X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken524
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

8th Course completed earlier this week before the rains.

The last photo shows where I corrected for the poor workmanship done on the transition (I fired that guy!). Everything should be close enough for the 9th course to be fairly level. I may hit a few edges with the grinder.

Hendo's pictures of his microscopic sized joints have inspired me to shoot for a bit of improvement for course 9.

Time to start cutting bricks before the next round of rain!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Nice jig Dmun! That's a good idea.

Danny, I'll second (or third) the motion for using a wet saw over a dry saw. The dust goes EVERYWHERE. The few times I've used my wet saw without water for quick cuts, I've been sorry.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Originally posted by Dannyboyblue View Post
    Also Dmun, can such an attachment as you showed be put on or was that just theoretical?
    Absolutely. You wouldn't want to use a real sine plate, of course. It would turn into a solidified mound of rust within a week.

This shows my 7.5 degree fixed angle jig, screwed to the table using angled strips. Now imagine if that piece of plywood was hinged to the table instead, next to the cut line. Then you could put blocks under the table to achieve any angle you wanted.

Here's how a sine plate works. The hinge, and a matching bar, fixed to the hinged table, are exactly five inches apart. A table in Machinery's Handbook, or a simple trig calculation, or a guesstimate with a protractor, will tell you how high to raise the table for every desired angle.

You can then tilt the brick on top of the tilted table for compound angles.
    Last edited by dmun; 10-15-2007, 04:24 PM. Reason: fixed table link

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Danny - go with the wet saw. It's really not that hard to get a close enough cut. You don't want to be anywhere near the amount of dust a dry blade is going to kick out.

Les...
    I second that ! I dry cut my whole floor and some halves... Messy work.. If I had a do over... I would of waited and saved for the HF saw!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Danny - go with the wet saw. It's really not that hard to get a close enough cut. You don't want to be anywhere near the amount of dust a dry blade is going to kick out.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Dannyboyblue
    replied

No problem and thanks for the clarification. I suppose that a compound brick saw doesn't exist. At least I haven't found it. So I'm wondering what would be better (easier/faster/safer) in the long run cutting dry with a dual compound miter saw or fiddling with wedges and shims with the hf wet saw?

Also Dmun, can such an attachment as you showed be put on or was that just theoretical?

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

But I'm still baffled. The saw looks like it's not adjustable enough to do the precise cuts that some of you have been doing. It has a 45 degree miter fixture, but what do you do if you need a 12 degree cut?

Danny,

Sorry for the confusion. I don't have a compound miter saw, just the plain old simple Harbor Freight saw.

What I was trying to say is that I am making cuts like those you would easily make with a compound saw.

To make these types of cuts with the HF saw, you have to use clamps, scraps of brick, wood or whatever to position the brick exactly where you want it on the table. Once you have it set up, you can mass cut bricks.

A true compound brick saw would be wonderful for this!

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

I'm still baffled. The saw looks like it's not adjustable enough to do the precise cuts that some of you have been doing. It has a 45 degree miter fixture, but what do you do if you need a 12 degree cut?
    It's true. A sine-plate like attachment would be a really good accessory to the HF wet saw. I made a fixed sloping attachment I bolted to the table for the many 7 1/2 degree cuts needed for my bricks. You can mark the angle needed with a protractor, and hike the brick up with a block of wood. You'll also get really good at freehand cuts with a little practice - that's how I cut all the complicated shapes needed to transition from the dome to the flue. Just make sure you have the smooth diamond blade rather than the segmented one if you are going to get up close and personal to it.

Leave a comment:

• Two Dog's Brewing
    replied

Ken finally the answer I was looking for I was looking for a pattern or something and never say anything. I notices some people dont taper the the soldiers. I really like the look of that!.

Ok so you can cut a bunch of bricks the same with a jig right? I would guess that each course has a unique shape and unigue only to its respective course. I know there will be a bunch of custom bricks but with that answer I am getting ready.

Thanks all

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I am not positive, but I believe they use shims to hold the bricks at the appropriate angles. Like under one side to hold part of it up.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Dannyboy, Les and Ken will likely respond today with how to handle that. Others may as well. Hang tight.

Leave a comment:

• Dannyboyblue
    replied

Thanks, Acoma & asudaveasudavew. But I'm still baffled. The saw looks like it's not adjustable enough to do the precise cuts that some of you have been doing. It has a 45 degree miter fixture, but what do you do if you need a 12 degree cut?

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    Dannyboy, go to Ken's Picasa album. There, you will see the compoud miter they are referencing.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

This is the link to the saw most people are using. After my experiences, if you can afford it. Grab it!

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Dannyboy, go to Ken's Picasa album. There, you will see the compoud miter they are referencing.

Leave a comment:

• Dannyboyblue
    replied

What compound miter saw do you have that has a water pump? I've been looking around but it seems like all the compound miter saws are designed for dry cutting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X