• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken524
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Originally posted by Brauma View Post
    I think I can answer that one, Acoma. He did that so that the vertical mortar joints stay staggered and don't line up.
    Bingo! You answered it better than I did.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    1) Why no entry cut for a door along the wall?
    2) Why the 1-2" width cuts throughout the 5th and 6th course?
    Good questions. The arch you see will be the door jamb. The vent arch will be about 1/2" higher and wider, leaving a 1/2" jamb for the door. I've seen some very clever and more structurally sound methods for doing the jamb, but for my planned design, this will be the easiest route.

My design is heavily inspired by Balty's. This picture of his entry will make better sense:

Second question: The narrow blocks are placed as necessary so the vertical joints on two adjacent courses don't line up. Every course seems to need 2 or 3. This is one of the biggest challenges I've run into. I've made a couple of boo-boos, but for the most part, it's working out ok.

Leave a comment:

• Brauma
    replied

Originally posted by Acoma View Post
    I think I can answer that one, Acoma. He did that so that the vertical mortar joints stay staggered and don't line up.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Ken, I love the look. Your dome is clean and shaping well. Two questions:
    1) Why no entry cut for a door along the wall?

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

One more pic... Interior through the entry arch:

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Finished the 6th course this afternoon...

Transition detail:

Kind of cool that it no longer looks like a model of the old Cincinnati Reds stadium and is starting to look like a pizza oven!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Before we went out of town last weekend, I finished the 5th course:

Here's some detail of the arch/dome transition starting to take shape:

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by biondoli View Post
    Hi Ken,
    are you happy with your Harborfreight saw? did it work ok? I am planning to build the oven and I was thinking to buy the same you have, thanks Carlo
    Carlo,

Yes, I'm very happy with the HF saw. Go for it. If I did it again, I would buy the replacement warranty that they offer when you purchase it. My water pump is starting to go on the fritz and I'll probably be shopping for a new one this week.

Leave a comment:

• biondoli
    replied

Hi Ken,
    are you happy with your Harborfreight saw? did it work ok? I am planning to build the oven and I was thinking to buy the same you have, thanks Carlo

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Dave, you are so close. Don't rush the process, and take a photo.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Are you progressing?

Any new pictures?

I've managed to redo my arch, but I have some big joints on the outside of the dome. I am, however, making some progress.

I think I'm on about the 4th course after the soldier course. It is really starting to turn in, so I will see how well the bricks "stay" in place on the next course. And trying to tie in the arch with dome, isn't so easy either.....

But I can taste the pizza already!

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Brauma View Post
    Question: did you stack your cinder blocks dry with no mortar? Looks like it.
    Yes... Dry stacked, then filled every other hole with concrete and rebar.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

[QUOTE=rlf5;16312]I may just have to load up on ceramic blanket b/c my left and right sides aren't going to leave any room for vermiculite if I go with the enclosure.

Ken

You can get away with the insulation idea without the loose vermiculite if you do the enclosure. The loose vermiculite for the enclosure, in addition to the steps I shared (compliments of Jim) is added insurance for the dome. If you still want the enclosure and you go with the insulation steps I mentioned, you should still have a solid, well insulated dome for the oven. I ask that if anyone out there disagrees or has better method, please share.

Leave a comment:

• Brauma
    replied

Ken, I'm new and just reading your great thread for the first time.

Question: did you stack your cinder blocks dry with no mortar? Looks like it.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
    In other news, I'm off to the lab in NM next week. Just in time for the annual hot air balloon fiesta! I guess thats good reason to stop construction for a bit
    Yep, the Albuquerque balloon fest is definitely an "excused absence"!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X