X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken524
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

As you all probably have noticed, I've been taking a lot of pictures along the way. I thought of a fun project to make use of all my photos. It's sort of a time-lapse documentary video of my dome construction.

When the enclosure is finished, I'll update it so it's complete from start to finished.

[edited on 4/25/09 - updated link to finished video]
    Dedicated to Forno Bravo:
    Pompeii Pizza Oven Construction Video

I created it with Windows Movie Maker.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Ken - are you planning on solidifying the sides of your arch? We have a very similar situation. If we load the top of the arch, the force is pretty much going horizontal. I have a concern it might "blow" the wall. Before I build my entire vent, I was going to build up the sides. Whats your thought?
    Les,

I've read about this "bowing" possibility in other threads. I'm not sure I agree with it. Once the mortar sets in the arch, the arch is a solid object resting on the side walls. Any weight on the arch should be translated vertically to the walls. The sides should only be pushed outward if the arch isn't solid and starts to flatten out. That isn't going to happen unless some really bad mortaring took place or the mortar doesn't cure. Arches, given their geometry, are incredibly strong structures (even sloppy ones <G>).

Assuming what I just stated is completely wrong, my brick vent box is built on both sets of vent arches. The inner arch side walls are tied to the dome and aren't going anywhere. They have 4 courses of dome supporting each side. The outer vent side walls are mortared to the inner side walls giving them additional support.

Combined with the light weight of the DuraTech chimney system, I think I'm pretty safe leaving it the way it is.

Has anyone actually seen and reported first-hand their vent sides "bowing out" or is this a theory someone came up with that has folks worried?

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Dannyboyblue View Post
    Ken what kind of pipe is that? What is the reasoning behind using a steel chimney as opposed to making it all out of brick?
    Danny,

It's an 8" DuraTech Anchor Plate (Forno Bravo store). I'm using the DuraTech chimney system suggested by FB. It'll be a *lot* less heavy then using bricks or flue liner all the way up. I would be a little concerned about the weight of all the bricks on my arch.

I'm not well educated about chimney systems, so I'm going with what's suggested. Other comments about the DuraTech (which is heavily insulated) indicate that it stays relatively cool on the outside and can be placed in close proximity to finishing materials without being a fire hazard.

Hope that helps!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Ken - are you planning on solidifying the sides of your arch? We have a very similar situation. If we load the top of the arch, the force is pretty much going horizontal. I have a concern it might "blow" the wall. Before I build my entire vent, I was going to build up the sides. Whats your thought?

Fantastic job on your vent by the way, looking good!

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Dannyboyblue
    replied

Ken what kind of pipe is that? What is the reasoning behind using a steel chimney as opposed to making it all out of brick? Still looking great by the way.
    d

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    What size is the opening on the transition? I need to go bigger.....
    But I am just not sure how!
    Dave,

My transition starts out underneath the arch and is pretty much the width of the arch, then slants upward to the top of the arch where it's about a half brick deep by about 13" wide (5 bricks on edge)

The transition is simply a square brick box with an 8"x8" interior sitting on top of it. I cut the lower bricks in wedge shapes to conform to the arch. Easy.

Will it work?? Beats me! I've never built one of these before.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Man thats a nice transition. I didn't have the patience to lay bricks for mine.
    I considered casting or doing some sort of metal work, but in the end the bricks were actually the easiest for me. It really didn't take long at all. Most of it was spent waiting for dry warm weather to get out and do it.

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
    Its a shame you're gonna cover up all that fine work with an enclosure.
    I'm taking a LOT of pictures!
    Last edited by Ken524; 11-16-2007, 07:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Man thats a nice transition. I didn't have the patience to lay bricks for mine. I'm trying not to rush, but I'm anxious to be done. Its a shame you're gonna cover up all that fine work with an enclosure.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post

I'm going to give the vent a good week or two to cure before starting to play with fire.
    You have much more patience than me Ken! I didn't wait long enough.. But (and James would agree) cracks add character!

I was wondering what you have been up to, and now I see.

The vent looks great!

A question for you though:
    What size is the opening on the transition?
    I need to go bigger.....
    But I am just not sure how!

I will be anxiously waiting for fire pictures.
    Last edited by asudavew; 11-16-2007, 02:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

After a spell of cold weather, rain, and work I was finally able to finish my chimney transition today... And that also completes the oven!

Next task is to start assembling insulation, studs, and enclosure materials. Tomorrow I head out to the sheet metal roofing places and look at roofing material.

I'm going to give the vent a good week or two to cure before starting to play with fire.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Thanks Ken. I ordered two bags of refmix yesterday from FB and it is sitting on my porch already today! I'm hoping that if I make most of the joints narrow enough that two bags may be enough mortar. I'll find out soon enough as I am anxious to get started.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Dannyboyblue View Post
    I though you had left both your floor and the space between your floor and your soldier course without mortar.
    You are correct... sorry for the confusion! I should have specified the dome and arches.

Leave a comment:

• Dannyboyblue
    replied

I used HeatStop50 (dry) for everything. All joints are mortared.
    I though you had left both your floor and the space between your floor and your soldier course without mortar.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by dusty View Post
    ...I don't want to be wishing that I would have done this or that.
    I feel the same way. I'm not in a big hurry to get it fired up. I really enjoy engineering and design. I'll probably start preliminary work on my enclosure before starting a fire, just to make sure the mortar has adequately cured in the dome and vent.

When you cut two bricks and there is no space between them for mortar- like you so often did- how did you "glue" them together? Is there a small bit of mortar in there? Ref-mix? Heat stop?
    I used HeatStop50 (dry) for everything. All joints are mortared. After buttering a brick, I place it into position and tap it until the excess mortar oozes out. Sometimes I ended up with a great joint, sometimes I needed extra mortar to fill the gaps. I ended up with a big flat spot on the handle of my father-in-law's mortar trowel from all the tapping . I think I owe him a new one!

I was surprised at how smooth the HeatStop is. It really is like creamy peanut butter. You won't have any problem getting tight (or fat) joints with it (and Refmix is supposed to be even better).

Here's a photo of my finished floor.
    It's looking super. I'm looking forward to watching your progress. Keep up the great work!

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Actually, I'm enjoing the the challenge now that I finally get to start the dome. My project is an outdoor kitchen and there were many steps to finish before I could begin...They're done! I've been looking forward (and working towards) the oven part of the project for a month.
    I appreciate your attention to detail. I figure that that oven is going to be around for a long time. I want to be done, but when I am, I don't want to be wishing that I would have done this or that.
    Ken, another question. When you cut two bricks and there is no space between them for mortar- like you so often did- how did you "glue" them together? Is there a small bit of mortar in there? Ref-mix? Heat stop?

Thanks,
    dusty
    Here's a photo of my finished floor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X