X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoma
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Ken, I believe you mentioned sticks for supporting at times? Les, this might be the way to go. You and Ken likely have the cleanest looking ovens, not to say others aren't great, these are CLEAN and AMAZING.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Ken, it's looking fantastic (as from the start) How are you supporting the 10th course without forms? Is the mortar allowing you to set them that easily? I know you went to thirds and my plans have me cutting brick less than one inch on the interior dimension. I may re-think my approach when I get to the 8th because gravity is already jerking my chains

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Totally agree with you guys on forms free. That is the exact reason for me going that path. You feel free.....

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Wow! It looks more impressive with each course. And stiil no forms? The inside is so clean and neat. Are you sponging them?
    Dusty

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    I want to be able to get to the inside of the oven to clean and mash in the mortar if I have to.
    That's the biggest benefit I see with going no forms. You can see right away if your mortar work is ok on the inside. When I pulled the form off my arch, I had a lot of touch up work to do!

Leave a comment:

• Kemo
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that most of the current domes are being built without forms? Les, Dave, Wayne, KC, Sarah, Frances, Paul and a few others are all building form free.
    Ken,

Ill be going no forms as far as I can based on what Dave mentioned. I want to be able to get to the inside of the oven to clean and mash in the mortar if I have to.

BTW, your oven is immaculate. Mine looks like a pigpen compared to yours!

Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

• Ageo308
    replied

Very nice looking dome their Ken. Im sure you will cook some great meals in it

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Hendo View Post
    I've been thinking of going to thirds, but am concerned about straight joints. You don't seem to have had a problem - just the odd cut brick? Or was it not quite that simple?
    Paul, the row of thirds worked out very well. I only had to make 2 or 3 custom cut bricks to keep the joints from lining up. The lighter weight bricks made laying them easier.

Your dome is looking grand!
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Hendo
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
    I just finished the next course using 1/3 bricks. It was much easier than the last. The slightly smaller bricks made a big difference.
    Ken,

I've been thinking of going to thirds, but am concerned about straight joints. You don't seem to have had a problem - just the odd cut brick? Or was it not quite that simple?

Your dome is looking grand!

Cheers, Paul.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I think most want to be able to clean inside their domes.

I did have to use a few sticks for temporary supports.

I freaking ran out of bricks today, and can't get any until Moday.

I just needed about 5 more to complete the two outside arches and flue hole.

Sad day in dave land.

BTW Ken!
    Awesome as usual man!

Gonna finish another course Sunday?

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Acoma,

I'm not trail blazing new territory with the "no forms" approach. Honestly, I haven't found it that difficult and I'm as klutzy as they come.

Has anyone else noticed that most of the current domes are being built without forms? Les, Dave, Wayne, KC, Sarah, Frances, Paul and a few others are all building form free.

When I first started looking at Forno Bravo, most of the builders were using forms.

Seems like a trend developing!

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Ken, you are kidding? No support from below on the latest course? What a stud. I am watching carefully, seeing that your ways set great example for ovens to be.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

11th Course complete.
    So far, so good. I may be able to finish without a form or support from below.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

That's very clever. Great idea! I just finished the next course using 1/3 bricks. It was much easier than the last. The slightly smaller bricks made a big difference.

Leave a comment:

• wlively
    replied

Great looking dome Ken.

When I got up that high I cut a "floor" out of scrap foam board and rigged a piece of all-thread to prop it up against the edge of the last course. It worked great for holding the bricks from sliding and keeping the two course edges lined up. When the entire ring was set, mark the new floor size, remove, cut and reinstall for the next one.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X