48" brick oven from Melbourne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 48" brick oven from Melbourne

The reference to the AEI link to the arch and buttressing was a wealth of information. Wish I had seen this document when I was figuring out my dome and arches. thanks Greenman.
    jon
    jon

Comment

G'day ,

Thanks everyone for the input to get where i am today with my WFO.
      This is what i have done yesterday and today, slowly coming to a shape and looking good .
      What you guys think could i slowly start curing my Oven Before i put Ceramic Blanket on and any recommendation would be much appreciate.
      Here is few pictures.

Thank you Dario

Comment

Hey Dario - Looking good. Starting the curing fires without the insulation should not cause a problem. Moving the moisture out will be easier without the blanket.

I am still not convinced that your outer arch does not need to be buttressed.
        Last edited by Greenman; 04-30-2014, 05:20 PM.
        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

G'day
          I think of oven curing in two parts. Drying and heat tempering.
          Your ovens come ahead in a very short space of time so its still full of water. Take the time to slowly tease that out. Water boils at 100C . I litre of water expands to roughly 1500 litre of steam. That's expansion that will crack an oven.
          Low and slow .... No flame to heat the top unevenly from the base.
          A 150 watt garden light to start things off . Start burning some charcoal beads ( no flame) in a metal tray,a old baking dish ? Keep it going for 5 days
          Then insulate and start the 100c next day 200c flame in the oven process to heat temper your oven.
          Don't forget that that you have a heated oven at this stage and you can also bake some food as you go..... Its not just a pizza oven
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
            Hey Dario - Looking good. Starting the curing fires without the insulation should not cause a problem. Moving the moisture out will be easier without the blanket will be easier.

G'day Steve
            Our posts seem to have crossed. I get your point on the buttressing. Dario has a short entrance tied back to the dome. It should not require any extra buttressing.
            G'day Dario
            My oven has grown some what over time so I buttressed mine as just a sensible precaution, you don't I believe need to follow my example.
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once

My Build
            My Door

Comment

Dario,

It a little late, but there is not release space on the arch form. I hope you can get the form out without damaging or cracking your brick work.

What material are you using for your chimney, if a SS vent pipe you may be okay not to buttress if it is going to be brick or stone you need to think hard about buttressing.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Looking good Dario!

You have really set a pace. I will have to follow your build more closely or it will be finished by the time I check back in!

Have you decided yet if you will finish it as an igloo or a house style? Sorry if I missed that somewhere. I would be tempted to buttress your outer arch, as I don't think the upper bricks are tied to the dome and this is where most of the outward pressure will come from. If you are planning to finish as a house this is pretty easy to do and incorporate into the overall finish.

Andrew

Comment

Dario

Listen to Russell re getting arch firm out... You might have problems as it is one piece and will dislodge you arch. I would burn it out removing it as it burns.

and Dave re curing, I went with the dry temper approach over a month but with the blanket on to equalise the oven temperature do that it was even and now using for 4 months not one crack anywhere.

Dave and I discussed this approach for a bit and I liked it and it works I was driving moisture out for around 4 weeks. Put plastic over (Karachi suggestion) and you will see the moisture.
                  Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Thanks Steve, Dave and everyone.

I haven't change nothing about arch and i'm not going to buttressed i think i don't needed, hm time will tell. I like the way it looks and i could be wrong but i will take a risk.

Dave thank you for instructions for curing.

It a little late, but there is not release space on the arch form. I hope you can get the form out without damaging or cracking your brick work.

What material are you using for your chimney, if a SS vent pipe you may be okay not to buttress if it is going to be brick or stone you need to think hard about buttressing.
                    Russel you are right, it was hard to take the playwood out and i did chip few bricks but i manage to take it out with out further damage...
                    Stainless will go on the top as a chimney nothing fancy similar to this pictures.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030622.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	304211

Name:	P1030623.jpg
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	304212

When i put blanket on after curing my oven and i Cover with Shiracast layer i really never used one i don't know how hard is Shiracast. Can Shiracast help holding my front arch not to buttressed or it's just work as a insulator?
                    I know someone reply it works as a insulation i could be wrong?

Thanks Andrew and Colin...

Cheers Dario

Comment

G'day
                      That shiracsate is going to introduce more water into the build better to put it on now and dry it at the same time as your brick work. Dry your brick then put wet shiracsate and then put your dry insulation both the brick and the dry insulation will absorb the water..... Back to square one.
                      With the entranceway there's no need to buttress in my opinion. Its tied back to the dome and in reality is not a big structure. It has become practice to buttress more and more nowdays as more ovens entrances are separated from the main structure by a heatbreak. I buttressed mine cause along the way it gained an arch entrance and a 630 mm wide brick chimney and is now 2 and a half bricks deep. ( makes a cool outdoor fire place)
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once

My Build
                      My Door

Comment

Thank you Dave,
                        Don't know should i put Shiracast now or just to put blanket on the top once i finish curing?
                        People seems to have identical outcome, reading other builds there is no right or wrong way?
                        I've got gas burner today and i am ready for curing but just need to decide how am i going to finish the oven, blanket straight to brick work or Shiracast then blanket then Shiracast again and then render.

Name:	P1030636.JPG
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	304216

Colin seems the gas burner worked well ?

Cheers Dario

Comment

Hey Dario - Just my .02 worth but I wonder how much improvement to the performance of the oven the Shiracast will make or if it is necessary at all. I just went with the blanket over the brick then vermicrete on top of that and then a render/stucco layer followed by an acrylic coating.

If the Shircast is going to seal the brick then you would be best to get the water out of your dome before applying it if you go down that track.

I did fill the gaps in between the bricks of the dome with home brew mortar as I built it and that left it relatively smooth before the blanket went on.

I agree with Dave that there are two processes involved being drying and curing the oven.

Good luck with it. I thought that my build was fairly quick but yours is about to touch warp speed.
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thank you Steve for pointing that out, no Shiracast. Blanket on once it's dry.
                            I'm starting curing oven tomorrow or Thursday and will follow what Dave have suggested. Start nice and slowly and today Ive got 16kg of heat beads from bunnings it was on special $22.

Cheers Dario

Comment

Hi Dario

Check my build out. Used similar went the Shiralite option first for a very good reason. And that was to lock the done and any potential blanket fibres getting through any cracks. With shiricast it will provide greater thermal mass,

I still struggle with the blanket then vetmicrete order, hence me using shirilite first. But in the end they all simply just work.

It was also recommended by a commercial furnace builder. So far it has worked a treat. I then cured/tempered this before putting the blanket on to ensure afl moisture was removed.

Putting blanket on first you have the problem of then getting the blanket really wet.

But if then rendering gets wet anyway. But not as much.

Just my 2 Bob's worth
                              Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-05-2014, 08:03 PM.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Water was still coming out weeks later.put plastic over it when curing but take it off when you see moisture as the moisture end up back on the casing.
                                Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-05-2014, 07:58 PM.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X