42" build in Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" build in Virginia

1"-2" air space. Just butter the end of each flue and lay one on top of the other...no need to insulate here.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Nice build Fab!

Comment

Capt, thanks for the encouragement. I have been working all day, (missing the final round of the Masters.......arrrgh!), and I literally was totally wiped. I mean, I "hit the wall"

But then, I closed up shop (its 4:00 pm here), cracked a beer, turned on the tele, fired up the computer.......and lo and behold, there was Capt to give encouragement. After a day where the "dome" kicked my ass, I needed that!:

I spent the day trying to get my arch done and the my daughter helped filling in the gaps on the dome.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	filling in the outside dome.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	293868Click image for larger version

Name:	front arch sides  mortared in.jpg
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	293869

YaKnow, Dijourna pizza probably would have fooled most people. I could have just had a 'picture' of a pizza oven in the back yard and snuck in some frozen stuff. Sure would have been a lot easier.

Comment

Looking good Fabby. I am at a similar stage of my build. It is good to close the dome and recharge. I think it would be less satisfying if the process was simple and all issues resolved. Sorting out how to make it happen with what you can source or have on hand is half of the challenge.

The beer earned after a big day working on the oven is some of the best beer I have enjoyed.

Cheers ............ Steve
          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by fabby View Post
            Capt, thanks for the encouragement. I have been working all day, (missing the final round of the Masters.......arrrgh!), and I literally was totally wiped. I mean, I "hit the wall"

But then, I closed up shop (its 4:00 pm here), cracked a beer, turned on the tele, fired up the computer.......and lo and behold, there was Capt to give encouragement. After a day where the "dome" kicked my ass, I needed that!:

I spent the day trying to get my arch done and the my daughter helped filling in the gaps on the dome.
            [ATTACH]34891[/ATTACH][ATTACH]34892[/ATTACH]

YaKnow, Dijourna pizza probably would have fooled most people. I could have just had a 'picture' of a pizza oven in the back yard and snuck in some frozen stuff. Sure would have been a lot easier.

Everytime your ready to quit for the day, just think how good those pies are gonna taste, and the aroma that will float through the neighborhood.......lol

Comment

Well, I snuck out of work early today, and was able to set up and mortar my outside arch. I did not clean the bricks up too much as I am planning on another decorative arch.

Name:	lay out outside arch.jpg
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	293905[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	outside arch mortared.jpg
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	293907[/ATTACH]

I still havent decided on what to use for an decorative arch. I do have some red bricks laying around, they dont match the brown bricks of my house tho.

I also have some thin stone leftover as well. There are so many great photos in the albums here, pretty fantastic.

Comment

Gudday
                ANOTHER arch .......you not going to stop now you have started!
                Congrats

Regards Dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Flabby....., sorry couldnt help it.

Youll have to sort out some way to secure the half bricks that the arch is springing from, if not and one moves itll all come down.
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Brickie, I know I need to support the archs more. I would appreciate some help.

I was thinking of wrapping the sides with a layer of decorative brick, and then leaving a gap between the firebrick and decorative wall and filling this with concrete. This would secure the half bricks to the decorative arch. Does that sound OK?

Or how would you insulate the vent on the sides? Should I leave a two inch space and fill with vermiculite and concrete mix? Is that strong enough?
                    thanks for your help.

Comment

• Re: 42" build in Virginia

I was thinking of wrapping the sides with a layer of decorative brick, and then leaving a gap between the firebrick and decorative wall and filling this with concrete. This would secure the half bricks to the decorative arch. Does that sound OK?
                      That would secure it for sure.

Or how would you insulate the vent on the sides? Should I leave a two inch space and fill with vermiculite and concrete mix? Is that strong enough?
                      thanks for your help.
                      No real point insulating the oven where the flue sits as the inside of it is open to the atmosphere.
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

It rained yesterday, so I didn't get anything done.......but today?

Started at the crack of dawn (probably shouldn't use that word "crack" in this forum ). Trying to get my chimney laid out. Finally got things level and ready to go. I set the fill wedges and finished filling in the gaps in the dome.

Still trying to decide on a final finish. The wife wants a dome, but I think an enclosure would be easier to maintain long term.

Some new pics.

Name:	chimney try on.jpg
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	294117 Click image for larger version

Name:	done patching dome.jpg
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	294118 Click image for larger version

Name:	front chimney.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	294119

Comment

It's looking good, you're not far now from that first pizza! It's a real thrill making that first pizza after all that work.
                          I went with an enclosure because I didn't want any chance of water getting into the oven.

Take care,
                          Brian

Comment

Should I put on my insulation blankets before I cure the oven? And if I decide to form an igloo with stucco, should I wait to cure until that is completed?

I hope to post some new pics here shortly.

Thanks.

Comment

What they say, if momma not happy not body is happy, see a dome shape in the future. Chimney has a nice shape to it. I cured without insulation.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Looking good. Be sure to buttress that arch before you put any heat to that oven. The expansion of the arch brick will give you an undesired issue.

Faith

Comment

Working...
                                X