42" build in Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" build in Virginia

I would try to use full bricks on either end, no notch cuts - and use two bricks tying together either end of your vent opening. you want a good bond between what is essentially two arches standing side by side. If the bond between them breaks your front arch becomes freestanding. you can also tie together across the top with your rectangle-->flue transition

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	293774

oh, and terracotta works fine. Many builders use that. Do a search and you will fine examples. 9 x 12 will work, it just may be a little large for the vent in terms of looks. I have seen builders cut them down by cutting down the middle and removing a few inches of vent, then mortaring back together in order to have a more reasonably sized flue
    Last edited by deejayoh; 04-08-2013, 01:34 PM.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thank you. That really answers a lot of my questions.

Regarding the chimney, what would be the ideal size, my masonry supply said that they can order other sizes in terracota if I needed.

Comment

Fabby,

Do you need vermiculite for insulating the dome?? (either vermicreting it igloo-style or filling the doghouse with loose) I just picked up bulk vermiculite and have waaaay more than I need for my vermicrete base and loose fill in the dog house....I probably have 20-25cu ft....maybe more. willing to let it go for what I paid maybe even a bit cheaper...I m in richmond.

Comment

Sclancy, thanks for the offer. The wife hasn't decided on an igloo or enclosed style yet. I was tentatively planning on wrapping with blankets and building an enclosure, but the cost of the blankets here in Richmond are 80-90ea, and I would need 3.

So you are just loose fill in your enclosure? What was the pricing on the product?

What is the link to your build?

cheers, fabby

Comment

Fabby,

Here is the link to my build -

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ven-18498.html

I am doing a 47" modular oven (not FB). The vermiculite is quite a bit cheaper than blanket whether you go igloo or doghouse. You can have 1/2 the product for $100. It will be way more than you need.

I am going to do a steel stud house over mine covered with cement board and veneer stone to match my base. I will simply pour the loose fill into the house and fill it up so I have at least 6-10" sides/top of my dome. close up the house and done....

here is a pic of how much extra i have...it is about 4'x4'x3'

Comment

As I am considering ordering my insulating blankets, I have a few questions that need some help answering. The FB blankets are $210 before shipping, 3 1" blankets.

I checked McGills and they are less than that even with shipping.

I was thinking of getting two boxes of the 2" blanket rather than 3 boxes of the 1" blanket. The cost is about the same, but I would end up with 4" of total insulation if I use the two rolls of 2" blanket, vs using three rolls of 1" blanket. How does that sound?

Will one blanket cover the 42" dome completely? Does the vent get covered?

Comment

One roll will cover your oven one layer, plus maybe a bit. your plan for 2" blankets will probably work just fine, though I imagine they are a bit tougher to lay than the 1" blankets. The stuff is not really designed for dome shapes...

As for the vent - you can usually run blanket across it with a cutout for the chimney as part of each layer.
                My build progress

Comment

Hey Fabby aka Flabby,

I just finished insulating my build, had a roll of 1.5" x 4' X 25' got two layers on with about 4'x4' piece left over. I like Al's idea of buying a cheap throwaway paper coveralls to keep from dragging the fibers in the house and in mom's washer
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

russell, where did you get your blanket from? Did you do two layers of 1.5"?

Comment

I picked it up at a surplus sale. But any refractory supply store carries CF. I would do a google and see what is locally available. I did use two 1.5" layers of CF. I cut our triangle slices of the blanket to make it form fit the dome. It is really nasty stuff, wearing good gloves, eye protection and a dust mask plus the paper coveralls would be advised.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hello, I am off to pick up my terracotta flues today, they have an 8"x8" that seems like it will work, 24" tall. Is this a good size or should I go larger, they also stock a 8x12 and larger ones.

I was thinking of going up four feet to get to the top of my future stucco house.

Any thoughts?

Comment

8X8 will work fine.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                          John Ruskin

Comment

OK, so I got two 8x8 flues that are 24" long. the ends are not tapered so that the ends will butt up instead of slip into each other. How do you connect them to go up 4'?

Are the flues insulated or do I build a brick chimney to surround? I have done a search for this and I am even more confused. NOt sure my arch will support a brick chimney, and I am running out of firebricks. I do have plenty of house bricks. Thanks for the insights.

Comment

I think you mortar them together, but they are intended to be inside a brick chimney.

you can make that out of house brick, as long as it's not exposed to flame housebrick is fine.

You can use your chimney support brick as your arch buttress. there are some ovens designed like that on the site.
                              My build progress

Comment

how much space do I leave between the flue and the brick chimney?

Comment

Working...
                                X