks for the info. I have since added a decorative arch and left a two inch space on the sides of the entrance, that I filled with a 5:1 vermiculite mixture. I am hoping that this sets up strong enough to buttress the archs and insulate the entry.

I know I need to get a pic in here for you to see.
    Does vermiculite ever set up, after one day, it still seems to be crumbly.

Comment

Here

It takes a while (at least a week) for the vermiculite to get hard.

The picture above is what I did to buttress my arch. I have plans for the dress up once I get it moved to it's permanent location. I did the vermiculite and the buttressing all at the same time. I will also incorporate the square concrete into the oven cover.

Forgot to say before...It won't hurt to give some curing fires before you put on the insulation.

Faith
      Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 04-29-2013, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Here are some photos of where I am at, having completed the decorative arch and filled the sides with v crete to help support/buttress the vent archs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	decorative arch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	294330

Here are some side views to orient things better

Name:	inner and outer arch view.jpg
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	294331Click image for larger version

Name:	suggestions needed to finish.jpg
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	294332

As you can see, I am stumped on how to build the chimney.

Do I start on the inner vent wall and go up, or continue up on the outside decorative wall? (Wont that look too big and wide?)

I also had a thought of getting the next larger flue size, inserting that over the flue I already have, and just fill the space between the two with vcrete as an insulator. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by fabby View Post
          continue up on the outside decorative wall? (Wont that look too big and wide?)
          Stay on the outside brickwork, you could step each course in if you feel it will be too big.
          Step each side in but leave the front and back flush, as you step in go until you just cover the hole in the brick (measure each side to make them look the same).
          Step it in until you think its right and then go flush for the rest of the chimney, dont forget to make sure it works full bricks before going flush upwards as cuts in the middle of a chimney look ugly.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

looking good

Comment

Well, I had a busy day. I added a couple courses of chimney, and now I'm trying to locate some help on trying to seal off the top. Do you think I need to go higher and add another terracotta flue?

Name:	how to top offf.jpg
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	294423

sorry about the crappy brick work. I started out with one size brick, and then ran out and had to switch to another. both were from a stack that was leftover on my property.

Comment

Do you think I need to go higher and add another terracotta flue?
                Bigger is usually better. I went up 24 inches and it draws pretty well. How high is yours?
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I had some leftover thin stone, was bored, yeah right
                  so I thought Iwould use some to cover the block

First, I tried a 3:1 mix, that didn't hold worth a damn. Then I google how to adhere thin stone, and they recommended a 2:1 mix. That was better, but still didn't support the stone. Next, I added some acrylic cement bonding enhancer to the mix. That helped, but still not great. So the question is, how do you get real stone to stick to block?

It's almost like I have to do one row at a time, and let it set, and then come back for the next row?

Name:	front chimney.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	294425

Comment

the height from the vent opening is 24".

my oven sits outside a walk out basement, lower than the side of the house. I do have another 2' flue that I can add, but I'm thinkin, this chimney is plenty big enough. I want to start insulating and stucco the dome so that I can start curing...but then some here I read to cure before I put the blanket and stucco the dome

Comment

The blanket won't hinder your cure. I personally would wait until the mortar has all the water driven out before I covered it with stucco.

Comment

I am somewhat perplexed on how to close off the top of the chimney. I was thinking of filling the space with v-crete,then a paver brick over the top course of the chimney, and fill the top with concrete.

Comment

I am somewhat perplexed on how to close off the top of the chimney. I was thinking of filling the space with v-crete,then a paver brick over the top course of the chimney, and fill the top with concrete.
                          This is how I did it - post 155. You can see the flue under the cover. I recall filling the void ( between liner and brick) with vermiculite/portland until the top. I capped it off w/ high heat mortar.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/le...d-4207-15.html

Comment

So the question is, how do you get real stone to stick to block?

It's almost like I have to do one row at a time, and let it set, and then come back for the next row?
                            Blue Tac......

Is your sand fatty, ie, has it got lots of clay in it or is it lean and mean stuff?
                            Fatty sand will make the rock stick like sh1t to a blanket.
                            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Thanks Les. Your chimney top looks great. The space between the flue liner and the top bricks has a layer of high heat mortor to seal that top? Will that crack? Or is there some other glue I cannot see?

Also, I have some leftover paver bricks, can I use that on the top course rather than the bricks with holes, or do I need to get some regular solid bricks?

I also have some leftover gray pavers I could use as well. Will they bond with mortar?

Comment

Al, what is blue tac?

Comment

Working...
                                X