Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 48" brick oven from Melbourne

G'day
    What you will find as the oven dries is a sudden spike in temps. You will have used the same amount of fuel but suddenly the oven gets hotter? Really fast.
    Its time to back off ... Real fast. Instead of the water content adsorbing the heat the inside surfaces are drying and are heating up. There will be still water on those outer reaches. Water that will heat and expand and crack if you let it.
    Back off, cut back the fuel, and tease the water out. Driving out will crack your dome. 1 ltre of water will expand to 1500 ltre of steam... If you let it
    Like Colin says add the shirilite layer now and dry it out with your dome then add you dry insulation .... And then you can take your oven to those higher temps
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thank you for all the feedback,

Yesterday went to purchase 5 bags of Shiralite at Sunshine, done half yesterday and today and it's finished.
      How long this staff will take to dry?
      Hoping to start curing oven on Saturday or Sunday, unfortunately we all have to many family commitments, stop as from doing what we like !
      After curing i should put blanket on and then render or another layer of Shiracast on the top of Blanket?

Cheers Dario

Comment

Dario

Where are you situated.

I have been talking with Mark for over 2 years.

Don't worry about drying cure slowly at between 100c to 150c then 200c.
        Just keep increasing the temp. I had 50mm later of shirilite.
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

No. Do the shiralite, black as net then just render. Then seal.

Look at my build. And curing throwing regime
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin i live in Hillside,

Don't worry about drying cure slowly at between 100c to 150c then 200c.
            Just keep increasing the temp.
            Should i still use gas burner or fire, can you explain it to me more in detail what should i do next please?
            Today when i finished applying Shiralite the bricks inside the dome got very wet it's going to be like yours long curing time ?...lol

Cheers Dario

Comment

Start with curing device you bought 2 smallest rings, all day, let cool. Increase number of rings over a week. Tempering is about heat cooling cycles. I did this for 2 complete 9kg bottles before lighting a fire.
              Remember you need a non melting hose or pipe fitted.

I will add my page reference on my thread later today.

The method I used has produced no cracks. Simply heating to temp slowly works but I feel tempering cycling through heat and cooling cycles conditions the oven more effectively.
              Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-09-2014, 07:11 AM.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi again read my thread from page 70 that's around the time I started curing tempering oven finished end January.

Have Pm'd you
                Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-09-2014, 07:00 AM.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

Thank you Colin

Talk soon

Comment

Dario

During that time, I was cooking in the oven so don't waste the heat. But I went through around 2 dozen heat cooling cycles of many varied temperatures between 0 and 600c. Towards the end maintaining 500 for 8 hours.

As I said no cracks.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

I've been drying oven for about 5 days now since Saturday, started very slow and slowly increasing temperature everyday.
                      Sunday and Monday i had temperature about 100-150 during a day, over night oven cooled to starting temperature and Tuesday i start from 0c. Today oven temperature is about 200c, and will try maintaining 200-250 till tomorrow and then i will increase till 300c.
                      Got the plastic over the oven and there is no condensation coming from the dome at the moment, is it possible the dome it's dry?
                      We had nice weather since Sunday and i had my dome always uncovered during a day and over night i covered him with a tarp?
                      I'm thinking of firing a first fire tomorrow to increase temp. till about 300c. Oh and i've got some big cracks 2-3mm on the outer Shiralite shell.
                      What you guys think is it safe?

Thank you Dario

Comment

I insulated mine b4 cranking it up, over 150. Too equalise the ovens temperature more evenly.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                          Start with curing device
                          I will add my page reference on my thread later today.

The method I used has produced no cracks. Simply heating to temp slowly works but I feel tempering cycling through heat and cooling cycles conditions the oven more effectively.
                          No don't. FB have asked us not to discuss this because of the potential danger.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Dario View Post
                            I've been drying oven for about 5 days now since Saturday, started very slow and slowly increasing temperature everyday.
                            Sunday and Monday i had temperature about 100-150 during a day, over night oven cooled to starting temperature and Tuesday i start from 0c. Today oven temperature is about 200c, and will try maintaining 200-250 till tomorrow and then i will increase till 300c.
                            Got the plastic over the oven and there is no condensation coming from the dome at the moment, is it possible the dome it's dry?
                            We had nice weather since Sunday and i had my dome always uncovered during a day and over night i covered him with a tarp?
                            I'm thinking of firing a first fire tomorrow to increase temp. till about 300c. Oh and i've got some big cracks 2-3mm on the outer Shiralite shell.
                            What you guys think is it safe?

Thank you Dario
                            No I don't think it is safe. You are likely to cook and melt your hose and potentially cause a gas accident. These burners are not designed for enclosed spaces and have no flame failure device. FB have asked members not to discuss the use of home or adapted burners for this reason. I do use one but don't discuss it here.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

No I don't think it is safe. You are likely to cook and melt your hose and potentially cause a gas accident. These burners are not designed for enclosed spaces and have no flame failure device. FB have asked members not to discuss the use of home or adapted burners for this reason. I do use one but don't discuss it here.
                              I'm done with a burner I was thinking to get the fire and heat beads going for a first time.

Thank you Dario

Comment

G'day
                                Go with the charcoal, low and slow, the forno doesn't like them because possibly it concentrates the heat in a small floor space and could crack a large 50 mm tile. Put them in a tin and a couple of brick chips off the floor.
                                First Dry
                                And finally heat temper your oven.
                                Remember you have a faster build than most, you have a lot of moisture.
                                Its not DRIVING the moisture out its teasing it out.
                                Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                                X