42" build in Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" build in Virginia

I think I will try to make a form and cut some bricks with my grinder and see how that goes. I like the arch deejayoh built with the fancy cuts. Anyone try this using a grinder and diamond wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by fabby View Post
      I think I will try to make a form and cut some bricks with my grinder and see how that goes. I like the arch deejayoh built with the fancy cuts. Anyone try this using a grinder and diamond wheel?
      You can do it with a diamond wheel. It'll be messy, but it looks like your oven is out in the open, so it won't get all over your house like mine!

Build your arch support then dry fit the bricks onto the support. Draw the square on the front of the bricks. Cut them with the grinder, and then flip the whole thing around for installation...

Just remember to leave enough room for your mortar gaps
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Anyone try this using a grinder and diamond wheel?
        I never have but mainly because I like to wet cut firebrick. Even low duty firebrick are pretty hard by brick standards,so make sure you get a blade that can handle it. General purpose are fine, as long as stone is among the approved material listed...these are usually better suited for firebrick. Keep a soft brick handy, and use this to 'sharpen' your wheel...a couple passes are all that is needed to wear the matrix down and expose more diamonds (or tungsten carbide depending on brand) which will really improve cutting performance.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

What size mortar gap should I leave at the closest contact of the arch? How about at the top of the arch?

I was thinking there should not be a gap at the bottom of the archs but butting them together like on the oven? The refractory cement directions recommend no more than a 3/8" inch gap?

Comment

As small as you can without creating tiny brick slivers in your arch.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

got it, thanks, I will try to cut some tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                As small as you can without creating tiny brick slivers in your arch.
                Plan on them being larger than you plan... e.g 3/8" is the goal, but be aware that you may need to cut down your keystone when you get there. Just the nature of things in my experience
                My build progress

Comment

You can make a square opening from brick if it all works and fits, just support it temporally with some timber until it has all set.
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

brickie, that looks really simple, will that hold up the oven? Are the cuts on angle is what gives it strength?

I think I would have to remove some of my dome to make room for a full size brick or my opening would only be 8.5" tall? Could I use a half brick with the same strength?

Comment

Hey Brickie - is that the Oz version of sketchup you are using?
                      My build progress

Comment

Hey don't make fun of brickie's drawing, he draws better than my 8 yr old son

Comment

Careful boys, tread lightly! You don't know how brickie, gets respect? A brick up side your head.

Comment

brickie,..smickie....I'm not afraid

aka.....flabbly from australia.

Comment

brickie, that looks really simple, will that hold up the oven? Are the cuts on angle is what gives it strength?

I think I would have to remove some of my dome to make room for a full size brick or my opening would only be 8.5" tall? Could I use a half brick with the same strength?
                              The arch will hold heaps of weight if you bond the brickwork over the top properly, you need some bearing on the underneath bricks, more is better of course.

The angle gives it the strength, you could use basically any angle, except 90 degrees.
                              Actually thats not true about the 90 degrees as thats what I did in my oven entry and its still up.

Edit:-
                              Here are the next two courses done for you, I assume that you will taking it up as a chimney, or the start of a chimney.

Remote bricklaying........gotta love it.....
                              Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-02-2013, 11:00 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                                Hey Brickie - is that the Oz version of sketchup you are using?
                                Its Vinosketch, by the time I get on here Ive done after working all day so a vino or three helps.....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X