Starting a 30" Pompeii oven in Minneapolis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting a 30" Pompeii oven in Minneapolis

Got the forms for the stand done. Ran out of time to pour the stand tonight. Will get it tomorrow.
    George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

Originally posted by gastagg View Post
      Got the forms for the stand done. Ran out of time to pour the stand tonight. Will get it tomorrow.
      Looking great. Very interesting shape. I cannot wait to see it standing on it's own.
      Chip

Comment

Well, I got the stand poured today, barely. Following the advice of my architect brother and a civil engineer friend, I rented a concrete vibrator. After pouring about 1/2 the concrete, I started to vibrate the concrete and the forms started to blow out where I was vibrating. You can see the pics. Once I removed the vibrator, everything was fine. I added some additional braces and finished the pour. A little bulging here and there with the hardboard as you can see. I used a mallet to vibrate the forms once I was done to remove air pockets.

If I did this again, I'd obviously use thicker boards, add more braces, and have my civil engineer friend perform what he calls a "form inspection" before the pour. But at this point, I am just thankful that the forms held and that that the concrete is level and setting.
        George

See my build album here.

Comment

Interesting thing about engineers, they think everything needs to be built to the code/specifications of something much larger/stronger/faster than the actual thing being built. Which is something that has stood over a thousand years with little or no mortar in a volcanic earthquake zone and built by people who knew nothing about mathematics and had no concrete or vibrators.

A Pompeii oven.

Btw I am glad it held.
          Last edited by mrchipster; 05-23-2015, 08:52 PM.
          Chip

Comment

Well I can't blame them...I should have built more bracing. But as you said, glad it held!

George

See my build album here.

Comment

Originally posted by gastagg View Post
              Well I can't blame them...I should have built more bracing. But as you said, glad it held!

It's just that the vibrator was overkill for the project, you already had reinforced 5 inch walls....
              Chip

Comment

Can't argue with you there. And it cost me $40 to rent too!
                George

See my build album here.

Comment

Took the forms off today...am pleased with how it turned out. One one more concrete pour to go!
                  George

See my build album here.

Comment

Place a waterproof layer between the lower section and the next slab. It will prevent any moisture for wicking from below.

This is one of the things I should have done but read about it after my slab was poured.
                    Last edited by mrchipster; 05-27-2015, 06:58 PM.
                    Chip

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation! Will definitely do that.
                      George

See my build album here.

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far. I am planning slab dimensions that the oven will sit on. Am trying to increase the size of my oven by 2" (30" to 32"). I have been planning 3" of blanket insulation. Am doing igloo so won't have any other insulation. Is 2" of 8# density thermal blanket enough and just keep the size of my slab the same, or do I need to go ahead with 3" of blanket and increase the size of my slab?
                        George

See my build album here.

Comment

Working...
                        X